Rate this topic

BearBoy

Does a Type-S machine provide any improvement in sound quality over a Type-R machine when playing back LP2 recordings via an external DAC?

Not sure whether the benefits of Type-S are applied during the digital to analogue conversion within the MiniDisc player or before that point. Specifically talking about the MDS-JB940 and MDS-JB980 if that is relevant.

100% agree with sfbp. Noting that the "given" here is that the recordings to which Type S is applied are of equal quality. Just wondering, I mean, if every Type R recording on every Type R machine is the same quality. Would be interested to know, as an aside, if your SQ via external DAC exceeds that of the native 940/980 DAC. I have an external DAC (Musical Fidelity V90), but I use it for optical out from computer.

5 hours ago, bluecrab said:

Would be interested to know, as an aside, if your SQ via external DAC exceeds that of the native 940/980 DAC. I have an external DAC (Musical Fidelity V90), but I use it for optical out from computer.

I've got a few options I can try. My 940 and 980 are both currently set up in my office. Over the last couple of years I've picked up some Sony QS separates from eBay (SACD player, cassette deck and the two MiniDisc decks) that I have connected to a pair of Tannoy active speakers via a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 audio interface. 

The reason for the query was that I was toying with the idea of moving one of them to, or picking up a third deck for, my living room. Here I would have the option of connecting via the analogue outputs to my Marantz amp, connecting via digital to my Marantz amp or connecting via digital to my Marantz CD player (an SA8005) and using that as the DAC.

MDS-JB940s are generally a fair bit cheaper than the MDS-JB980s. I suspect this is mainly due to the NetMD functionality the latter has but I've never used that and it isn't a factor for me here. It really boils down to whether to get an extra 940 (cheaper, more connectivity options) or a 980 (Type-S, group function). I do find the group function really useful, especially for MDLP discs, so I am sort of leaning towards getting another 980, but was wondering whether there would be a difference in sound quality to consider. 

When I get a chance I'll shift both players to my living room and test out the various options. 

6 hours ago, bluecrab said:

100% agree with sfbp. Noting that the "given" here is that the recordings to which Type S is applied are of equal quality. Just wondering, I mean, if every Type R recording on every Type R machine is the same quality.

I could make this part of my test and compare recordings made on different decks (I've also got an MDS-JE500 and a couple of portables I could throw into the mix).