Jump to content
  • 0

Connecting House Subwoofers

Rate this question



Hi :)

I bought a caravan with a Sony MEX-N4150BT in it, connected to some outdoor house speakers. Not the latest and greatest I know, but it's what I've got.

I have bought some Sony subwoofers - they are from a home entertainment system. I spliced them into the existing speaker wiring to see if it would work, and it does!

But it's not very 'bassy'. I noticed there are also 4 RCA plugs on the other side which, on reading the manual, seem to be for subs. Can I plug them in here? I've tried, but they don't work.

Not sure if there's s software setting I can't find, or if I need an amp to use the plugs on that side (the others come out of the other side).

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
5 hours ago, xale said:

... or if I need an amp ...

Yes, you do. Sub outs on head units normally meant for either active subwoofers or subs hooked on a power amplifier. 

You can also see it in the manual (see as well the other RCA audio outs for additional, externally amplified front/rear speakers):


Sub amps require a lot of power, way more than the regular speakers, and normally there is not enough space in a 1 din head unit  for such an amp. Even if it was feasible, as only a fraction of the buyers install subwoofers, it would be an excess feature, with no value to the vast majority of users.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • 0
5 hours ago, xale said:

Something like this do the trick? 

This looks like a neat "all-in-one” amp. Good for those who want "bigger sound" than their head unit can provide. I cannot judge though how good its subwoofer circuit is.

If your main speakers are loud enough with the Sony, and the only thing missing is the good bass, I would rather go for a dedicated sub amp, something like this (or eventually, better).

Beware though, that a few 100 Watts on a 12V car circuit means a few dozens of Amperes (!), therefore it would also call for dedicated, thick enough wiring directly from the car's battery (and/or, actually another, dedicated battery, also with some beefy buffer caps, next to the amp).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...