Sony MZ-RH1 - display replacement needed

Rate this topic

Stachu

Hi guys

After a number of years, I recalled I still have the Sony's MZ-RH1 Hi-MD and found out it's still working and in an almost perfect shape. Even its original battery works fine, other accessories, too. Said "almost" because once I started to use it again, its OLED display faded quickly and it's almost unreabdable now - except when in total darkness.

I know it's a common issue so I tried to look for a spare display and to learn is it possible to replace it but no luck.

I wonder if any of you have any information is it still possible to buy the diaplay and how to replace it? Except the display, th unit looks/works like new so that would be a pity to put it back into its box...

Any info would be much appreciqated!

Greetings

Stan

IMG_1755.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

If you can keep it powered (mains adaptor) can you keep it ‘lit’ for a while to see if that helps rejuvenate it?

Almost certainly a different type of display, but when I got my MDS-JE520 out of retirement a couple of years back the display was very patchy. It’s had a lot of use since then and the display is near perfect now just through being on and used. 

Could be a red-herring but worth a try?

Hi there, thanks for such a quick reply! The display was brigther at the very beginning I started to use it and it faded over a couple of next days. I don't have its original power supply or it's still there in my attic and can't find it yet) but do you think that if I power it via USD would do the trick?

Stan

Yep any reliable power - I assume battery won't last long that's all.

I could be way off the mark with this idea on this machine. But I'm sceptical that such a new machine would have a bad display. Sony wouldn't use such a poor performing component in their products. I've learnt on this forum that often the problem is a simple one. Replacing displays and lasers are not simple solutions!

Let us know if you make any progress.

Ok will give it a try and will come back with an update.

BTW, AFAIK the Sony's OLED technology in mid-2000th wasn't perfect and their OLED displays are prone to fade over time ad their organic component gets too old or something like that. Maybe that's the reason...

You could be right I guess. The 520 deck has a fluorescent display. Your RH1 display looks a bit 'fluorescent' (cold white) but you're right, it's OLED, so I'm probably off the mark. I'm no expert on displays. Still would be surprised Sony's displays were that bad though - a quick google suggests Sony had OLED TVs in 2007 so the technology should have been pretty mature by then, and the display on the RH1 is tiny compared to a TV.

AS you've read in the Web MiniDisc thread, Stan, I have the same problems with BOTH my MZRH1s. On one of them the display on the right of the screen has gone completely, on the other the display comes and goes randomly. It is well-known that the OLEDs don't last...

I started a thread on the same subject a while back 

and krisnaadi's reply mentioned that you could pick up a Remote screen which might work with the MZRH1. Alas his link to eBay now leads nowhere...and it seems it was/is expensive .

However, some people (with more patience and skill than I) have managed a repair but it looks really complex and fiddly.

There are some YouTube videos. NB the third video goes really fast but you may know that you can slow YouTube videos down by clicking on the wheel at the bottom of the screen in YouTube itself -