MD Cover like those on minidisccover site

Rate this topic

pedrothelion

Hello PhilippeC,

Thanks for the help but it's not what I'm looking for...
I bought a pile of these cases

4178pRJV9ML._SY355_.jpg

I printed this cover through the site minidisccover

frontside_zpsplvhimui.jpg

But I'm NOT interested in printing the backside (unfortunately the site prints both)

NObackside_zps8uwxv1p2.jpg

I wonder if there is a software or a separate template to use with Word or Photoshop that allows me to do the same but more customizable (for example by choosing a different font or paper size).

You don't need of software but a template. You can easily draw it yourself in Word, measuring the exact place of the case where you want :

- to stick it (exterior side of the case)

- or just introduce it inside the case (like a cover for a K7 case...without the shorter part with holes) : please note that if the cover has not three parts, the paper will quit the case easily, that is why a sticky exterior solution is better for you

On 18/07/2017 at 5:34 PM, pedrothelion said:

Thanks Pedrothelion! I was looking for some of these a while back but without luck. Have also found them on the UK Amazon site here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MiniDisc-MiniDisk-Cassette-Wallet-Hochklar/dp/B00X2KBLU8/

Hi Pedrothelion,

I just purchased 50 of these cases from Amazon Germany last week! I do have some minor issues with the minidisccover.com website. The main issue for me is the distorted quality of of the minidisc logo because of the small scale size of the case itself. There is also a lot of distortion if I save to PDF instead of immediately printing. It is also annoying that I do not have the ability to match the color of the left and middle parts of the table to the right (main) part of the table. I wish I had the ability to directly enter the color hexcodes to make sure the color matched not only in the front cover but the rear as well. I am learning more about how I can manipulate the covers by right clicking and inspecting the elements. Despite these minor issues, I am grateful for the website, as these disc cases were impossible to find just last year. I have also had issues scaling compact disc sized front and rear covers down to the minidisc case size. I will try to learn how to create the covers in Adobe Photoshop. I am waiting for the cases to arrive so that I can take the proper measurements and lay the covers out in Photoshop.

MiniDisc cover site - Gloria_Estefan2_Page_1.jpg

After playing around with the html/css on minidisccover.com, I have made a lot of progress in terms of customizing the album covers in the way that I need, resolving many of the issues I mentioned in my last post. The only problems I have when I save to PDF are distortion and I lose the color in the left and middle tables.

2017-07-20.png

2017-07-20 (1).png

6 hours ago, dynamicdrew said:

After playing around with the html/css on minidisccover.com, I have made a lot of progress in terms of customizing the album covers in the way that I need, resolving many of the issues I mentioned in my last post. The only problems I have when I save to PDF are distortion and I lose the color in the left and middle tables.

2017-07-20.png

2017-07-20 (1).png

Hello, I followed the advice of Philippe and draw two templates by myself. I can say I am extremely pleased with the result. I have attached 2 pdf one for folded template and the other for regular as minidisccover site. I took the measurements from the inside cover of an HiSpace MiniDisc and l'll post my MD pictures with covers when the cases come in. Anyway, it would be nice if you can create a running script separately from the minidisccover page.

#MiniDisc Jewel Case Folded.pdf

#MiniDisc Jewel Case Simple.pdf

5 hours ago, PhilippeC said:

I don't know why, no way for me to reach minidisccover.com from Vietnam

Did you translate my Laserdisc Plaza topic ? 

I just found this video :

Hi PhilippeC,

I have seen this video and found his process to be quite labor intensive. I have not had a chance to translate your post on the Laserdisc Plaza website.

Pedrothelion,

I will try to see if I can run the html/css code in Dreamweaver, as it has a wonderful preview mode and is more wysiwyg. I found that you can simply delete the back side of the cover from the html/css code by right clicking "Inspect Element" in Firefox or "Inspect" in Chrome over the entire area of the back cover, then right click on the line of code highlighted when you do this, and select "delete node" in Firefox or  "delete element" in Chrome, and no more back cover will appear! This was also how I removed the pixelated Minidisc logo, which I will later replace with a vector version of the Minidisc logo.

What is so important with the MD cover of minidisccover  ? If you prefer a sofware than a template in Word, I advise you to use instead exPressit SE3.1 (software still available and free on the web). There is not an exact template done for MD box but you can use one like ZIp cartridge (yes it is boring to use another one but after trying out you will feel OK.

The MD template (cover on the MD itself)

170721073458921250.png

These templates are fine if you're just producing a MD with a single album on it...but if, like me, you're using the huge capacity of a MD to store several albums/a mix of artists/works, you have to think outside the box (sic)  to fit all the information in.

I create my own templates on my Mac (using Pages or Word) for MD covers which fit inside the traditional case, and have multiple folds to contain all the info, eg:

P1070441.JPG

It would be great if there were MD cases that were just a little bit thicker to manage all the folded paper/card....

There is other software for designing stick-on MD labels, eg Discus (www.magicmouse.com) which has been around forever, is a little clunky but works just fine. It has the scope to do all kinds of artwork, and not just for MDs - hundreds of printable templates.

A few screenshots which show the Discus process and possibilities: 

1.png

2.png3.png

6 hours ago, zzzuppp said:

It would be great if there were MD cases that were just a little bit thicker to manage all the folded paper/card....

Like this CD case :

170721040037824464.jpg

I don't remember where I have found it on the web. I kept a lot of empty DVD cases

$_35.JPG?set_id=2

and still then, I am thinking of something similar to the previous Cd case

Even much more, qualia017 has made a fantastic job here

but his pictures are not anymore available, I just sent him a PM