MZ-NH700 Re-Calibration

Rate this topic

McLovinGR

Hello everyone,

i just bought a Bulk of MiniDisc Stuff over eBay and the Package came with a nearly mint MZ-NH700. However, powering Up, it brings the Error Code "ERROR EE". After some quick research, i found out the previous Owner perhaps reset the Device over the Service Mode and now it needs re-calibration. Is there a Guide or Tutorial how to this, if even possible? Thanks all for your Time!

Greetings,

McLovinGR

Sorry I'm not at home right now or i could walk you through it

mean time you will need three things:

1. A CD minidisc (prerecorded from a commercial manufacturer). Doesn't matter what music

2. A completely full nornal minidisc. The best is to record 80 minutes of anything and then (i honestly don't remember why) clone it to be a single track of LP4 (5 HRS 23 MINUTES).

3. A blank 1GB minidisc (brand new if humanly possible).

I seem to recall it may also help to have an 80minute disk formatted to HiMD. This will help at some point, and you should also have a blank ordinary MD on hand. It may not be so easy if you don't have any other MD machines.

Can't do much more now. There are some tricks but really you do have to align first to the CD. Also a regulated power supply (maybe you can borrow one). To keep power supplied in service mode i strongly suggest BOTH the 3V adapter AND a brand new alkaline (1.7V ie not rechargeable of any kind). RPS are expensive, usually a few hundred bucks.

We can continue this in 10 days but that's all i have for now.

kind regards

i would strongly recommmend brand new. The problem is that SonicStage frequently hangs up when you first connect a 1GB disk which has been erased. if there's nothing wrong with the player then it's fine but it can easily get into a vicious circle. Erasing it with one of the HiMD decks works, but most don't have access to one. Sonic Stage tries very hard to recover track rights even from a formatted disk.

Once you have one set aside for this purpose then you can do any number of alignments. That's not much comfort.....

36 minutes ago, sfbp said:

i would strongly recommmend brand new. The problem is that SonicStage frequently hangs up when you first connect a 1GB disk which has been erased. if there's nothing wrong with the player then it's fine but it can easily get into a vicious circle. Erasing it with one of the HiMD decks works, but most don't have access to one. Sonic Stage tries very hard to recover track rights even from a formatted disk.

Once you have one set aside for this purpose then you can do any number of alignments. That's not much comfort.....

OK, thanks for clearing that up. Now i know what to look for.

• 1 month later...

Well this topic seems to have gone quiet, so I'm not sure if the OP has lost interest?  I'm still interested in learning how to carry out alignments / adjustments as I have a poorly MZ-RH1 that is showing ERROR EE.  I have a pre-recorded MD, a blank new Hi-MD and another, working Hi-MD unit on which I can presumably make the other discs required.

Where I've got to so far is that I've been able to carry out the CD test using the pre-recorded MD, which has worked OK.  I'm stuck at the next test which I think should be a normal MD formatted to Hi-MD mode - when I try to run this test, the sled stays on the left, pushes left like it's trying to go backwards, and makes some odd noises.

I'm thinking perhaps the unit needs other adjustments carrying out as it's possible that the previous owner has tried to service it and messed things up.  It's been stuck in service mode since I purchased it and was advertised that way - a cheap purchase for me.  

Sorry if I am highjacking this post as I appreciate that a different model is being discussed, although I would assume that the process is reasonably similar between Sony HiMD recording units?

No worries... all the same topic. I will shortly get my hand on McLovin's unit and (like the breakfast, old joke) I'm sure it will all come back to me.

Yes you need a HiMD formatted 74 minute disk (not sure about 80) and you need to put about 5 minutes of music on it. A couple of tracks to be safe. It's not good enough for it it be formatted blank HiMD (don't ask).

Find the status byte at 0931 and see if it's set to 01.

More later, busy right now.

• 2 months later...

How did this work out?

I just got an MZ NH700 that's not reading my MD's correctly.

Sometimes it even says "NO DISC"

I think the previous owner messed with it because in the service mode it says
Ver 1.200

I've checked with http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/11021-entering-service-mode-on-a-hi-md-player/ and there it says 'ver1.100'

Not well. The unit never managed to play any disks except 1GB (very odd, that), and is now sitting in a small pile of machines marked "for spares only".

As to your query, it would appear that this machine had new firmware from somewhere which is either:

a. a Sony upgrade or

b. someone put the guts of another machine into an NH700 case. Is it possible that NHF800 had that firmware build number? The two models are effectively interchangeable, of course the latter has the radio remote which almost invariably ceases working reliably after a while.

In short, I don't have an answer for you. Each actual model number seems to have that first number the same (eg 005=NH700, 003=NH900, 006=NH600, 007=DH710), but the firmware version of later models can still be lower (eg DH710 is 1.000).