MDS-JE440, divide rehearsal

Rate this topic

Hi folks, I have one of these that I picked up cheap. It needed a belt and the timing sorted out. The problem I have (if it is a problem) is that when I move the tracks forward with the rotary knob and press it I get this (error?) message, divide rehearsal. The discs I am using weren’t recorded on this machine if that makes any difference. I also get numbers and letters in the display, like hexadecimal characters. The only way out of this is to stop the disc and press play again. If I let it play it will play the whole disc. Any suggestions? Sorry for the long post. Norman 

Hi Norman,

Can you elaborate/clarify the messages?

Pressing the AMS knob is ‘yes’. It sounds to me like the deck is going into the Edit menu, where the active option is the Track Divide function, hence the ‘Divide Rehearsal’ message.

The last time this sort of thing was reported, the user had a keyboard plugged in and one of the keys was stuck down. Can’t be the case with a 440 but make sure there is no Sony remote around that has buttons pressed (I’ve fallen foul of this one!).

The hex digits is interesting. The only thing that comes to mind is the Error Retry Cause display (see photo). This comes about after holding STOP for 10 seconds or more. 

(These are photos from my 520, but similar on the 440).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Folks, thanks for the rep[lies, I will try to get some pictures over the weekend. I suspect it's a feature or the machine. I did say I don't know anything about them. Another thing I have difficulty in accessing the site, something about a security certificate. My ipad won't have anything to do with the site and won't let me access at all. Can you suggest anything please. Norman

Yeah, I'm having similar issues with the site. Using my iPhone I cannot access it with either Safari or Chrome unless I turn on "private browsing" in Safari. On my PC, it works fine via Edge, albeit with the expired certificate warning, but is hit and miss (mainly miss) with Chrome, unless I turn use "Incognito" mode.

51 minutes ago, BearBoy said:

Using my iPhone I cannot access it with either Safari or Chrome unless I turn on "private browsing" in Safari. On my PC, it works fine via Edge.

Weird as on my iPhone, Chrome has worked pretty consistently (like now). On PC I need to use Firefox as Chrome doesn’t work there.

3 minutes ago, Norman Raeburn said:

I can't get this original "fault" to show. I think it's probably something I am doing wrong. I will report back if it reoccurs. Many thanks, Norman

Just bear in mind that if the machine has been sitting around unused for some years, it might need a bit of use and button pressing and twiddling to free up the mech and clear oxidation from the contacts. Hope it starts to behave for you.