Sonic stage 4.3 start up problem

Rate this question

Sre

Question

Hi i have a nw hd 5 player and have just tried starting up sonic stage 4.3 on my laptop and whether the hd5 is connected to the laptop or not when i start sonic stage it comes on the screen with info displayed (albums etc) but after about 5 seconds closes off and i'm back to the homescreen.

Can anyone help.

24 answers to this question

Stephen will say the same in a moment, but many users seem to have success with SonicStage on Win10. There are instructions and popular downloads on this site to help with that including SonicStage and drivers that work on Win10. Also several recent topics have covered this. Also take a look at the hit Web Application thread that's currently running.

Sorry, I have next to no knowledge on SS/NetMD, but before Stephen comes along and points you in the right direction, it's worth having a read of some of the information referenced above/below.

Web Application thread

Downloads (drivers etc)

it's quite hard to get SS installed if you are not an administrator. maybe that's not what you meant.....

yes Microsoft just cleared everything out for you. now you have to install again. it should work but when it comes to drivers you may have trouble

sorry to say but we need a lot more details about your setup. resetting windows may have zapped any database that had music in it.. i dont know

Thanks for the replies. I'm now not sure if i am an administrator user (because i don't actually know what it means!!!!!) What i really want do is put more music on my nw hd5 and i'm not particularly computer savvy so i could use as much help as possible.

Go ahead and install SS (from this site) from scratch. With any luck it will recognize your device. The bigger problem is going to be your music. Depending on what format it was in, you may have lost it when you reformatted the Windows drive in your "reset".

Hi sfbp, i have reinstalled ss and restarted my laptop, but when i open ss it comes up on the screen for 3 or 4 seconds then closes. This is what it was doing before i reset the laptop. I have disabled my norton antivirus to see if that was preventing it from opening and staying on but it made no difference. Any thoughts?

Do you know how to take a screen shot? We're going to need to *see* what's happening to you. There has to be some message somewhere telling you what's going on. Also anything in the Windows logs would be very helpful. Generally applications don't "just close" without a very good reason (such as they crashed, or you told them to).

But first of all we need some details: Versions of Windows including 32-bit vs 64-bit, make of computer, RAM in GB, hard disk capacity and free space.

I'll get my HD5 out and hook it up and see if anything strikes me. I am running Windows 7, however.

Hi sfbp. Its a toshiba L670,windows 10 home, 4096 ram, x64, drive c 232gb 160,38gb free space, drive d 232,49gb 102,51gb free space. I can't take a screen shot but ss only shows itself for 3 or 4seconds anyway and there are definately no messages coming up of any kind.

So describe what is there for 3 or 4 seconds. That's generally the length of time the blue rectangle shows.

I think (there are no guarantees here):

a. you have to install as administrator (you can do this by right clicking the file and saying "run as" but you still need an administrator password).
b. you have to run the program as administrator

At the moment I am thinking your install failed. Don't despair, simply run it again, without trying to uninstall anything.

time to learn about your logon account and how to change it. In control panel there's a User Accounts.

Anyone can take a screenshot,  please read up on it. You have to be able to communicate to us whatever it is you see. Uploading that screenshot takes a bit of work but I or someone else can help you with that.

Hisfbp, i am running as administrator. I have installed itagain without uninstalling anything. This is what is coming up. I took photos because i couldn't fathom out the screenshots.

1st. do you want to allow this app etc

2nd. Small sonic stage on grey screen

3rd. It starts to show details

4th. Sonic stage start up comes up to complete the set up.

However all of this comes up while the blue timer is still turning and as soon as it finishes (4seconds or so) and the pointer arrow comes on the screens close down. Sometimes it doesn't even take a few seconds and as soon as i click on the allow changes box it closes down. Hope this helps.

20200510_170717.jpg

20200510_170733.jpg

20200510_170801.jpg

20200510_171127.jpg

Hmmm. In the fourth and last shot, you show a menu where you are invited to click "Next". And I see no blue circle indicating it's busy. Are you saying you never get to click on that button?

Thanks for the time to set up the photos. Screen shots are easy - Alt-PrintScreen. Then you need to find the image and turn it into a not-too-big jpeg, maybe with Picture Editor or Paint, before posting.

Hi sfbp, I never get the chance to click the next button,either everything closes when the blue circle is still running or it closes down as the arrow comes up. Either way there is definately no chance of carrying on with the set up.

And you definitely ran the program as administrator?

Go check and see if you have DEP (Data Execution Prevention) turned on for all programs. It should only be on for Windows (system) Programs. You can find that in System properties - Advanced.

Other than that you've got me. Time to check for virus. (And the old joke - Windows is the virus you cannot eradicate).

Sooo weird.

Never seen this before.

When it "reset" Windows, did you notice were any other programs missing?

I'm wondering if it's time to take the bull by the proverbial horns and eradicate all traces of whatever install you had. This stuff works, on countless (different) machines. There's something weird about your setup,,, I just don't know what.

I can try to help you do that.

Hi sfbp, i have just solved the mystery. I wasn't logging in as an administrator properly when i thought i was, and now that i am sonicstage is loading properly. So i can login as administrator to view sonicstage then log off and back on to my account for all my other stuff. Many thanks for all your time and effort i certainly couldn't have figured it out without your help.simon