Wishlist for upcoming HDD/Video Walkman

Rate this question

bob123_

Question

27 answers to this question

- wide codec support (MP3, AAC, ATRAC3, WMA, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, GIF, AVI, MPEG1+2, MP4, DivX, XviD)

- awsome audio performance ( 6 bands-EQ, clear stereo, clear bass, HD digital amp.)

- BIG TFT LCD screen with VGA resolution, 16 million colours, good contrast ratio, no ghosting and made by SHARP.

- ICON based or XMB menu structure, with many personalisation options.

- good capacity variety: 20GB, 40GB and 80GB

- good accesories supllied: dock, decent headphones (like S700 series), cleaning thing, protections bag, etc.

- noise cancelling

- A2DP support

- sonicstage & drag 'n drop support for media files.

- under 350 €

but I guess this is a big dream that won't come true

greetz

Agree with all of these (especially the capacity - there cannot be any reason for not providing at least a 60GB option in this day and age).

The thing I would add is a utility within its PC software to repair files with damaged or corrupted DRM, and to clean up and remove any bugs or gremlins that creep into a SonicStage database.

What others have said, but also:

- New Software, built from the ground up. All the different functions of the player - music, video, photos etc - should be handled by one stable piece of software. It should also be the same software you use for a PSP. No hack jobs, minimum bugginess, efficiency and easy enough for my 68 year old father to figure out - seriously, how hard can it be for a multi-billion dollar company to do this?

- Support for podcasts in the software - why should I be left out b/c I have a Sony device?

- second the idea of a fast XMB interface, though I think Chris (I think that's Ishiyoshi's name) already suggested this might happen

- lossless support

- ability to transfer tracks to/from PS3

- wi-fi, and not a la Zune, but a port of the PSPs ability to browse the 'net, download and connect to other users - let me decide how my battery life does or doesn't get destroyed.

- still have tactile buttons, rather than everything on screen, so basic functions - forward, back, shuffle, can be pressed w/out having to take the device out of one's pocket, bag etc.

Sounds like enough!

-Nav

Edited by navsimpson

One thing I'd really like to see, which is nearly unrelated to the hardware is being able to transfer stuff to the device without having to import into some stupid library first.

I.e. Direct rip from + encode + transfer to the device without having to have a library on your computer; similar procedure for files already on your PC in various formats--just be able to transfer them to the device without importing. For some people importing is plain useless/stupid. Sure we have MP3FM but c'mon that is horrible (you can't make folders/groups on the device with that and it's really too primiative). Perhaps a new version of Simple Burner, or wait, here's an idea... WHY NOT JUST PUT THAT in the newer versions of SSCP or whatever they come out with next?

I know I could just ask for Drag&Drop/UMS type useage, but we all know that's never going to happen. But could we please at least let the user decide not to import files to the library?

Oh and another idea, allow SSCP (or whatever app we get) to be used with Now Playing/Tuneage features for use with MSN's Now Playing or for use with little "What I'm listening to" forum banners like the one below, in my sig...

- second the idea of a fast XMB interface, though I think Chris (I think that's Ishiyoshi's name) already suggested this might happen

-Nav

Indeed, Chris (Kurisu), our other fellow admin did suggest that Sony may incorporate XMB GUI for its upcoming HDD based unit. If the new HDD based Walkman is still one schedule, we should be able to reveal some info by end of this year.

By the way, I am the other admin. B)

Ishii

A nice feature, whilst not overly big on the want-it list, would be to maybe add the ability to be able to drag and drop complete ATRAC CD content rips... or at least read and send those to the deck without conversion.

The reason i suggest this is, there may be some people who are ATRAC CD Walkman users who are interested in the beastie.. and this kinda feature would save a whole lotta effort from this group of users.

Secondly, ATRAC CD content (provided you drop and drop the whole content of each disc as seen in it's ISO-9660/Joilet view via a CD/DVD drive - one CD per folder per ATRAC CD inclusion) would also have embedded indexing and associated track and album and group data already present - and it's no leap of faith to add a scan and catalog function to make an indexing/catalog handler in the HDD deck then add the cloned ATRAC CD content to it's onboard DB.

Ok, so the correct ATP handler would need to be added too, but given that the CD decks aint that mega-smart in technology terms, it's also no leap of faith to support ATP in the new deck.

Likewise, it would also be good for future DVD player releases (indoor or portable) to actually support ATRAC CD discs .. as these decks would be the spiritual sisters/brothers to the ATRAC CD series.

Oh yeah, to follow on the DVD deck theme, how about the inclusion of a audio player mode that looks like it weren't a last-minute after thought of zero priority or interest - god knows, i hate DVD Player audio deck modes purely on that account alone.

'Tom Kat'

- wide codec support (MP3, AAC, ATRAC3, WMA, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, GIF, AVI, MPEG1+2, MP4, DivX, XviD)

- awsome audio performance ( 6 bands-EQ, clear stereo, clear bass, HD digital amp.)

- BIG TFT LCD screen with VGA resolution, 16 million colours, good contrast ratio, no ghosting and made by SHARP.

- ICON based or XMB menu structure, with many personalisation options.

- good capacity variety: 20GB, 40GB and 80GB

- good accesories supllied: dock, decent headphones (like S700 series), cleaning thing, protections bag, etc.

- noise cancelling

- A2DP support

- sonicstage & drag 'n drop support for media files.

- under 350 €

but I guess this is a big dream that won't come true

greetz

plus, ATRAC Lossless and PCM. :D

Edited by Zizone

-Unicode (very very unlikely, see sig)

-Gapless with MP3 (unlikely, even after rockbox and Apple did it, nobody else is doing it)

-high capacity flash based (Sony USA doesn't even bring the 4GB S7xx to the US, so still up in the air)

-aluminum/metal enclosure

-Sony to lay off the execs at Sony USA, so the above features can be had.

