Ebay resto part xxxxi MDS-JB930

Rate this topic

M1JWR

just bought one, got it today spares or repair, its ok folks, it did have a problem and i have fixed it.

it concerned the record pot, take the knob off and you could push the shaft all the way through, there is a small pcb contact set up on the other side that is held together with 4 metal clips, the clips were bent back so repair is needed, its very easy, wish they were all like that, simply put the two parts back together and push the 4 clips back into their places with a small serewdriver, re attach with the two screws and thats that, luckily its the only part that is seperate from the main board behind the front panel so nothing broken, it now does everything it should do, so a good buy, there is no info on rec and play time on this one so i guess the internal battery is shot, as a lot of them will be after 20 years, next thing is i still have that 520 with the knackered owh, so ive bought another very cheap that looks like its been dragged through a hedge, fingers crossed, seller says it works !!!!!!!

8 hours ago, M1JWR said:

there is no info on rec and play time on this one so i guess the internal battery is shot

Record/Play hours information (just as other settings in the Service Menu) are stored in a non volatile memory, thus not impacted by a dead internal battery cell.

Imagine, if they were, all delicate laser settings etc. would "evaporate" on a power outage if the battery was dead. This would be a very bad design then.

Congratulations on the good buy and the successful repair. Another great 930 saved.

i wonder what is bt701 lithium battery on what is called the bat board used for, i looked on the downloaded service manual,

if you see internal pics, its to the front right of the drive unit, looks like a large watch battery with a purple surround on it

7 minutes ago, M1JWR said:

i wonder what is bt701 lithium battery on what is called the bat board used for, i looked on the downloaded service manual,

if you see internal pics, its to the front right of the drive unit, looks like a large watch battery with a purple surround on it

Exactly. That is the internal battery, with the purpose of being the backup power for the memory that holds the user settings (i.e., in the Setup menu) and the TOC data to be written to the disc.

so are we saying that if the player isent used for a long time and the battery is shot all settings will revert to default

might have been 10 years or more since this player was last used in anger, just guessing, i dont know its past.

5 minutes ago, M1JWR said:

so are we saying that if the player isent used for a long time and the battery is shot all settings will revert to default

Yes. But when you say "all settings", it means "all settings made in the Setup menu". Nothing else.

ok so somebody must've had the knowhow to reset total rec and play times , i will have it on soak test for awhile and build up a few hours and see what happens in time. i did record two albums with it today so thats a start, i even edited it on one or two tracks where it missed the gaps, all good.

Just now, M1JWR said:

ok so somebody must've had the knowhow to reset total rec and play times

You can easily do it as well, should you want to.

It is in the same submenu (aka ERROR DP MODE) in Service mode, just a few ticks away with the AMS button. And it is described in the Service Manual too (page 3).

12 minutes ago, M1JWR said:

i got a spares or repair 940 a while back, it was the same

The 940 is a different story.

The x40 family (440/640/940), as well as the S50, the PC3 (and potentially other models too, with the same MDM-7 flavour and having the same EEPROM code) have a "glitch" in their firmware, that causes these counters seem never moving away from 1 hour. We have touched this once before (here).

interesting will have a read on that, will get back to everybody in due course, i think the 520 repair will come under another thread, part 42 !!!! seller is posting the "s&r 520 thing" on monday. if its got good parts for what i want, by looking at it i will probably scrap the rest.

• Richard changed the title to Ebay resto part xxxxi MDS-JB930