New Techmoan MiniDisc Video

Rate this topic

BearBoy

On 7/1/2020 at 4:28 PM, PhilippeC said:

I watched it all... and I agree with him on 3 things (portable units)

- buying junk units could make you losing your money after all (but he did that for the demo and by design curiosity) 

- better buy a complete unit set with almost all the accessories than the unit alone cheaper

- Sony is the best even if some brands have done some particular nice looking units or well-built units

His choice of auction lot was poor. Lots of basic units, but from non-Sony/Sharp manufacturers. No remotes or AA battery packs included, so very hard to properly check if units might work. You need those things BEFORE you get that sort of bulk lot. Not a lot of recorders, so less value overall. 

Yes, that's true. But they are two different ways. One is like buying a pack of lollies you can see inside. The other is a pack of different lollies you won't know until you open the packet. Also, a complete unit set still might not work. A bulk lot can have working units. Different sellers, different approach to testing. 

To each their own. Different sounds, looks, weight, remotes, etc

• 1 month later...

If i had infinite amounts of money I might have squandered $500 on the printer and a couple of cartridges that some kind soul is retailing on eBay. Neat as it is, I don't care enough, especially since the gizmo only works with SP disks (or that's what it looks like). Something in the protocol for MDLP must be different (remember the "LP" indicator?)

A few things occur to me in relation to that latest video: 

- What's the point of putting track titles on a label that you're then going to insert in a machine so you won't be able to see them?

- For the effort involved (using Google translate not the least of them), you may as well make your own print template on a PC and type it up/print it yourself: then you can save it on the comp and edit if you ever change the contents.

- The fonts and labels are pretty ugly, IMHO. Another reason to design your own.

- If that machine can extrapolate the titles from the tracks on the disc, unless it has some kind of Shazam-like reader you must have gone to the trouble of writing them to the TOC in the first place so why do it all over again?

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, PhilippeC said:

OMG Sony Insiders is back... What has happened @sfbp Stephen ?

Still waiting to hear the inside(rs) story........

We did have a report just before the site went down that it seemed likely all passwords were compromised. IF you use any password here on some other site, you had better change both pretty quickly.

Nice to see you, too Philippe.

3 hours ago, sfbp said:

We did have a report just before the site went down that it seemed likely all passwords were compromised. IF you use any password here on some other site, you had better change both pretty quickly.

Might be worth putting something in the Announcements sub forum about this? People might not see it here?

9 hours ago, sfbp said:

Still waiting to hear the inside(rs) story........

Nice to see you, too Philippe.

tried to change password, cant remember what it is, looking at the amount of dots its not one i use nowadays anyway, as to change it requires old one, oh well

10 hours ago, Richard said:

Indeed.. (re)bonjour Philippe!

Sounds like a good idea 👍

So far I have refrained because I don't want to panic everyone resulting in the death of the site.

The easiest way is to get an automatically generated one which is saved automatically, eg by Firefox but I am sure there are lots of options. The important thing is NOT to use the same PW in multiple places. If there's anything you care about, that is, on any of them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

For completeness I’ll add his belt change video (although I think most of us here are already pretty experienced at this).

Applies to most consumer and pro decks, combos and hifi units from about year 2000 since they all use one or other variant of the MDM7 drive (MDLP Type-R, Type-S and high speed dub units).

I’ll add again that my preferred supplier for the belts is Charles Holt who had belts made to our spec for this drive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194744734027

See the link on the minidisc wiki repair page for the same belt change:

https://www.minidisc.wiki/guides/repair/e12-belt

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Richard said:

Interesting to see it in action, but it's a bit before my time with MD. Titling on the computer was already the norm when I got into minidisc. 

I was the opposite. All my titling back in the day was done using the remote that came with my MDS-JE500. I only discovered the joys of PS2 keyboards and computer based titling in the last few years. I don't remember using the remote being that much of a chore at the time but the later developments certainly made things much easier.

I've also now got what I suppose is the deck equivalent of this: Control A1II between my CDP-XB740 and MDS-JB940.

• Like 1

I always wondered what those two pins were for. The MZ-NHF800 has them, also, for the special inline radio that comes with it (I never got mine to work for more than a few days) and I have no idea if the pins do the same in both. Circuit diagram experts, can you enlighten us?

• 7 months later...

Thanks, I opened it up and checked the NiCds. Looks like they are ok though there was a bit of corrosion around the contacts, but nothing coming from the battery. I am assuming that whoever sold it to me replaced them before shipping it off - would that everyone is so knowledgeable.

The SRS-Z1000 looks like a nice speaker assembly. What's out there that compares with that, I wonder? I can see one on Yahoo.jp but it's gonna cost me $150 before I'm done. Not sure they are that desirable.

Glad to hear your example hasn't suffered the same fate as Techmoan's. Looks like a really smart hybrid type of set up.

There are loads of powered speakers about - lots of musical instrument shops stock them for home studio monitoring purposes. I've got a pair of Tannoys set up in my office, which I listen to MiniDiscs through whilst I am working. Not too sure how common they are in silver though if you wanted something to match aesthetically.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:36 AM, sfbp said:

Thanks, I opened it up and checked the NiCds. Looks like they are ok though there was a bit of corrosion around the contacts, but nothing coming from the battery. I am assuming that whoever sold it to me replaced them before shipping it off - would that everyone is so knowledgeable.

The SRS-Z1000 looks like a nice speaker assembly. What's out there that compares with that, I wonder? I can see one on Yahoo.jp but it's gonna cost me $150 before I'm done. Not sure they are that desirable.

Hi Stephen & Bearboy, long time no see you (as vietnameses use to say)

The MZ-R5ST is the ONLY "portable" with digital output. I think someone from the Intellectual Property department at Sony must have leaned on them after that? Mind you it doesn't do digital out until you plug it in the base station. It's also (essentially) an MZ-R50 which is held by many (but not all, some prefer the R30 or R37) to be the pinnacle of Sony's engineering. Solid as a rock, mechanically and aurally. Only drawback (and some say it's not) is no MDLP.

I was surprised that I could order a whole stack of NiCds for under $10. More ways to pollute the planet.....

Nice to hear from you, Philippe.