SonicStage (?) for 64-bit Windows 11 (?) to download digital audio directly from Sony MZ-RH1 to PC..?

Rate this question

ChrisPasta

Question

It's been a while since I looked into this.  I'm curious if anyone has recent successful experience of downloading audio digitally as audio files from MD in my Sony MZ-RH1 to my Windows 11 laptop.  If there is other software that is better than SonicStage that works with Windows 11, then I am also very interested.

9 answers to this question

Hi @ChrisPasta, welcome to the forum.

Are the files you wish to transfer Hi-MD files or "normal" MiniDisc recordings (i.e. SP / LP2 /LP4)? If the latter, then you can now use Web MiniDisc Pro to transfer files from a compatible NetMD portable to a computer: https://www.minidisc.wiki/guides/webminidisc

This doesn't currently work with Hi-MD formatted discs or with your MZ-RH1 though so may of no use whatsoever for you, sorry.

AFAIK, SonicStage is still the only way of getting files off an MZ-RH1. I have not used SonicStage myself but there are users here who do, and know the "tricks" to get it working on modern computers.

Edit: corrected some errors (see asivery's post below).

Thanks, BearBoy.  Many of my MD recordings were done on a different machine - on Sony MZ-R37 before Hi-MD ever existed.  My Sony MZ-RH1 came later and I thought it supported NetMD, but I'm not sure anymore.  I also have a Sony MDS-JB920 which seems pretty cool, but apparently it may not be a solution either.  This is frustrating, and I may have to just run the audio and re-record on a new digital audio recorder - and that takes time.

Hi Chris. Your MZ-RH1 does support NetMD but the exploit that the developers of Web MiniDisc Pro used to enable the transfer of tracks from a MiniDisc player to a computer currently only works with some devices (which doesn't include any HiMD devices like your MZ-RH1 at the moment).

Prior to the development of this exploit using Web MiniDisc Pro, the MZ-RH1/MZ-M200 was the only device that allowed you to transfer tracks from a MiniDisc player to a computer. All other NetMD/HiMD devices only allowed to the transfer the other way (i.e. from computer to MiniDisc).

You'll be able to transfer the tracks from your MZ-RH1 to your computer using SonicStage. Have you managed to successfully install SonicStage on your PC? If not, there are some (Windows 10 but I suspect it'll be similar?) instructions here: 

That's great news - amazing work 👍

I don't know who maintains the Web MiniDisc Pro instructions on the MiniDisc Wiki site but they don't currently mention anything about the download functionality working with the MZ-RH1 (unless I'm missing something 🤔). Just gives details of the exploit you discovered. Maybe it's obvious when you connect the correct device?

Thanks!

I'll investigate the wiki missing instructions for the RH1, but once you connect it to the app and start selecting tracks, you have a 'Download' button instead of the normal 'Record' one (so it looks as-if it had exploits enabled out of the box). The progress dialog box that comes up is also different to the exploit one.

• Like 1