Print a picture on a minidisc (A4 paper)

Rate this topic

multiwirth

Hi there,

i haven´t found a good solution for printing labels for my minidisc´s.
I´d love to print out some album arts that i can glue onto my minidisc but i don´t know the resolution i should use in order to get the correct size on a din a4 page.
The minidisc´s placeholder for a label is rectangular and the usual pictures from album arts are a square so my idea was to create a rectangular label with the picture and below this maybe the album name in letters with a matching backround color to the minidisc itself or the album art.

I´ve uploaded an example label.
So i just need the right pixel X pixel to fit on the minidisc properly if i print it on din a4.

example2.png.66e690f061afa344da0d98e2f93aedfe.png

(ETA apologies I’ve mis-answered your post. There are MD templates about but I can’t put my finger on a URL yet. Have a search on ‘techmoan’, he’s a YouTube Vlogger who has done a number of excellent minidisc videos. I’m pretty sure there is a label template linked on one of his 2019 minidisc videos.)

You can only have a square label on a pressed ‘CD’ minidisc. You can’t have a square full side label on a recordable (magneto-optical) minidisc because there has to be a hatch on both sides. The top side hatch is for the overwrite head which is needed during record. Pressed commercial minidiscs can’t be recorded (they are pressed just like CDs) and so only need the hatch on the underside for the read laser so the top side can just be full plastic allowing for the whole side label. 

9 hours ago, kgallen said:

(ET Have a search on ‘techmoan’, he’s a YouTube Vlogger who has done a number of excellent minidisc videos. I’m pretty sure there is a label template linked on one of his 2019 minidisc videos.)

You can only have a square label on a pressed ‘CD’ minidisc. You can’t have a square full side label on a recordable (magneto-optical) minidisc

Yeah i know techmoan and have seen some of his minidisc videos but can't remember one with printing labels.

I also don't want to cover the full minidisc.

There's a area on the left side designed to attach a label and that's the place i meant

IMG_20200103_185714_872.thumb.jpg.0e16188b7ef8a60d4ceaddc4a68d0d35.jpg

Yes I realised after re-reading your post that you hadn’t meant the full side (but I cheekily left my original comment in case it helped others understand the difference).

I think there is a recent techmoan where he discusses the Mark Ronson release on MD/8-track/CD and expands a little to talk about today’s offerings for MD (BandCD.co.uk) and 8-track duplication. In it he talks about labelling and I seem to recall the video author comments had a bunch of links including label templates. Sorry if I’m sending you on a wild goose chase...

• 2 years later...

I know this is an older post, but maybe I can contribute.

The size I used in both Photoshop & Gimp are below. I created a new "page" using those settings. You can

use whatever graphics program you like. I don't know of a program with templates for MD labeling.

Size: Minidisc shell label space = 3.6 cm x 5.3 (448 pixels x 637 pixels) @ 72 dpi (Sony style disc label area)

Size: Label slip case = 7.2 cm x 5.3 cm (862 pixels x 650 pixels) @ 300 dpi

The paper I use is Avery sticker paper (#3383) or you can use a full size (A4/US letter) shipping label. I run

it through an inkjet printer. They always turn out well.

Also, be sure to save the label so you can use it again as a template if you like. Photoshop/Gimp are great for

this as you can save it with the layers and just replace the album artwork on the layer.

mdpic.jpg