Zizone's NW-S706F/Black Review (edit: 2007/2/22)

Rate this topic

Zizone_

I have used NW-S706F for about 4 days and just leaving my few thoughts on it.

First, the sound quality is superb. I tested with the song I know most (Dir en grey's Kodou (鼓動)). When the noise cancelling function is set to off, the sound quality is good as current NW-A1000/3000.

NW-S706F shines when used in a noisy place such as subway. However, it is not desired to set noise cancelling function to maximum though; I placed noise cancelling level to right on the middle, and it seems to be very effective when compared to off.

There is a "hissing" sound when the music is not playing, but when the music kicks in, this shouldn't be a problem.

The color OLED is beautiful to look at. When viewed, the resolution is good enough to view album art. But because the screen is small, small detail is hard to look at.

There is a big improvement in this OLED besides its color capability. Previously, the OLED for NW-A1000/3000 was impossible to read under the sun light. NW-S706F's color OLED is bright enough to read under the sun light; however, the quality is, as expected, largely reduced.

The jacket search is a nice added fuction. There is little lag about 0.5 to 1 sec during scrolling down the album arts. But it is fast enough and so didn't bother me much.

I still need to use this more to see more pros and cons but as for now I believe SONY has done very nice job in its trade mark killer sound quality, design and battery life.

I will try to answer if you guys have questiong regarding NW-S706F. Thanks.

Edit:

2007年1月12日 (1/12/07)

I hope everyone is enjoying their NW-S70X series.

1) I found some lag in this device when ATRAC Advanced Lossless is used. The song itself plays just fine with incredible sound quality (lossless). The minor problem in playing this file format with my NW-S706F is that there is some lag in accessing menu and switching songs while the song is playing. Other than this problem, ATRAC Advanced Lossless plays flawlessly.

2) I noticed very small static sound when the classic songs are being played (anything not heavy I can hear this sound every 15 seconds or so). It may just be my particular NW-S706F but I just wanted to share. I would like to note that this isn't a big deal, and it can't be heard unless I am listening in a very very quite place with my concentration to hear this static sound. But still this static sound during classic songs... It can get annoying...

Wishlist:

1) During the jacket search, I wish I have an option to not play the songs in that particular jacket so the searching can be done without minor lag.

2) As for the Japanese model, the headphones must be connected to extension cord* (which is supplied and nice quality) because actually length of the headphones is very short. However, this can get heavy and cause annoying discomfort on the left ear due to the weight of the connecting point.

*It may not apply to U.S.A and other models.

3) In Japan, customers have wide selection of very nice accessories. I hope in near future, these accessories will be available to many other regions.

4) Possibly reduce this hissing sound (though not a big deal) in future Walkmans.

Edit:

2007年1月27日 (1/27/07)

Method to get rid of static noise

Lately, there were many complaints regarding to light static noise that occurs about every 10 seconds.

I noticed that the static sound occurs just at the moment when the display is turned on from off.

So, let's say the song is playing. Then about every 10 seconds, there is a screen saver with some bubbles; this is when I hear a static sound.

To get rid of this static, turn off the screen saver:

Menu>Settings>Advanced Settings>Power Save Mode>Save ON SUPER. I believe the only difference between the Save On Normal and Super is the screen saver.

Now, the other way of getting static sound is when you hit a button thus turning on the display from off. So, while to song is playing, just enjoy the song without pressing a button.

To be clear, having display on does not make static sound. It is only the moment when the display is being turned on from off.

This method does not fix the hissing sound, however, it should prevent static sounds from occurring.

I hope this is helpful to everyone. :)

Summary and Conclusion

Sony has been placing the sound quality as their primary goal in making Walkmans, since the Digital Audio Player (DAP) is for music listening. Accordingly, NW-S706F supports many formats: ATRAC (ATRAC3, ATRAC3plus, ATRAC Advanced Lossless), AAC, MP3, WMA and linear PCM. To enhance listening experience, for the first time, Sony adopted built-in Noise Canceling function along with Clear Stereo and Clear Bass. Also, this is the first Walkman to use full color OLED display; the screen brightness has been improved thus improving visibility under the sun light.

There are areas in need of improvements: reduction or elimination of static and hissing sounds, improvement of the software (SonicStage), better marketing and availabilities of accessories and models (i.e. NW-S706F 4GB) in all regions.

