SONY STR-DB940 AV Amplifier Low Sound Output To Minidisc Using Analog

Rate this question

N Gauge England -Synthematix-

Question

Ive noticed on my amp when recording FM radio to minidisc using the analog outs of the amp (Sony STR-DB940) going in to my Sony JB-930 Minidisc recorder the levels are very low, all the FM stations are peaking at -8dB on the meter of my recorder, this is with the recorder set to 0dB recording level, i have to set the recorder to +8dB to obtain a peak of 0dB

I have a roof mounted +5dB gain antenna and all the radio stations are very strong and theyre all peaking at -8dB

Any idea why this is happening? is the output of the amp the wrong type?

Cheers.

17 answers to this question

Does the tuner sound quiet through the speakers on the amp too at your usual volume knob setting, compared to your other sources (CD/tape/vinyl)?

It's fairly common for me to need to add some gain at the MD end and it's not uncommon to need +6dB or more, although usually I'm using coax or optical input.

Hang on.... -8dB is hardly very low volume. I just got through processing some recordings made by someone else where I had to amplify them by x16 = 24dB. Now THAT's low.

The MD should have a gain setting, usually up to +12dB although on the 930 it might even be +18dB.

Stephen

9 hours ago, BearBoy said:

The STR-DB940 has an optical digital output for connecting a MiniDisc deck. Do you get the same low volume if you use that rather than the analogue outputs?

What if you use the Tape analogue output rather than the MiniDisc one?

Thing is, the digital output doesnt work with FM radio

9 hours ago, BearBoy said:

The STR-DB940 has an optical digital output for connecting a MiniDisc deck. Do you get the same low volume if you use that rather than the analogue outputs?

What if you use the Tape analogue output rather than the MiniDisc one?

Never thought of using that, i will give it a try!

11 hours ago, kgallen said:

Does the tuner sound quiet through the speakers on the amp too at your usual volume knob setting, compared to your other sources (CD/tape/vinyl)?

It's fairly common for me to need to add some gain at the MD end and it's not uncommon to need +6dB or more, although usually I'm using coax or optical input.

It does a bit yea

11 hours ago, sfbp said:

Hang on.... -8dB is hardly very low volume. I just got through processing some recordings made by someone else where I had to amplify them by x16 = 24dB. Now THAT's low.

The MD should have a gain setting, usually up to +12dB although on the 930 it might even be +18dB.

Stephen

But it's 8dB lower than it should be

It seems to me that most radio stations broadcast hard clipped to 0dB apart from BBC stations that don't use compression only limiters (Better sound) but peaking at -8dB doesn't seem right to me, it's a very odd number, after all most commercial FM stations have vehicles in mind to drastically reduce dynamic range (easy listening) and to make sure you get their adverts rammed down your throat.

The digital output on my amp wont output to minidisc if you are using any analog source, it does say this in the manual too, so i cannot compare analog to digital levels, the remote controller for my amp has been sent off for repair so im not sure if there are any settings on it that raise the analog outs in any way.

So, turn the REC LEVEL knob up to +8.0dB and you're done?

There's a reason that (for example the BBC) stations never output 0dB. I think it has to do with headroom. Better to be a bit under than distort?

For a long time CDs were mastered well under the 0dB limit, and then along came unscrupulous music producers who got more money by everything being loud loud loud (and clipped).

I'm happy with lower levels, and given that my 930 MD has a nice gain knob I've never had a problem.

8 hours ago, N Gauge England -Synthematix- said:

But doesnt this mean that by cranking up the rec levels you are adding noise?

Yes but you’ve got to add gain somewhere. If you can’t do it at the source you’ll have to do it at the MD. The intrinsic noise and relatively limited fidelity of the FM transmitter will absolutely swamp any noise you’ll add at the MD with +8dB.

4 hours ago, sfbp said:

Yeah but it's inside the digital stage of one of the best AD/DA's on the planet.

^^^^ wot the boss says. 

Enjoy your radio broadcasts and your MD, you’re in good hands. 

Im getting back in to minidisc again after about 15 years, simply because i have made recordings of my own produced music and mixes on to CD-R discs in the past and about 1 in 20 of them have rotted, as well as the recorded side of the discs becoming pitted/peeled, a fair few of my shop bought CD's have corroded as well theyre not made like they were in the late 80's anymore, i just dont trust CD's after this has happened, i don't trust hard disks either, so i'm in a rush now to get my remaining CD's of my songs and mixes put on SP minidiscs, this format has proved to me that it's rock solid, even more solid than DAT and DCC, the words digital and tape dont belong together, a very bad idea.

You're right i have to admit, the audio converters in these pieces of equipment are absolutely beautiful sounding, a classic example of 44.1Khz done properly, iv'e dabbled in "high res" music in the past and have found it to be complete nonsense, in fact in a lot of cases they sound worse due to aliasing and distortion etc, ive never had any such problems with minidiscs ever, iv'e got discs here i recorded 23 years ago and they're still 100% perfect, this format needs to return, the type R and S machines are magic.

I'm now on the hunt and trying to find somewhere that i can buy empty minidisc cases, some sellers on ebay are charging ridiculous amounts of money for them, preferably the type that i can print J cards with. What i do is print them then laminate them with my A4 laminator, this gives them UV protection and stops them from fading.

EDIT: On a side note: I will also say i have NEVER in my 50 years of being alive heard ANY av amp sound as good in 2CH stereo mode as these Sony amps (STR-DB940) this thing destroys my technics amp for stereo sound that cost twice as much. And my Yamaha AV amp sounds absolutely horrible in stereo, i mean really bad, there is no bass there is no treble its all midbass in stereo mode, and the stereo seperation is just horrendous.

18 hours ago, kgallen said:

Yes but you’ve got to add gain somewhere. If you can’t do it at the source you’ll have to do it at the MD. The intrinsic noise and relatively limited fidelity of the FM transmitter will absolutely swamp any noise you’ll add at the MD with +8dB.

^^^^ wot the boss says. 

Enjoy your radio broadcasts and your MD, you’re in good hands. 

Mate, seriously i'm having more fun with my JB-930 than i've ever had with any other format, these things are so bloody awesome.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N Gauge England -Synthematix- said:

I'm now on the hunt and trying to find somewhere that i can buy empty minidisc cases, some sellers on ebay are charging ridiculous amounts of money for them, preferably the type that i can print J cards with. What i do is print them then laminate them with my A4 laminator, this gives them UV protection and stops them from fading.

Welcome back!

You might want to consider this thread if you’re needing lots of new (new) minidiscs (discs) 🙂

7 hours ago, N Gauge England -Synthematix- said:

Which sort of cases are you after?

You used to be able to buy the basic hinged jewel cases from Amazon but I've not seen them on there for a few years now:

Product image

If you're UK based Retro Style Media sell them: https://www.retrostylemedia.co.uk/product/clear-minidisc-case

Price per case varies depending on how many you buy. Note that the quoted price is ex VAT so you'll need to factor that in as well.

They also sell the larger cases that pre-recorded discs used to come in back in the 90s:

Product image

They come in a variety of colours but are a lot more expensive. You can find them here: https://www.retrostylemedia.co.uk/shop/minidisc-cases

That website also has templates to download for the inserts etc.

There's a bit more info (and a video) here: 

• Like 2