Rate this topic

thefanboy

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My some more predictions are ....

video walkman may have terrestrial analog tv receiver built-in

digital tv tuners might be available as accesory(all standards jap,korean...).The walkman will have a slot for this.

cable TV tuner

location free TV support

recording facility for all the above

dolby/dts support

quite a wishlist....!!

Ascariss Posted Jan 28 2007, 07:11 PM

QUOTE(theFanboy @ Jan 27 2007, 10:07 PM)

Ascariss,

when did you become a moderator ?

long ago.

oh, is it :huh:

Sony have not abandoned this endeavor. Stay tuned for in-depth news regarding development of the Walkman series for 2007. :)

Aww, don't tease me so. I'm cautiously optimistic about any new Walkman products. After a year plus, I'm hoping Sony would have observed the market and tried to predict the next stage, rather than try to play catch up with Apple. A Walkman with aesthetics and the touch screen of the iPhone, released before the 6G iPod would be just the kind of boon Sony needs. (Instead of the click wheel, Sony could continue on with the Grid Sense from the Vaio Pocket. I liked it)

As for software, maybe Tim Schaaff is working on a new replacement, that might actually be seen as a good alternative to iTunes? I don't want to get to excited, but...

Okay, since this is a predictions post... I say that the 'other route' is XMB rather than a touch screen - I think that's pretty much guaranteed. I really really hope that the new HDD walkman is basically a PSP minus a UMD drive, so that it keeps the wi-fi and the other media functions.

I'm just curious if they'll change anything on the software/service side of things - whether they'll stick with Sonicstage and Connect or come up with something totally new, possibly something linked to the Playstation Store.

But, for now, I guess we'll keep waiting... At least we get Sonicstage 4.3 in the meantime :)

-Nav

EDIT: looks like Sonicstage 4.3 won't have anything new - aah well, back to dreaming ;)

Edited by navsimpson

We will post some really hot info on Saturday. Stay tuned.

Can't wait, so by soon in the other thread, ou meant very soon.

@ Ascariss: you have been constructively critical of the Walkmans in the past, do the new ones alleviate some of your earlier grievances ( you dont have to give specifics, a reassurance will do!)?

Well one major issue was solved for me assuming the plans are still on, and thats to do with the type of storage used and how much of it is available. hold tight though for saturday. :D

yay lots of flash! 8GB is the minimum to expect, maybe even 10-16GB is possible? Anything regarding DRM?

Oh God, Please Sony surprise the world and let them be awesome, great looking, and actually fully functional with all of the latest technology and possibly even new innovations. HDD model and a flash based model? Come on Sony, if Microsoft can do it, you can do it too. (And please don't neglect America)

Oh Yes.... I really can`t wait till Saturday....

Well, my dream is a walkman which got the Screen of the PSP (probably OLED), XMB as Menu, but with touchscreen, Connectivity with the PS3...

In the Blu-Ray Forum there`s been an Insider from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (Paidgeek), who was talking about a possible release from Blu Ray Discs with a portable Version of the Movie on it (PSP Version)... It would be great if that would be possible for the Video Walkman.... I mean buying the Blu Ray Disc and getting the Portable Version with it, and those Blockbusters, like Spiderman, or the Disney Movies Pirates of the Carribean... That would really be mind blasting..... Let`s wait and hope...

This is the Post from and the link to the blue-ray forum...

"Quote:

Originally Posted by mbslrm

Do you any details on the portable movie file BD might ship with in the future?

As you would expect, we think we can make something that works well on PSP as a first step. The schedule is not fixed yet, but it would be interesting to know how the members here feel about how attractive a feature this is.

SPE Blu-ray insider "

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=4988

ascariss,

very nice of you to give info on storage.

kurisu-san,

thanks a ton, suddenly saturday seems to be far from now.

BastiB,

I am liking the concept of blu-ray coming with free portable version in it. it will work in favor of making blu-ray popular and will give push for walkman and psp platforms.

your signature "the walkman will rise again" is very catchy.

BastiB,

I am liking the concept of blu-ray coming with free portable version in it. it will work in favor of making blu-ray popular and will give push for walkman and psp platforms.

your signature "the walkman will rise again" is very catchy.

I know it is a bit catchy, but hey I love Walkman for many years.... so I don`t mind..... B)

Hey is today Saturday....? Oh no it isn`t....... :o:o:o just Thursday..... another two days to go...... :unsure:

Hey Sony this is for you.... A bit luck can`t be wrong.... :clover:

Hey, ascariss and kurisu-san,

if you`d like to you can post a bit earlier..... we would not be angry..... :huh::huh::huh:

If you guys don't like what you read this Saturday, please do take note that our upcoming announcement will not be the only one for 2007. :)

Ishiyoshi,

what are you doing with us....? How should I sleep till Saturday...? :unsure:

But this Saturday there will be an announcment about the Video Walkman and not "just any other" walkman...., will it....? :unsure::sad::blink::)

Hey I just gotta have to cool down..... Yeah Relax..... B)

Hello Fanboy,

I´ve got some news from blue-ray.com.... Have a look...

"Originally Posted by dialog_gvf

I believe the idea is to include an encoding tuned for the PSP on a regular BD disc (plenty of space with BD50). You'd then use a PS/3, PC with BD drive, or whatever players supported the transfer to copy the PSP version onto a MemoryStick.

This is a lot like Managed Copy, but there isn't a need to re-encode.

Gary

This feature is still in development, but moving along nicely. I'll let you know when the first title to have it is decided.

SPE Blu-ray insider "

That sounds very good, doesn`t it.....?