In conclusion, NW-S706F is one of the finest and most beautiful Walkman made by Sony.

Edit:

2007年2月22日 (2/22/07)

I would like to edit few things to prevent from miss leading people into a wrong idea.

Above, I mentioned hissing sound issues which may or may not bother people with MDR-NC022 (supplied noise-canceling earphone), which is audible only under very quite environment. However, this is not due to the NW-S706F itself, but more due to the MDR-NC022.

When MDR-EX90 is used with NW-S706F, the hissing sound is reduced significantly, it shouldn't bother people with most sensitive hearings; thus, the player itself produces very clean sound.

Also, the static sound can be eliminated with the method I mentioned in January.

And, yes it does play back ATRAC Advanced Lossless and linear PCM :)

Edited by Zizone

asadasad22:

Sorry but only software I used with NW-S706F is SonicStage 4.1. So I can't say whether MP3manager works with this player.

DanteSS3:

Personally I would recomment this model because its superior sound quality, noise cancelling fuction and color OLED. I own NW-E407 and NW-S706F sound quality is much better than NW-E407. But since I haven't tried NW-E507 I can't say for sure. However, NW-S706F should solve your bulky noise canceller issue.

Edited by Zizone

Oh wow I forgot totally about the CP's existance. But even the CP works, ATRAC advanced lossless and PCM is not supported so I don't think it can bring out the best of this player through CP.

Yes, I the pdf manual came with the player. However, the manual is in Japanese and uhh... please give me instruction how to post the pdf manual (sorry I don't know how to post pdf).

And I don't have accessory to try recording function, eventhough I would love to try it.

I am sorry for not being much of help.

hehe, the manual isn't that important. I thought the recording cable would have come with the device, apparently not, pity. ya pcm is not supported in CP and neither is the lossless like u mention, but i only use wavs rarely and stick to 320 mp3 and the quality is golden on my a series so have no need for lossless. thanks for the info, since i never liked SS and it didn't work once i upgrade to version 3 or 3 point something for my MD, then got CP and haven't looked back.

uhm let me see here, can u delete songs off the player using the player, or do u still need the software to do that? like with the a series?

playlists, how easy or quick is it to flip thru them? again no playlists on the player right? have to use SS to transfer them?

how comfortable is it to use and hold? as well is there a place to attach a lanyard?

hehe, the manual isn't that important. I thought the recording cable would have come with the device, apparently not, pity. ya pcm is not supported in CP and neither is the lossless like u mention, but i only use wavs rarely and stick to 320 mp3 and the quality is golden on my a series so have no need for lossless. thanks for the info, since i never liked SS and it didn't work once i upgrade to version 3 or 3 point something for my MD, then got CP and haven't looked back.

uhm let me see here, can u delete songs off the player using the player, or do u still need the software to do that? like with the a series?

playlists, how easy or quick is it to flip thru them? again no playlists on the player right? have to use SS to transfer them?

how comfortable is it to use and hold? as well is there a place to attach a lanyard?

I sent manual to Ishi so I believe it will be posted soon. And yeah it is pity that the recording cable was not supplied with the player.

It is not possible to delete songs from player but only through the software like A series.

There are playlists on the player ^^. By using SonicStage 4.1 it is possible to set your play list.

Fliping through the list is quick enough but possibly due to Album arts, there is very little slow down about 0.5 seconds. It is just enough to notice but actually it is very fast and doesn't bother me.

There is a lag in a Jacket search like I mentioned before and this is the only area where there is noticeble slow down for about 0.5 to 1.0 seconds. But still this didn't bother me and thought is was fast enough. Also, there is a hissing sound when searching through the Jacket search for some reason but when music starts the sound is not evident (sounds like the noise cancelling function is being turned on and off).

The player is very confortable to hold and use, especially the menu botton is conveniently located on the side of the player and it will not be pressed accidently. Only button that is hard to press is the playmode/sound button on the back of the player. So all other function can be managed with one hand.

There is a place to attach a lanyard which is similiar to NW-E407.

Edited by Zizone

1 question.

After you charge the player via AC adapter (not doing any music transfer, just charging), does it loose its current track position? (Back to the first track). This is 1 annoyance with Sony flash player. 1 thing I like about iPods, they still hold the current track position after charging.

1 question.

