Sony MDS-E12/MDS-E10 transplant/repair (project)

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, kgallen said:

Were you using monitor mode? I'm kinda surprised that the Copy Bit setting doesn't affect that, although I guess in reality I'm not that surprised as I guess they wouldn't want to make SCMS defeat too easy. I suspect even having this function on these decks was somewhat a compromise from the RIAA...

I suspect actual recording will be the same behaviour as monitor mode. But I'm just as likely wrong...!

Monitor mode, yes. My guess is that as this is a kind of pass-through, the signal remains unchanged. Perhaps a schematic would depict the path. As to during actual recording—that is, output via opt/coax while a disc is inserted, not monitoring without one—not sure I tried that. I will note that my HHB BurnIT CDR exhibits that same behavior with monitoring.

6 hours ago, bluecrab said:

Monitor mode, yes. My guess is that as this is a kind of pass-through, the signal remains unchanged. Perhaps a schematic would depict the path. As to during actual recording—that is, output via opt/coax while a disc is inserted, not monitoring without one—not sure I tried that.

I think the signal path for both is the same - through the ADC, into the DSP, loop back out of the DSP, through the DAC. Delete ADC and/or DAC if using digital I/O.

So this includes going through (at least part of) the DSP. Whether or not this includes the Copy Bit reassignment logic is the question. Results from your experiment suggest not.

Service Manuals tend to not include a detailed block diagram of the DSP chip - which we must remember since CXD2654 (ATRAC 4.5) - includes pretty much all of the digital audio chain in one chip - sample rate converter, shock memory, ATRAC enc/dec, ACIRC error correction enc/dec, EFM enc/dec, plus servo control. These functions were largely in separate ICs if we go back to the first machines, even one chip per stereo channel in the case of ATRAC.

Minidisc is not like a 3-head cassette deck. When recording, what you’re hearing/monitoring is not being read back from the disc. Indeed the disc writing will somewhat lag the real time audio due to the encode/decode process latency and the buffer/shock memory.