Currently manufactured MD hardware and blanks

Rate this topic

MD80

On 4/4/2018 at 7:32 PM, BearBoy said:

No Sony hardware has been made for many years.

Sony still make these blanks though.

Thanks. We're lucky these blanks looks good. Too bad, of course, none of the cool colors from back in the day :) I'm glad I still have a super large collection of various blanks.
Hardware wise, the last one might be the MZ-RH1 (from May 2006)

On 4/4/2018 at 7:39 PM, BearBoy said:

The only hardware I am aware of that you can still generally find new are the Tascam combination CD/MD decks:

Tascam MD-CD1mkIII 

Not sure if they're actually still manufactured or whether shops are still clearing old stock.

Looks pretty good! It's tempting as it's new and most 2nd hands you don't know how long they'll last

On 4/4/2018 at 8:07 PM, MRhart said:

Ebay has tons of MD gear, (new, used), and MD media. As far as finding new gear I would have to suggest going to Sony USA for any

thing new that might be in manufacturing. Sony stopped making MD hardware sometime ago, but I would still think Ebay, or try the portal:

http://www.minidisc.org/index.php

Yup, I also checked Amazon Japan, they have an assortment of blanks, not too crazy though. Ebay I avoid as the prices are extremely high.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 10:58 AM, MD80 said:

Looks pretty good! It's tempting as it's new and most 2nd hands you don't know how long they'll last

I bought a second hand Tascam MD-02 from eBay. You can tell how much they have been used as they are able to report how long they have spent recording. Mine had only done 16 minutes!

6 hours ago, chri5 said:

I bought a second hand Tascam MD-02 from eBay. You can tell how much they have been used as they are able to report how long they have spent recording. Mine had only done 16 minutes!

Wow Chris, I could not find a used MD-02 on eBay even in "sold items" - how did you find such a rare and beautiful creature?

http://www.avc.hr/en/sales_programme/products/md_02/

I would not buy a RH1 as a first or even second unit. There are others Hi-MD units with a good chance of longer life. But for me, first generation (pre-MDLP) & Net-MD units are the best for a long durability. Decks are good too, specially JAxES, JB & JE series

2 hours ago, PhilippeC said:

I would not buy a RH1 as a first or even second unit. There are others Hi-MD units with a good chance of longer life. But for me, first generation (pre-MDLP) & Net-MD units are the best for a long durability. Decks are good too, specially JAxES, JB & JE series

Same here I don't need Net MD etc. Just old school Audio MD. I still have a Sony MZ-R900 but it's showing signs... that's why I'm looking to buy another one, preferably a portable one.