Blank MiniDisc Databases

Rate this topic

BearBoy

I found a couple of sites that document, with pictures, a large number of the different types of blank MiniDisc that were available. Neither are exhaustive, not surprising given the huge variety of blanks that were produced, but I have found them very useful in identifying down what a sealed copy of one of my old discs looks like (so I could buy some more on eBay) or what the actual discs themselves look like if you've only seen sealed copies for sale.

First up is: https://juri.su/minidisc.htm

The site is in Russian but Chrome translates it into English well enough.

The other is: https://minidiscdb.co.uk/

Hopefully someone else will also find them useful 💽

Thanks - definitely very useful sites. Of course you can also check out our own Discs Pictorials section. Many of the image links are broken, but I have been able to restore a few, will try my best to work on the others (if possible to recover them) and I will also be adding more pictorials from my own extensive collection of blanks as well in the coming weeks. 😉

Incidentally if you have any questions regarding blanks or need help identifying anything, manufacturers, release dates etc.. just ask away! 🙂 

PS: If you use Facebook, I would 100% recommend the Facebook group "Students of The Little Disc", run by Jeremy. Incredibly useful and a great community of MD blank collectors.  

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

Thanks - definitely very useful sites. Of course you can also check out our own Discs Pictorials section. Many of the image links are broken, but I have been able to restore a few, will try my best to work on the others (if possible to recover them) and I will also be adding more pictorials from my own extensive collection of blanks as well in the coming weeks. 😉

Doh, of course 🤦‍♂️ Sadly, like you say, many of the picture links are not currently working.

Thanks for all your efforts to restore the pictures (and the ones of MiniDisc players in the Product Reviews/Pictorials sub-forum).

3 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

Doh, of course 🤦‍♂️ Sadly, like you say, many of the picture links are not currently working.

Thanks for all your efforts to restore the pictures (and the ones of MiniDisc players in the Product Reviews/Pictorials sub-forum).

I'll try and update some of the info in the posts as well regarding release dates for discs and other information. If I can't recreate the original threads for now, I'll make new versions of the ones I can, as I have quite a lot of the same sets that Ishii already posted and a few he didn't get a chance to do. I was also thinking to maybe update some of my own MD unit pictorials as well

12 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

Would be great to see more pictures of your collection, Richard.

I'll take a look at the unit forum and see if I've got anything that can fill any of the gaps.

Sounds good! Even if it's something that has already been posted by someone else, don't worry - the more the merrier! 

• 2 weeks later...

@BearBoy - forgot to mention there is also Sergio's (@sescoscuba) excellent site:

https://sites.google.com/view/crazyforminidisc/home-page/all-my-blanks

Some of the dates are slightly incorrect, and his rarity ratings would maybe be different now, given how things evolve, but it's an excellent resource, I recommend. 

43 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

That’s a great site @Richard, thanks for sharing. 

Already spotted a few discs I wouldn’t mind picking up 😀

Let me know if there is something particular you are looking for, depending on what it is, I may have some spares or can look out for them for you

17 hours ago, Richard said:

Let me know if there is something particular you are looking for, depending on what it is, I may have some spares or can look out for them for you

Hi Richard, 

Any chance you have some of the rarer Bit Clubs? Stuff like the Tartan, Book Club, maybe a Map or House Plan?

7 minutes ago, slugbahr said:

Hi Richard, 

Any chance you have some of the rarer Bit Clubs? Stuff like the Tartan, Book Club, maybe a Map or House Plan?

No, unfortunately not.. 😔 Apart from the Tartan, I think those ones you mentioned are all pretty much holy grail discs for most collectors. By Book Club, you mean the one with the picture of the lamp and the book on it?

45 minutes ago, slugbahr said:

That is unfortunate 😢

and yeah, that's the one. I like calling it the book club one cos it's a book, in the bit club series 😉

I actually used to have one, but traded it to a far better collector than I. 

Yes, that disc is probably my favorite out of all the Bit Clubs. If I remember correctly the text on it says 「今日は、ここまで」 "That's it for today.." 

23 hours ago, Richard said:

Yes, of all the ones I have seen over the years, including the other 3 from that pack (skater, runner, floor plan), the street scenes, and all the rest 🙂

"That pack" 🤤🤤🤤

By street scenes, do you mean traffic lights?

Were you a lucky enough (and now regretful) bastard to see things during their retail existence???

19 minutes ago, slugbahr said:

"That pack" 🤤🤤🤤

By street scenes, do you mean traffic lights?

Were you a lucky enough (and now regretful) b**** to see things during their retail existence???

The street scenes pack - yes the one with the 4 different colours of traffic lights. I only have a 3 pack of the blue ones. I was certainly lucky to get plenty of discs when they were available new, but plenty more slipped through the net for sure. That said, I can't say I have too many regrets, I was lucky I guess (in the right time and place) to be able to acquire many MD items over the years. Certainly enough to keep me busy & happy for many years to come