Sony MDS-B5 with new laser has low sound output

Rate this topic

I recently had a new laser installed in my Sony MDS-B5.

The technician noted that installing the laser was quite a tough job. While he'd replaced lasers on countless CD units, this was the first MD deck he'd worked on.
The unit appears to function perfectly except for one problem: when playing the same minidisc, the output level of the sound on the repaired unit is much lower compared to both the MDS-B6 slave deck and a MSD-JB940. Both the MDS-B6 slave deck and the MSD-JB940 are much louder than the newly repaired unit.

My tech will have a look at I wanted to ask here for opinions and ideas. Is there some setting I cannot see on the MDS-B5 that has lowered the output volume?

Thanks for any advice!

I have been using the analog-out ports. Jonathan in France kindly pointed out that a simple adjustment of the trimpots on the back (directly below the SLR analog ports) offered the simple solution. I didn't realize those holes were trimpots. After making several adjustments, the MDS-B5 is functions perfectly with its new laser.