MZ-R909 protected disc

Rate this topic

Górbiel

Hi, I recently purchased a used minidisc player and for some reason I can't record anything with it. Every time I use the Rec Slider I get a "PROTECTED" on the display. I'm new to md players, but for some reason I could erase the disc (after inserting the disc for the 3rd time), so the mechanism for checking if the disk is protected works at least partially. Is there anything I can do to fix that?

I saw the same case once, although it was an MXD-D3 combo deck, not a portable. The solution was cleaning the two sensor microswitches (i.e., the prerecorded media detector and the writeable media read-only tab detector switches) with some contact cleaning/lubricating spray, then the problem disappeared.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NGY said:

I saw the same case once, although it was an MXD-D3 combo deck, not a portable. The solution was cleaning the two sensor microswitches (i.e., the prerecorded media detector and the writeable media read-only tab detector switches) with some contact cleaning/lubricating spray, then the problem disappeared.

Thanks, I found a little life-hack, I used a bit of tape over the hole where the write protect tab is (I know it's temporary, but I need to check if the recording function works). I guess the switch wasn't pushed down enough. If I get my hands on a service manual I'll try cleaning everything. Without it I have no idea how to open that thing (and I really don't want to break anything)