Hitachi RMD100

Rate this topic

I've just recently bough a used Hitachi RMD100 minidisk and cd deck. After a peek inside I can confirm that this unit is very well put together and uses quality components. However, there is no information to be had about this excellent product. It doesn't appear on minidisc.org and I can't find a user or service manual with a Google search. Does anyone have any info? Is the equipmebt database still being updated?

2 hours ago, m1keC said:

I believe there is also a Goodmans model that is basically the same.

Yes, there were several similar models with different labels. They are pretty much the same inside (not sure about the Hitachi though, never seen one).  I had my hands on the Orion MD-201 and the Universum MD-190. To me, the look and feel and the overall build quality was kinda "cheap". I bougth the Orion off ebay for €52 incl. shipping, 15 sealed Sony and 40 used Sony/TDK MD discs. Needless to say I bought the pack for the discs, and then donated the device itself to a friend.

I'm still quite happy with the Hitachi but I have found 2 problems :

1. The line out is at a rathger high level with no adjustment. I think I will have to get inside it and change some resistors.

2. It won't play audio cds - just says disc faulty. However, if I copy the audio cd on another cd player to a md then that minidisc will play fine on the Hitacht. Weird!

It's not that - I have already cleaned the lens and the cd works very well with all music discs. I just doesn't seem to be able to handle audio discs (mp3 files, I guess). But the minidisc will read and play them just fine. It must be a software problem in the decoding.

Ohhhhh you have a deck that DOESN'T play anything except audio CDs. That's over 80% of all the CD players in the world.

The mp3 play function is either in the specs or it isn't. On top of that there are a zillion different variations on MP3 and some of them simply won't play. The biggest problem is likely to be failure to play variable bitrate MP3s.

6 hours ago, m1keC said:

the cd works very well with all music discs. I just doesn't seem to be able to handle audio discs (mp3 files, I guess).

I might be wrong, but for me music discs and audio discs are the same thing - that is, the AUDIO CD format (CD-DA). On the other hand, discs that contain MP3 files are plain data discs, with DATA CD format (CD-ROM).

As Stephen said, whether or not a CD player can play an mp3 disc depends on the specs. First, the OP must be able to handle the different reflectivity of the writeable CD-ROM media (CD-R, CD-RW). Then the drive's firmware must understand the CD-ROM format. Lastly, the player's software must be able to decode the mp3 files. Any of these missing, such an mp3 disc won't play in that player.