MZ-RH1 Settings for decent playback

Rate this topic

Hi All,

I've tried searching but become very confused, so please forgive my lack of knowledge; I'm trying to learn fast!

I have recently been lucky enough to be given an RH1, along with a few 1gb Hi-MD discs and some standard 74 minute ones.

All my music is stored in FLAC format at the moment on my PC.

My plan was to mount the FLAC tracks using Daemon Tools and then rip them to Sonic Stage, and then onto my RH1.

My question is, what settings should I rip at and then transfer at? This is where I get all confused between ATRAC, ATRAC3, lossless, LP2, LP4 and all the associated bitrates.

My goal is to find a happy medium between sound quality and storage size. I have transfered the FLAC files to SS using ATRAC lossless and then onto my RH1 at 132kbps. I think this is LP2? From my limited knowledge this would seem ok - it sounds pretty good anyway.

Any help is most welcome!

LP2 (ATRAC) is indeed 132kpbs and is found to be acceptable to many/most MD users for general listening. You'd get about 16 hours on a 1GB disc at that bitrate.

Otherwise I'd suggest using 192kbps (ATRAC3) for a good compromise transfer from ATRAC lossless in Sonicstage to MD. Keep the lossless files in Sonicstage for future transfers if you have the space.

256kbps (ATRAC3) would be even better quality and may be as near to 'CD quality' as you'd want. The time per disc drops to just under 8 hours then.

ATRAC is the older version of ATRAC format compatible with pre-Hi-MD devices. ATRAC3 is the newer Hi-MD version. These are both lossy compressed formats, ATRAC lossless is compressed losslessly, as the name suggests, so good for computer storage but not compatible with any portable MD/Hi-MD devices or decks.

17 hours ago, trott3r said:

I would convert flac to wave. Then transfer wave to sonic stage. Then you can write to md in sonic stage

Wav does not support tags, then if you have the choice convert Flac to Wma which is fully supported by SonicStage and still has tags.

11 hours ago, KJ_Palmer said:

LP2 (ATRAC) is indeed 132kpbs and is found to be acceptable to many/most MD users for general listening. You'd get about 16 hours on a 1GB disc at that bitrate.

Otherwise I'd suggest using 192kbps (ATRAC3) for a good compromise transfer from ATRAC lossless in Sonicstage to MD. Keep the lossless files in Sonicstage for future transfers if you have the space.

256kbps (ATRAC3) would be even better quality and may be as near to 'CD quality' as you'd want. The time per disc drops to just under 8 hours then.

ATRAC is the older version of ATRAC format compatible with pre-Hi-MD devices. ATRAC3 is the newer Hi-MD version. These are both lossy compressed formats, ATRAC lossless is compressed losslessly, as the name suggests, so good for computer storage but not compatible with any portable MD/Hi-MD devices or decks.

You mean

Atrac old --- Atrac3 MDLP --- Atrac3plus Hi-MD 

dbpowerbank can convert your Flac files to WMA lossless. The trial version can do the job by pack of a dozen files but if you don't have 10.000 files to convert at the same time, that will be good enough. I don't advise then you use SonicStage as a player (in the case you would think so) for your real time recording, I find the sound very poor compare to foobar2000 and other players But SonicStage - and Soundforge pro which can create Atrac files - seem the only one to make a Net-MD transfert.