Edited by BastiB

I think that would be amazing, and perhaps the first really 'new-media-friendly' move that Sony would make. People have been clamouring for an easy way to get things you traditionally watch on a TV onto a portable device. If these portable movie files work with the Video Walkman as well as the PSP, I think Sony would really offer something people want.

Also, my prediction for tomorrow's news? Larger flash players, perhaps with larger colour screens. I think the Vid Walkman news will come out later, timed for the release of the updated Playstation Store that will have movies and games and be accessible from the PSP. Any takers on bets? :D

Ishi/kurisu,

Please update us now..... Can`t wait anymore..... Can`t you hear me crying...? :-)

theFanboy

I don`t really know what SPHE is planning right now... If they want to take a big Advantage for Blu Ray they will open it up even to Competitors...

Let`s wait and see....

okay, so this is a flash based video walkman with a max of approx. 8GB, right?

I hope the screen is good for video. So not too small. I can't really imagine this in an ipod-nano like design, But we'll see.

This menu in colour would be awsome. Hope it's not a rip of of the sony china's CE-P series.

Would it have clearstereo, clearbass and VPT? 8-10 hours video playback is awsome!!! If the screen is good enough, It'll slap the ipod and many others in the face!! What about codec support? Will it support AVI, MPG, DIVX, MP4, WMV or (just like PSP) only MP4? How do you transfer these files? By drag 'n drop or with sonicstage. If so, would sonicstage 4.3 have this video support allready?

I think it's a good move for sony to go this way, but I hope a larger Walkman wit larger capacity comes out. Maybe with a bigger screen. It'll be a good player, if those 8 Hrs. video playback on a decent screen are true!

I can't wait to get my hands on this, or to see the first pictures of it!!

greetz

Edited by DSP

Thanks for posting the news Ishiyoshi :)

Was wondering generally though - am I the only one a little underwhelmed? I guess I was expecting more of a revolutionary rather than evolutionary step.

As I posted on the blog, it seems strange to have a device that plays video but that is also so small. Since it's almost certain that the touch screen on the iPhone will be transported to the iPod - i.e. a device with a screen almost as big as the PSP's - won't Sony be coming to the table with too little and too late? It's not like they can afford to rest on their laurels, right?

-Nav

Edited by navsimpson

I'm a little excited.

I really only have a few concerns:

- Software? While SS4.2 isn't that bad, it's still not that great. Also, if this is a Video Walkman, doesn't that mean there has to be a Video Connect store? I'm a little concerned that the transition won't be smooth.

- Smaller than the iPod Nano, yet a larger screen, with a form factor similar to the A3000/1000? That's almost impossible I think. Interested to see what it looks like. I mean, to keep the dimensions the same or close, with a bigger screen, would mean there is little space for the joypad (unless it's using a different type of navigation...)

- Release date? Please Sony, I would love to buy this, as I am really sick of my iPod, but don't do your usual, "Release in Japan 2 months after the announcement, Europe the next month, and then North America 6 months later, but only in select stores, making it incredibly hard to find).

- Advertising? If Sony's serious about going up against the iPod, they better advertise this.

I really can't wait to see it though. The A6xx was was brought to class by a friend, and received a lot of attention. So obviously people want to buy your products Sony, just make it easier for us to do so!

Thanks for the news guys!

Oh, and an HDD product, when?

Edited by EZero

I am diappointed. we were expecting something innovative....what is the fun in bringing 2 year old nano design to walkman.

8 to 10 hours of video playback means the screen will be oled.....which means ppl are going to complain unable to see in sunlight(if it is going to have same shiny surface as a3000). pls expect a bad press on this too.

It wont be a shadow in the next gen ipod, it will be a shadow on 2 year old ipod nano..... :sad:

Man, Apple didn't say anything, and people came up with all sorts of photoshopped iPods, and we don't even have any pictures for Sony's new video walkman?

Well, I managed to find 1 top secret prototype photo of this rumored new video walkman. Behold!

newvideowalkmansf4.jpg

Sony was even kind enough to show my favorite new series, Kamen Rider Den-O.

:P

So this is Sony's attempt at regaining some market share. It seems fine, though by the time it arrives on the market it will probably be outdated already. What I think is that Sony has to think ahead and offer something new, instead of just trying to offer a little more of the same. Video on a 2 inch screen won't be particularly nice, despite the better battery life. I never watch videos on the 2.5 inch screen of the regular iPod because I consider it too small. Why don't they add bluetooth and make the player act as a cellphone headset, for instance? So you can counter the iPhone with a player that can work with any regular cellphone without locking you into a carrier or a plan. Why don't they add wi-fi and LocationFreeTV playback? (And why don't they make the PS3 work as a LocationFreeTV base?) If they disseminate these services, they can offer something new. Or they can think of something else. Just doing what Apple did years ago doesn't help, though, especially with a media that's ready to diss anything that doesn't come from Apple.

That said, I'm curious about this player, though I certainly won't buy it because of capacity. I would love to ditch my iPod for a new Sony player, but 80GB is the minimum capacity acceptable, and it's time Sony adds gapless playback to MP3 as well, not only Atrac.

Sony is already prepared for a 2nd gen video walkman, estimated release date in 2010.

Here's another prototype photo, somewhat similar to a competitor's product.

videowalkman2dd8.jpg

Sony has been plaqued by slow delivery of announced products, so this 2nd gen walkman will be equipped with a "Hyper clock up" accessory, enabling the user to fast forward through time if they are not patient enough to wait for future Sony products. *

*Sony is not responsible for any side effects due to time travel.

:P