After you charge the player via AC adapter (not doing any music transfer, just charging), does it loose its current track position? (Back to the first track). This is 1 annoyance with Sony flash player. 1 thing I like about iPods, they still hold the current track position after charging.

Sony fixed this issue somewhat:

When you use USB cable to charge without data transfer, the player holds its current track but not the exact position of the track. So the same song is displayed but the song starts from 00:00 (when the player is connected to a computer, it says data access and seems to reset the time but the track holds).

I am sorry but I haven't tried with AC adapter but only with USB cable. So as for the AC adapter I cannot say for sure.

I am sorry about changing the answer.

Edited by Zizone

If you look at the file directory of the included software CD for the NW-S706F I bought in Shinjuku last week, you will find English and a bunch of other full PDF manuals for the device, not just Japanese.

Welcome to ATRACLife!

Thanks for the note. Would you be interested in contributing English version of the user manual? If so, please drop me a pm. Thanks again and enjoy your stay with us. :)

Hi! I'm from Canada. I just bought the NW-S705f a couple of days ago and its fantastic! Funny thing is, I bought it on the day the sony store got the shipments in :). Absolutely love the noise canceling earphones, and ya they are really comfortable. The crazy thing is that even when i'm riding on the sky train, i cant hear the people around me talk (annoying chatter) but i can hear the speaker phone of the voice that tells you which station you are. Reason probably being that the volume level i set my player to was like around 8, so its still on low level volume but i can still hear my music very cleary.

i'd say the noise cancelling feature is a step in the right direction. More often than not when i'm usually riding on the bus, people with ipods blast their earphones, which is really stupid cuz they're going to mess up their hearing, and its also annoying for people who sit around them who are trying to sleep (ie: me lol)

The accessories for the NW- S700F are really hard to get though. I'm hoping the sony store here will receive them soon, cuz i want the neckstrap lol. Kinda of sux if i have to keep it in my pocket and i cant show it off by wearing it around me neck. Also, the bubbles animation thing is pretty cool, and its nice for people to stare at it if the player can be worn like a digital necklace kind of.

Edited by sweeper

The REALLY interesting accessories are coming out later this week in Japan, Sony will release the tiny Bluetooth transmitter for the S-70X and the compact Bluetooth headphones. This adds about 1.5 cm to the length of the S-70x (connects at the WM-port) but wirelessly transmits to the 'phones, which are a compact Streetstyle type.

The phones were already in stock when I left Japan last week, but Nov 17 was the release date announced for the BT transmitter.

All the other accessories, audio record cable, docking stand, armband, chain and leather type neck straps, clear plastic clip, and leather case were all readily available. I find myself using the clip most of all.

Hi Guys, got mine last Wednesday. I am from Malaysia and noticed that NW-S706F was also made in Malaysia. Besides that the sound is okay. Though I think the FM bass is lower than my K800i connected thru the standard wired headphone. Is it me?

So far I have I have imported using 20odds album using atrac 356 (with another 1.3 gb to go) after transfering using atrac lossless also at 356khz. I noticed that the sound is slight better if I extract using WAV and then transfer using atrac 356 but the file size is almost 4 times bigger. Anyone want to confirm, pls?

Lastly, how do you put the screen protector on NW-S706. It can't stick. In fact, it can't stick on my stereo bluetooth headset DS970, too. Is it some sort of different surface? Anyone can help?

Cheers.

Edited by tcs

well after around 3 weeks use, part of the rubber surrounding the noise cancelling earphone tore off. wtf?! I think its because i stuck the mp3 player in pocket when not in use and so maybe if i was running at one point the earphones rubbed against the walkman itself on the metal part that spins... or i dunno. Its just sad.. kinda pissed but, eh w/e.. ear phones stil work great. I just wonder if the sony store can give me a new set of earphones later on, since i bought the 1year warranty from them. ... i doubt it though, its not a big deal but.. it really sux when i look at the tear on my earphones.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to ask a question .Is the sound quality of these news players better ,then previous Sony walkmans(NW-E5XX series,NW-A6xx,NW-1000 etc )?

Yes, but about same as NW-1000. However, in noisy area NW-S706F sounds better.

Hey,DSP,Does it produce more Bass as Comparision to A1200?

hell yeah!

I think clearbass is really noticable. you can ajust it though, if you don´t llike much bass.

you really can´t compare it to the nw-a series. the bass on this thing is just better.

