Am I getting there?

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, BearBoy said:

You finally got your 940! 🙂

How are you finding it @kgallen?

We’ll I’ve used all the I/O linking that lot together (and with the PC with TOSLINK)!

FILTER-STD seems just fine to me. I don’t have a front-room hifi setup, maybe it makes more sense there than with headphones. 

It seems to have a real time clock (which I set). I thought the TIME button might make that show when the deck was idle but it doesn’t seem to. I’ll need to read the manual!

Otherwise nice - considerable weight difference compared to say the 770 which is light as a feather by comparison. The 940 has a beefier transformer and metal front panel of course. 

19 hours ago, M1JWR said:

watch that space, he might be going for the full set, 920 and 930 next

I did have thoughts of going down that route at one point (and an MDS-JB730 too, for the sake of completeness) but talked myself out of it. I decided I wouldn't really use the non-MDLP machines that much so it would really just be collecting for collecting's sake.

I still get twinges though if I see a nice looking MDS-JB930 on eBay for a reasonable price... 😲

Edited by BearBoy
Corrected typo

2 hours ago, kgallen said:

We’ll I’ve used all the I/O linking that lot together (and with the PC with TOSLINK)!

Ooh. Would be interested in hearing about that if you get a chance to post some notes.

I've got half an eye open for an old Sony CD player with Control A(II) to link up with my 940 but not really sure it's worth it.

1 hour ago, BearBoy said:

I still get twinges though if I see a nice looking MDS-JB930 on eBay for a reasonable price... 😲

Yea tell me about it! But I’m the same as you, I record so much in LP2 for non critical listening that getting a 930 would just be gluttony. Hence the 940.

1 hour ago, BearBoy said:

Ooh. Would be interested in hearing about that if you get a chance to post some notes.

I haven’t done anything clever it’s just all hooked up with toslink or coax and control A1ii where I can. I did make notes so will share but it’s not very exciting (we’ll not for ‘normal’ people 🤣).

47 minutes ago, kgallen said:

I see you mention XE730 above. 

I was talking about the only non "9" series QS MiniDisc deck: Sony MDS-JB730

I think it's basically a cut down MDS-JB930 but that's really just an assumption based on the aesthetics and naming convention.

Good idea re a CD player thread. I'll start one so as not to drag this one (any further) off topic 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

Is that the one you posted about over on Tapeheads, @fourbanks? It does seem to have a fairly weird ratio of recording to playback time.

that's the one. as you say most odd but with all the hassle I've had with the 940 that i mucked up I'm happy that it's working well. for how long thou you can never tell. i still have my original 920 that works well and always has done plus my Kenwood. now that's a very big recorder and wont go in my cabinet so doesn't get used much. the manufacturer didn't state the measurements of the unit correctly and is 2 inches oversized to the normal hi fi spec. I've never looked inside so cant tell if it's belt or gear driven?

https://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=11235

9418-kenwood_dmf-9020.jpg

19 hours ago, BearBoy said:

How are you getting on with the 940 now you've had it for a couple of weeks @kgallen?

I've not done a huge amount with it to be honest. Been too busy at work, fixing that D4 and building the set for the next show!

As you know I have lots of machines with similar capabilities, but I wanted a higher spec machine for the main 'hifi' stack.

6 hours ago, fourbanks said:

... plus my Kenwood. now that's a very big recorder and wont go in my cabinet so doesn't get used much. the manufacturer didn't state the measurements of the unit correctly and is 2 inches oversized to the normal hi fi spec. I've never looked inside so cant tell if it's belt or gear driven?

Nice looking machine. In which dimension is it 2 inches bigger than normal hi-fi?

• Like 1

Just now, BearBoy said:

Nice set up @fourbanks 🙂

thanks. that little jongo a2 in the middle on top of the cd recorder is both Bluetooth and wifi. the bluetooth is so so as the codac is 7 years old but the Wi-Fi is excellent so recording from the tv bbc sounds app via the jongo's digital output is just the same as recording from the tuner