SunnyTechs MD | Clear Sound (80 minute variant)

Richard

SunnyTechs MD | Clear Sound (80 minute variant)

This budget range of discs was made in Taiwan by Ritek, but sold in Japan. The 80 minute variant comes in 3 colours (purple, pink and green), only available as single discs. The 74 minute version came in 5 colours (3 available as single discs) with 2 of these colours only available in the 5 or 10 pack slim case sets. 

DSC01818a.JPG

DSC01819a.JPG DSC01820a.JPG

DSC01821a.JPG DSC01822a.JPG

DSC01823a.JPG DSC01824a.JPG

DSC01827a.JPG DSC01828a.JPG

DSC01825a.JPG

16 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

Is there a noticeable difference in build quality between these sort of “budget” discs and the standard fare from Sony, TDK etc?

Not that I've ever noticed no, the discs and the cases are good. The labels and overall design can be a bit plain design-wise, but I never had any issues at all. Most of them are made either by Saehan of Korea who also made discs for Victor / JVC, Axia / Fuji and others or by Ritek in Taiwan. I would say of those two manufacturers, Saehan are probably slightly better overall in terms of quality of the shells of the discs and cases, but I've never had a single issue with any of these kind of discs. 

The TDK's, Axia's, Maxell's etc.. just have more interesting designs for me and much more attention to detail on the labels, cases and index cards (especially Axia), but I quite like the "nostalgic" feel of some of these discs. 

PS: I'll do some more mainstream discs shortly, I am just waiting to see if any more of Ishii's original pictorials can be recovered before duplicating those. In the meantime, I was going through my collection and doing the discs that have never been posted before here (even if some of them are not very glamourous). 

12 minutes ago, kgallen said:

Those budget ones look like they have metal shutters. The Sharp one that arrived inside my recent E12 has a plastic shutter. I’m not keen on those at all (reliability wise - looks like a disc jam waiting to happen…).

Yep, the majority all have metal shutters. The main proponent of the plastic shutter was Maxell, who used it because they claimed it vibrated less. The TopValu MD's also made by Maxell have it, and those Sharp ones on sale in Europe were also made by Maxell. I haven't had any issues with them to date personally, but I know many people don't like them. Interestingly Maxell reverted to using metal shutters for their last 3 series of discs in 2006, but I think that was because they had outsourced the production to Taiyo Yuden and were not making them in-house anymore.

14 hours ago, Richard said:

Not that I've ever noticed no, the discs and the cases are good. The labels and overall design can be a bit plain design-wise, but I never had any issues at all. Most of them are made either by Saehan of Korea who also made discs for Victor / JVC, Axia / Fuji and others or by Ritek in Taiwan. I would say of those two manufacturers, Saehan are probably slightly better overall in terms of quality of the shells of the discs and cases, but I've never had a single issue with any of these kind of discs. 

The TDK's, Axia's, Maxell's etc.. just have more interesting designs for me and much more attention to detail on the labels, cases and index cards (especially Axia), but I quite like the "nostalgic" feel of some of these discs. 

Thanks Richard. Was just asking as I'd never seen any of these discs/brands and I don't remember any of them making their way into UK shops.

13 hours ago, kgallen said:

Those budget ones look like they have metal shutters. The Sharp one that arrived inside my recent E12 has a plastic shutter. I’m not keen on those at all (reliability wise - looks like a disc jam waiting to happen…).

I was always a bit suspicious of the plastic shutters on Maxell and Sharp discs so I tended to avoid buying them. Having said that, I don't recall ever actually having an issue with any of the ones I did have.

Funnily enough I bought a pack of Maxell discs recently. I haven't opened them yet so not sure if they have metal or plastic shutters but I suspect they might be plastic. I think I'd seen you post some of them Kevin (they're colour ones with butterfly patterns on them)?

51 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

Thanks Richard. Was just asking as I'd never seen any of these discs/brands and I don't remember any of them making their way into UK shops.

Oh, no problem. it's a good question. I haven't had any issues with them. Like I say, they can be a bit bare bones sometimes, but I definitely use them. All of these models were indeed Japan only. 

41 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

I was always a bit suspicious of the plastic shutters on Maxell and Sharp discs so I tended to avoid buying them. Having said that, I don't recall ever actually having an issue with any of the ones I did have.

Funnily enough I bought a pack of Maxell discs recently. I haven't opened them yet so not sure if they have metal or plastic shutters but I suspect they might be plastic. I think I'd seen you post some of them Kevin (they're colour ones with butterfly patterns on them)?

Sounds like the Twinkle's (or just Color Collection I think they were called outside of Japan). Is it like this one - if so, yes it's a plastic shutter. 🙂

1630924774637.jpg

9 hours ago, BearBoy said:

That looks like the one, Richard 🙂

They're called "Colour MD 80" but, name aside, they look just like the "Twinkle" one you posted.

Eeeek! I'm pretty sure my Maxell Color are metal shutters, but you have me worried now! My open/recorded ones are all at the office, so I'll have to check tomorrow.

1 hour ago, kgallen said:

Just found this photo on my phone. Darn it, you’re right - plastic shutter! (No idea why this photo is rotated, it was the correct way up on my phone!).

Wanders off to cry into his pillow...

I have a few of these same discs recorded on and have not had any issues with them to date, same with other Maxell discs. You will be fine I'm sure 😉

7 hours ago, Richard said:

I have a few of these same discs recorded on and have not had any issues with them to date, same with other Maxell discs. You will be fine I'm sure 😉

Thanks Rich, I am comforted. They are pretty discs. Since mine are NOS they haven’t been abused, so I’ll look after them. 🙂