MDLP compatible MD disc

Rate this topic

klwk

• 3 weeks later...

Philippe

Thankyou for the reply and sorry to the original poster for the hijack.

The problem I have with the minidisc org is the lack of matching information.Just to know the release date of the shelf systems would be great as I could avoid all made prior to 2001 therby ensuring MDLP capability.

Are there any other points of reference available please?

kind regards Paul

Minidisc.org is the best reference we can have. There are some other web site like https://sites.google.com/site/crazyforminidisc/ or https://mdchannel.shutterfly.com/pictures/5 

In the minidisc.org browser, choose a page like

http://www.minidisc.org/system_table.html (bookshelves)

then the release date appear near "Intro:"

Just search "MDLP" to find all units which supports MDLP or any useful information like "type S" or "optical out", etc.

12 hours ago, paulsrje said:

Philippe

Thankyou for the reply and sorry to the original poster for the hijack.

The problem I have with the minidisc org is the lack of matching information.Just to know the release date of the shelf systems would be great as I could avoid all made prior to 2001 therby ensuring MDLP capability.

Are there any other points of reference available please?

kind regards Paul

Date doesn't do it unfortunately.

If you stick around you will know I hate the word "just" - it usually indicates an unwillingness to solve the actual problem. Here the problem is to find out something that's actually quite well documented. The systems are listed in approximate order on minidisc.org, too.

Yes Stephen,  that is why I try myself to drive our gentle members to find themselves most common technical information with the minidisc.org browser... 

There is also another french reference : https://www.jonathandupre.fr/articles/17-minidisc-md/ (Google Traductor) made by @jonathanpotato

I suppose that many other web sites exist (in german, japanese, etc).

You are absolutely right, both of you (and thanks to you each).

I have found that the only foolproof way to know what you're getting is to follow the development of the ATRAC chip. Take the example of the MDS-JE530, after looking it up at minidisc.org. Looking through the schematic you will see that the version of I121 (on pp 41-42) is CXD2656R. This being one of the last SP-only decks made by Sony, and the requirement for MDLP is that you have CXD2662 or better. 2664 is the last revision of those chips, being the addition of Type-S to the playback (although the recording side is unchanged relative to 2662).

In portables the story is slightly different (because the chip is included in a monster ASIC that has other functionality too, but the chip name at IC801 still starts with CXDnnnn). There are a lot more portables with MDLP. The last listed portable without MDLP being the MZ-B50, it has the chip number CXD2660. At least there on the outside the "MDLP" is prominently written (or not). All HiMD units are automatically Type-S (which includes Type-R). All non-HiMD units have prominently written on them whether they are Type-R or Type-S, so you can generally look at a picture and tell.

GIYF = Google Is Your Friend. It's good to be helpful; it's also good to take advantage of the abilities of google et al.

Here's an example of what I mean: Suppose you want to know if a given unit may be MDLP capable. One way to determine that is , as sfbp mentions, is to identify the ATRAC chip. That's not always easy. But if you look around online, you can often fine the service manual for the unit, check the schematic, and locate/identify the ATRAC chip. Sure, it's a bit of legwork, and there's no guarantee of success, but even without success, there's always a good chance you'll learn something new along the way. Anyway, that's been my experience.

I am definitely not saying that one should not ask questions, only that one should be as resourceful and inquisitive as possible.