MDS-E12 keeps TOC reading without disc.

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I know a similar subject has been covered here about replacing the belt. I'm sure that's what I need to do too. The problem is I can't get at the belt because the disc is stuck inside the drive. All the videos I've seen (including the Russian one) show a drive that's empty. Can anyone please advise me on how to remove the disc? Thanks!

Well.. first you should be prepared to remove the drive completely from the E12 so it has no power and is otherwise not constrained. Then it should be a simple matter to convince the mechanism to spit out the disk by turning the driven pulley by hand very gently.

If you encounter resistance then this is the problem, more than the belt!

Is the desk trying to eject (as in a weak belt)? Can you "help it out" when it's trying to eject? This might be easier with the lid off and the drive unscrewed carefully from the deck, then trying to eject. Of course being VERY CAREFUL to avoid any mains voltages inside the unit around the left hand side front panel where the mains switch is and the rear left where the power supply board is.

Yeah, that's more like advanced technician mode, Kevin. I was trying to avoid suggesting that publicly, as accidents have been known to happen, read about here on the board.

Take it slowly and carefully and watch how the drive fits together. Don't force anything. While you have it apart it should be possible to check the belt. If you get it off, you will see immediately if the belt is stretched relative to the replacement one that I assume you have in hand. Be very very careful not to bend or disturb the OWH (above the laser) or scratch the laser (Optical Pickup or OP) when you follow the recommended direction to use a paperclip or other device (tweezers) to position the new belt. I actually thing something inert (spudger set made of plastic, or matchstick) is safer.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced the drive belt in my MDS-E12 in a few minutes. (Thanks to the Youtube videos and even a Russian video link posted on this forum) But I have another problem now. When I powered the MDS up the screen did it's usual "initializing", then said "TOC reading"..."Read Error"..."Welcome!"..."TOC reading"..."Read Error"..."Welcome!", etc., etc..

It seems to think there's still a disc in the drive. I push eject but it just repeats the same messages. Did I forget something in my installation of the belt? Is the slider not in the correct position or something? 

I posted this a few hours ago but it got removed somehow. Don't know why. I replaced the drive belt because the unit wasn't ejecting. After replacement, I powered it up and the unit did its usual "initializing". Then it immediately went into "TOC reading, followed by "Read Error", followed by "Welcome!", and repeated the same three messages, all without loading a disc. What's happening? Is the slider in the wrong place? It seems like the unit thinks there's a disc inside, but there isn't. Please help me out here. Thanks!

Have you tried inserting a disc and ejecting it or will the machine not ‘grab’ the disc?

We have recently had a huge discussion on belts here if you’re bored:

To all newbies: please put your location in your profile - at least your country. Then we know what time zone you’re in and even someone local who might help out.

Kevin

11 hours ago, Mocker said:

I posted this a few hours ago but it got removed somehow. Don't know why.

Because it's the same subject as the other post. In any event, it wasn't removed, it was merged (if the merge didn't work correctly please accept my apologies).

Merging.......

BTW "Initializing" is NOT normal behaviour. It means something drastic changed in the drive and it's resetting itself.

3 hours ago, sfbp said:

Because it's the same subject as the other post. In any event, it wasn't removed, it was merged (if the merge didn't work correctly please accept my apologies).

Merging.......

BTW "Initializing" is NOT normal behaviour. It means something drastic changed in the drive and it's resetting itself.

Sorry about that. I thought it was another topic. I'll be more careful.

About the "initializing", my other MDS-E12 (I have two) does that also, if not plugged in for an extended period. On first power up, it flashes "MDS-E12 PRO" then "initializing", then "No Disc". After that first power up, it skips the initializing on subsequent power ups. BTW, I just noticed that the unit I'm having the problem with flashes "MDS-E12" on power up, not "MDS-E12 PRO". They are identical units. Could that be a clue to what's happening with it?

Well, I fixed it!

I took it apart again to see what I could see. The slider mechanism was all the way back in what was apparently, the disc-loaded position. I slid it completely forward and powered up the MDS and it initialized, then went to "No Disc". I loaded a disc and it grabbed and loaded it. Ejected normally too. All is well. Thanks for your help.

Still don't know why two identical MDS-E12's flash different names on startup though. ('MDS-E12" and "MDS-E12 PRO")

11 minutes ago, 2many said:

I have 3 e-12’s and one e-10 they initialize like yours IF left unplugged for an extended period. None say pro after the model #

so you must have an early or a late one. A special one?

Could be special. I also noticed the "Pro" E12 has four small rubber feet underneath that the other E12 doesn't have. i've owned these for years, both purchased new, about a year apart. Never noticed these differences before.  

8 minutes ago, 2many said:

Wow! The rubber feet would be handy if you were not rack mounting it. Is that one the pro?

Yes, I don't rack mount that one (PRO). I carry it in a laptop-sized zipper case, made of rugged 600-Denier material, the interior is lined with foam padding. I can operate it without taking it out of the case too, which is a plus. It's my travel MDS. The other one is rack mounted and is my home use only unit.

Ok. The regular decks don't do that. I've only ever seen the init messsage after (for example) test mode or unplugging the ribbon cable or ...?

Maybe the pro decks are different. Glad you figured out to move the mechanism. I have a feeling it was the self-contradicting state it found itself in that triggered the init. YMMV.

Stephen

There is no coin cell backup battery or any other separate battery in any of my units E10, E12, JE5xx series.

Edit: I was wrong above. There is a Panasonic ML2020 or similar in all "recent" machines (at least since 520, probably before). It's main purpose is to preserve a modified TOC is mains power is lost to the machine before the TOC is updated on disc.

I did replace this battery in one of my E10s, but it didn't solve the problem I was having, even though the cell was reading a little low (even after having the machine switched on for a while which charges it).

Kevin