Forum on a Smartphone

kgallen

How do people get on with the Forum on a smartphone?

I have an iPhone SE (2020) with iOS 14.4.2 (latest as of last night), but saw similar behaviour with iPhone 7 on various iOS probably from iOS 12. Although I don't think the iOS version is directly relevant.

I've tried Chrome, Safari and Firefox browsers.

What I see is that various sections of the main Forum threads pane gets overwritten by what seem to be the side banners - Popular Contributors, Top Downloads. I see the Topics pane which has the currently active last 5 threads, but then the main Forum pane is blapsed over by these side panes and is thus inaccessible.

With @Richard's studious work recently to recover all of the images on old posts the top-5 topics are generally old posts he's working on. With this issue reading the Forum on the phone, the main Minidisc->Technical forum I access becomes inaccessible (ok I can get around this by finding a URL elsewhere and jumping to that).

Does anyone else see this and do they know how to drive the page properly to avoid this, as it seems I'm incapable!

Thanks!

I had the same problem - exactly - there seems to be some kind of overlay sometimes that blocks half of the screen.. I'm not sure why this is - maybe there is a special skin or something we need to deploy for the mobile.. I have never been too good at figuring that part of the board out.. Sorry also for spamming everyone with the pictorial updates. 

Just now, BearBoy said:

Don't be sorry! It's good to see the threads being restored.

Thanks, it's something I have wanted to do for years. I know how much time and effort was put in to create them and to be honest I thought they had been lost for ever.. I am relying on the Wayback Machine for now as I have no idea if the original files still exist on the server somewhere and even if they do I don't have access. 

Once I have recovered everything I can, I'll add some new ones of my own (both disc pictorials and MD units).. 

Once I have done that I would like to figure out how to get the emoji's working again - it's a small thing I know, but I miss that too... :-)

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Sorry also for spamming everyone with the pictorial updates. 

Absolutely not! Your diligence is impressive and greatly appreciated - nothing worse than reading a thread and all the links/images broken. I didn't intend to knock this work in the slightest, more as a means to illustrate the issue I've seen. This usage issue I see both with this new "shiny" forum installed Mar/Apr 21 and with the previous version.

Also Emoji's would be good! (Stephen is now groaning...!)

Carry on McDuff, sterling work!

Kevin, try this - it might help a bit?

On the top of the home screen, click on the third icon to the left (the one next to the + sign and magnifying glass):

1115144870_SIF01-Copy.thumb.jpg.820c800efeea640dc0bee8e0b533bc0c.jpg

It should bring up a list of unread posts? 

1960444769_SIF02-Copy.thumb.jpg.9cfa486ea2e3d1f4681a409226c44c8e.jpg

If you choose "show filters" you can amend that to show the content you want. If you want to access a particular sub-forum then just find a post that's in that forum and click on the forum name in the filtered list (you don't have to actually open the post/thread). You'll then be in the sub-forum without the overlays you mentioned.

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Once I have done that I would like to figure out how to get the emoji's working again - it's a small thing I know, but I miss that too... :-)

Ha. Do you know what? I was actually thinking of posting about that this morning and checking if it was just me they didn't work for :-)

Like you say, it is a small thing but it would be good if they did work properly.

Weirdly, one of them does still seem to work :mellow:

12 minutes ago, kgallen said:

Absolutely not! Your diligence is impressive and greatly appreciated - nothing worse than reading a thread and all the links/images broken. I didn't intend to knock this work in the slightest, more as a means to illustrate the issue I've seen. This usage issue I see both with this new "shiny" forum installed Mar/Apr 21 and with the previous version.

Also Emoji's would be good! (Stephen is now groaning...!)

Carry on McDuff, sterling work!

Thanks - it wasn't taken as a knock at all :-) (if only the emoji's were working I could have added a smiley to my original post!).. I was puzzled by the mobile thing too and have to confess I'm a bit behind the times.. I did manage to use the "Request Desktop Site" option in Chrome on my android phone, but that resulted in a lot of zooming in and out.. I'll give BearBoy's tip a try too as a workaround - sounds good

4 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

Kevin, try this - it might help a bit?

If you choose "show filters" you can amend that to show the content you want. If you want to access a particular sub-forum then just find a post that's in that forum and click on the forum name in the filtered list (you don't have to actually open the post/thread). You'll then be in the sub-forum without the overlays you mentioned.

Thanks! I will persevere with this Unread option a little more. At this point I don't have any "unread" in MD->Tech so I will need to try this when there is some new content.

Good shout though, thanks!

6 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

Ha. Do you know what? I was actually thinking of posting about that this morning and checking if it was just me they didn't work for :-)

Like you say, it is a small thing but it would be good if they did work properly.

Weirdly, one of them does still seem to work :mellow:

I think again something got lost along the way over the years during the various upgrades. There is an option in the back end admin panel to install the new "standard emoji's" but to do that it asks me to upgrade the database to unicode or something. I am wary of doing that as I don't have the ability to make a backup first and don't want to crash the whole site.. That would result in a lot of angry face emoji's.. Maybe @Christopher has some ideas.. 

12 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

Press the "show filter" button and then amend "Read Status" from "unread" to "everything". You should then see the posts from the Technical sub-forum that you've already read.

Yea... @Richard is suggesting he's bad with Forum software but he's got nothing on my incompetence with software in general (or more specifically Operating Systems and "Apps" as we seem to call everything these days). Computers are a work tool for me but 'cos I use them all day long people (inc family) think I'm "in IT" and can fix any computer malady they can throw at me! < string of emoticon's required here! >

(In a Tarzan guise) "Me Hardware, You Software" :-D

• 1 month later...

Anyone got any tricksy idea how to read personal messages on the phone version of the site? When I’ve a new message I can get straight there. If I want to revisit messages I can’t find a button anywhere. I must be blind. I can’t even see a mechanism via my profile page. 

• 2 months later...