The bass is very good and sounds surprisingly natural. it´s not like megabass, wich could sound a bit ´muffled´ sometimes.

greetz

Edited by DSP

I have the NW-S703F and I love the earphones supplied, while the noise-cancelling feature is amazing. I went to an amusement park a few days ago and used the noise-cancelling feature while I went on all the rides, including the roller-coaster. Needless to say, all the screams from the other people, not to mention loud clanking noises from the rides, were sucessfully blocked-out and I was able to listen to great rock music while speeding on thriller rides. I even belted out a couple of tunes on the Pirate Ship!

One problem with the earphones is that the music tends to sound, while not exactly muffled, rather thick. I got used to it, but it can also easily be amended by using the VPT such as studio, which makes it sound slightly more echoey and lighter.

hell yeah!

I think clearbass is really noticable. you can ajust it though, if you don´t llike much bass.

you really can´t compare it to the nw-a series. the bass on this thing is just better.

The bass is very good and sounds surprisingly natural. it´s not like megabass, wich could sound a bit ´muffled´ sometimes.

greetz

Hi DSP

Is your player a European model, and if so how does it sound with the volume capped?

hi angrybadger:

yes, I have a european model. I think the volume is capped, ´cause it should be according to EU laws and regulations.

however, I do not notice it! the volume of my nw-s703 rarely gets above 15 (it goes up til 30)

I also have a nw-a1200, EU model, and on this walkman I noticed the lack of volume, so I hacked it.

I don´t think I´m gonna hack the nw-s703 ´cause the volume is good enough for me.

greetz

Edited by DSP

• 2 weeks later...

hi angrybadger:

yes, I have a european model. I think the volume is capped, ´cause it should be according to EU laws and regulations.

however, I do not notice it! the volume of my nw-s703 rarely gets above 15 (it goes up til 30)

I also have a nw-a1200, EU model, and on this walkman I noticed the lack of volume, so I hacked it.

I don´t think I´m gonna hack the nw-s703 ´cause the volume is good enough for me.

greetz

Thanks DSP

I picked up a NW-S706FV yesterday and am quite pleased with it. The earphones sound good but on one ear they are a little uncomfortable. Even though the volume is capped I find it loud enough. I also tried the stock phones supplied with my A1200 and they sound good too.

Oh wow I forgot totally about the CP's existance. But even the CP works, ATRAC advanced lossless and PCM is not supported so I don't think it can bring out the best of this player through CP.

Wait .NW-S7xx series does support Atrac Advanced Lossless.I have tested it .

anyone could help me here?

is the S706 line-in functions how its works?

after u record from a pC or a Discman

its is in what format ?

and can u set the record format and bitrate and able to transfer back to PC to keep ?

Hi madleet3

It records with atrac 256 kbps; 128 kbps(Default setting) and 64 kbps. It also records with Linear-PCM 1,411 kbps. You can also transfer the tracks onto SonicStage to keep.

Does anyone know if the earphones are under the 1 year warranty?

Usually they don't include warrenty for accessories ,but I will still suggest you to contact Sony Sony regarding this & Also read your Warrenty card .

I think earphones are under the one year warranty. When my NW-HD1's earphones broke, my cousin told me to go and swap it for a new set, as my Walkman was still under warranty (why she didn't tell me this four years ago, when my first Walkman's earphones broke under warranty, I'll never know). I managed to swap my NW-HD1's earphones for the NW-HD5's earphones (because they didn't have any NW-HD1s in stock anymore).

Edited by kerfuffle

Earphones should be covered under warranty. It would be pretty bad if they weren't since the noice cancelling feature only works with those earphones. Out of interest, anyone know how much Sony would charge to replace these earphones out of warranty? I'm sure they wouldn't last forever & almost certainly have a shorter lifespan than the player itself.

I'm surprised to hear that a dinky little flash player like this can record at all & very surprised to hear it can do so at PCM quality. Anyone care to compare a recording with the same done with MD?

Hi madleet3

It records with atrac 256 kbps; 128 kbps(Default setting) and 64 kbps. It also records with Linear-PCM 1,411 kbps. You can also transfer the tracks onto SonicStage to keep.

thx ANGRYBADGER

btw is itt able to ID the track and auto cut off every song and record again or its manual recording?

oh its in atrac format hmm so i guess no way to convert to mp3 format?