Favorite discs?

Rate this topic

M1JWR

Has anybody got a make and model they like best, i am well aware to the most part they are as good as each other, well apart from memorex which always got bad press, dont have any of those, i have mostly maxells, they were most easily got around here back in the day, you used to get md80 pro's in asda, the ones in the green packets, they have actual gold coloured discs, info at the time was that the ones with actual gold coloured discs were the best, probably sales hype, so the jury is out on that one, have quite a few md 74 golds aswell, now before you all go checking tdk mdrxg's and early sony premiums/prism's, they are standard, shall we call it silver, the plastic on those is made to look like they are gold coloured, i have 3 es discs, nowt special about those if you can call it that exept the cases are white, but they look and feel the same as standard sony colour series etc. still have some xl2 pros unused about 30 or so and mdrxg's about the same, 74's and 80's keep me going for awhile incase i ever need to break out a new one.

one more or less sounds as good as the other really, everybody will have a make and model they like best, always had a soft spot for those green md 80 pro's myself, they can go for decent bucks on the bay nowadays, new or used.

take care everybody.

The only disc I’ve ever scrapped is a TDK RXG where the disc surface looked like it had gone ‘rusty’ - specs of reddy brown in patches. It wouldn’t read or record. Otherwise I have Sony, TDK, Maxell, BASF, maybe the odd Sanyo. Some look nicer when in the wrapper than when unwrapped!

1 hour ago, M1JWR said:

Has anybody got a make and model they like best, i am well aware to the most part they are as good as each other ...

one more or less sounds as good as the other really, ...

I fully agree.

Which MD disc sounds better is a similar question to which make of a computer hard drive (or flash memory) sounds better - when playing an audio material stored on them in a digital format.

They all must sound the same ... On the disc there are only digital 0-s and 1-s stored, and the ATRAC DSP chip does the conversion before the data is written to (any) disc. In other words, the device does not know, what make of an MD disc it shall write to. (Well, it actually does, in case, as the lead in area can contain such information, but that has nothing to do with sound quality.)

Manufacturing quality, longevity, durability, reliability, even "look-and-feel" might be valid bases for comparison, but not the sound quality itself. I mean, excluding where sound quality is impacted by unreadable (or misread) bits from the media - that is rather related to those above.

My personal preference: Sony Premium, TDK MD-RXG, 60 and 74 min. only, and black shells only (don't ask about this last one :-) ).

I concur about the transparent TDK-RXG disks. Something funny about them, caused them to misbehave in a way that no other MD ever seems to have done. The vast majority of TDK's disks are flawless (and wonderful, especially some of the cutesy patterns they came out with).

• Richard changed the title to Favorite discs?