I bet Apple will come out with a 20GB flash based iPod sooner than Sony would come out with a decent DAP.

I don't care about any of these.

ok size matters 30GB and a 60 (or 80) GB

but the 1 thing I care about is BATTERY LIFE

I so badly want a NW-HD5 because of this but you can't get them new anymore! :(

That would be my ideal mp3 player. too bad the later Sony HHD are hard to get hold of in Canada and don't have as good power life.

I would have got a iPod by now if it wasn't for there crappy battery life.

ok the new nanos have 24Hours, but I have a flash player already (iAudio U2) I'm not really intrested in getting another one.

The only audio players I would be intrested in are HDD.

Edited by DannyB37

I would have got a iPod by now if it wasn't for there crappy battery life.

Define crappy. As you just said, 2G nano is rated for 24hour battery life. 80GB 5.5G iPods have 20hour battery life for music. With my 5G 60GB iPod, I can leave it unused for 3 days, and when I turned it on, it still hold most of the charge. From what I can see, most Sony Network Walkmen don't have a deep sleep mode. Sure, during playback, the rated battery life may be good, but it would not be practical if the player keeps draining the battery when not in use.

Video playback, on the other hand, nothing beats the Cowon A2 (rated 8 hour per charge for video playback).

Define crappy. As you just said, 2G nano is rated for 24hour battery life. 80GB 5.5G iPods have 20hour battery life for music. With my 5G 60GB iPod, I can leave it unused for 3 days, and when I turned it on, it still hold most of the charge. From what I can see, most Sony Network Walkmen don't have a deep sleep mode. Sure, during playback, the rated battery life may be good, but it would not be practical if the player keeps draining the battery when not in use.

Video playback, on the other hand, nothing beats the Cowon A2 (rated 8 hour per charge for video playback).

ha, yeh. i know about those battery life's. :lol: but 60 or 80GB is kinda too big for what I need it for! :)

Plus now I know 40 hours is possible, I feel like they aren't trying to give better battery life.

Well, since this thread is back, I'll add my fantasy wish list. Many things I don't really need, but think may help in any attempt to fight the iPod (which I have and find far from wonderful).

- Drag & drop and software support. If the PSP has it, why can't a Walkman have it as well? There's really no justification for Sony to avoid drag & drop support. Make the player's firmware be such that it builds itself the database after file transfer. That way, Mac and Linux users would be able to have the player as well. To stimulate usage of the software, Sony could let some features be available only with transfers that use it. For instance, it could allow for gapless playback of any format (of course, supposing they've worked to have it) or synchronized lyrics.

- Completely new DRM scheme. OpenMG doesn't work well, period. It's too complicated, makes for lots of lost files, creates the ridiculous situation of blocking the use of Atrac files in Walkman cellphones. Sony should either create a new, less cumbersome DRM system or license one (and if it creates, it should license it to others as well, giving people the confidence that the music they buy will work in the future). Sony should also release some software that would simply eliminate DRM protection from older Atrac files. Let's be real, there are very few people with these files, there's no point in keeping punishing them, they won't create piracy problems. Free those files and gain some goodwill points.

- Wide coded support, as aleady mentioned.

- Widescreen with high resolution (the PSP's one is good enough for me, as long as it allowed output to a TV of higher resolutions, as the Archos players or the iPod do).

- A more intelligent, and fast, interface. XMB may look nice, but I don't know if it's very practical for long lists. I particularly think the A series has a very smart way of letting you browse both horizontally and vertically. It's actually many times faster for me to get to a certain artist or song in that interface than with the iPod's scroll wheel. Also, the iPod's interface is extremely dumbed-down, with lots of backtracking. We need something that lets you change faster from one category to another. The Zune has a very nice and intelligent interface, but it's patented, so something else has to be used. But I like how the A series let you jump from the song to artist, genre or album. It should be something in that line. It just should work fast, not drag as the A series did. For that, Sony has to put more RAM there, so the database can be cached.

- Wi-Fi. The Zune doesn't do it right, because of the stupid record companies, but there's a lot of potential there. What if Sony let you use a video Walkman to get content from its LocationFreeTV? What if you could at least stream music and video to other players? (Make the PSP interact with that, and the user base starts in the millions.) What if you could have a little mic there and capture a song you hear on the street, have it identified and be able to buy it directly to the player? What if you could transfer files from the PS3 to the player or vice-versa wirelessly?

- Compact size. When Sony launched the HD1, critics said it was just "slightly" smaller than the iPod. Now, the Zune is "much bigger" than the iPod. So there's always the press bias in favour of Apple, which means Sony should do what it always did better than others and miniaturize its new player to the point of putting others to shame, or at least matching the iPod.

damn..I'm so f*cking curious. I can't wait to see what they're gonna do this time.

mess things up, or make a killer!!

Sony has been messing ome things up in the past, allthough I think they make the best DAP's . But it could be so much better. They could easily rule the market.

I still think sony is the ONLY company that can make the perfect DAP. They have the designers, the technology, the engineers, the backup, the possibilities and the power to make the perfect DAP.

-they have Walkman label, wich is known every-where in the world!

-they have Bravia/realityMAXX display technology

-they have the best sound of all DAP's

-they have all sorts of media giants like columbia pictures and sony/BMG music etc.

and so on...

I just hope they are gonna get their sh*t together and make something that's worthy enough to carry the *sony walkman* label.

greetz