Okay, so the 770 has a different mechanism:

• CD Mechanism Type: CDM66B-DVBU6
  • Base Unit Name: DVBU-6
  • Optical Pick-up Name: KHM-230AAA

780/790 have:

• CD Mechanism Type: CDM66B-DVBU6B
  • Base Unit Name: DVBU-6B
  • Optical Pick-up Name: KHM-234AMA

I guess that means a straight swap is probably out of the question?

Haha 😆

Yeah, I was just applying MD logic to SACD players. Might be absolutely fine for all I'd know.

I've done a few more tests and turning the player off for about 10 minutes seems to be sufficient, for now at least, to get it working properly again. I can probably live with that for the time being but it's a tad annoying as I was about to pull the trigger on a Control A1(II) compatible CDP-XB player but am now thinking I should be looking for another SCD-XB instead 🤔

I know that SACD players initially try to find the SACD layer on any disc you insert and then, if they cannot find one, look for a standard CD layer. This is why they usually take longer to read discs than normal CD players. I don't know where they go looking for the SACD layer though in terms of inner part of the disc/outer part of the disc etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Checked the manuals for the Control A1II functionality and, to my dismay, realised I needed a mono 3.5mm cable to connect the CD player to the MiniDisc deck. I had a stereo (TRS) cable to hand so thought I'd give it a go before ordering a mono (TS) one and happily it worked! 🙂

CD Text track titles copied over successfully to the MiniDisc. I was also pleasantly surprised that the ALL CAPS titles on the CD display came over the correct mix of capitals/lower case letters on the MiniDisc.

Just need to have a re-organisation of the office set up now to plumb everything in (and hopefully remove some of the surplus black boxes).

Yea with ‘recent’ kit you should be fine with a TRS or TS cable. I read in the A1 doc that for ‘very old’ kit implementing Control A (not A1 or A1II) that you needed TS (‘mono’) one end and TRS (‘stereo’) the other if v FFC objecting Control A to Control A1.

Glad you got it working 😃

https://www.minidisc.wiki/_media/resources/sony_s-link_control_a1_control_system.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 11:38 AM, kgallen said:

Tascam MD-350 with Tascam CD-450.

57847FDD-D62C-4303-8D6C-CC1752CEF109.jpeg

The annoying thing here is you can’t connect these directly digitally as the CD only has coax output and the MD only has TOSLINK optical I/O 🤦‍♂️

Hi guys, "long time no see you" as they say in Vietnam.

You can use a Coax to Toslink convertor...

51YYvhmLh6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

"...what CD players people have paired up with their MiniDisc decks."

Just a few days ago, I used my MDS-E10 to edit a minidisc (needed some dividing for track marks), and then copied the MD to CD-RW via coax to my working-when-it-feels-like-it Aiwa XC-RW700 standalone recorder. Ultimate destination was iTunes, per spousal request. I'd created the original MD from cassettes and vinyl—contra dance and barn dance tunes from US & UK. The E10 is also connected to a Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100, which brings out its finest qualities.

6 hours ago, bluecrab said:

I used my MDS-E10 to edit a minidisc (needed some dividing for track marks), and then copied the MD to CD-RW via coax to my working-when-it-feels-like-it Aiwa XC-RW700 standalone recorder.

The reverse of how I suspect most MiniDisc decks/CD players were generally connected 😉

I don't have much experience with standalone CD recorders but I've always assumed it was far easier to perform edits etc on a MiniDisc?

17 hours ago, BearBoy said:

The reverse of how I suspect most MiniDisc decks/CD players were generally connected 😉

I don't have much experience with standalone CD recorders but I've always assumed it was far easier to perform edits etc on a MiniDisc?

I have used them both ways, CD > MD & MD > CD, the latter to enable ripping the result into iTunes. This was a project that took about two years. I even have a folder in iTunes devoted to that effort: "MD/CD Heaven." The editing abilities of minidisc completely surpass those of CD, where there isn't much you can do post-recording.

• Like 1