My Walkman video predictions

Rate this topic

thefanboy

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From where did you get this secret Prototype photo ?

Nah, that's the low-end/cheap low capacity version. This is the real deal 100GB version, incorporating a touch screen controls.

touchscreenwalkmanks1.jpg

Unfortunately, no "Hyper clock up" accessory available (that accessory is exclusive for the 2010 model). However, to allow extended playtime on the go, this version has a feature called "Start up." At the top on the unit near the Sony logo, there is a small wheel inside. You can spin this wheel to charge internal battery. Spinning the wheel for 2 minutes will give you 20 minutes of video playback.*

*Disclaimer: Spinning the wheel and shouting "Start up!" will not transform you into Boukenger.

:D

Hey Guys,

Yes I think a lot of us are a bit dissapointed, because there was nearly nothing that we wished there would be...( see this thread...), but hey let`s have a look what Ishi posted just a few days ago:

"If you guys don't like what you read this Saturday, please do take note that our upcoming announcement will not be the only one for 2007."

So I think a real competitor for the I-Pod Video will still be announced. This is a Competition for the I-Pod Nano...., and for that I think it will be quiet nice.... And I think there are a lot of questions to be still answered... Content? Look? etc...

So probably Ishi has some more Infos....

theFanboy:

With this Opinion I still believe....

Well, I think Sony may have missed the boat yet again with this product! Certainly from my point of view it isn't going to make me give up on the iPod line yet.

8gb of flash memory, nice but I think the iPod will get 12 maybe even 16gbs of memory later this year, so Sony has missed the chance to steal a lead on Apple here. Personally I will hold out for higher memory on the Nano, as I have just got into lossless files for home listening.

Video playback. Not a major concern for me. Perhaps the odd music video, but really the screen is to small even for this. (Are Sony, Apple and mobile phone producers in league with Opticians. All these small screens cannot be good for the future generation's eyesight!) I would have rather seen playback of a lossless format (see above) and support for Audible files (Audiobooks).

So there is nothing to make me want to rush out and buy one of these. I shall keep my iPod Nano for audiobooks, my S706F for portable use, my iPod 5G (60gb) for home listening, with lossless files paired with my ZS-M50 Sony CD/MD/Radio Boombox!

Just my 2 pence worth, but Sony another opportunity missed.

Well, you have to think this may just be the start. 8GB might be the highest for now, but I'm assuming that Sony will have an HDD version announced at the end of the year, and maybe the flash players may have a bigger brother with 16GB or something. Let's at least give this new player a chance.

Well I hope it is a start, but to be honest I don't think Sony can afford a start, they must beat Apple to increase their market share. What use would it be to release a 16gb model in December, if Apple have released a 16gb Nano in October. I don't really see the inclusion of video as a major challenge to Apple, other companies have tried that route before, such as Sandisk without much success. I think size in terms of gigabites is more important in these small players.

Personally I wish Sony's new player all the best, I was just saying its not for me.

I was thinking - could 'smaller than the Nano' actually mean thinner than the Nano? That little teaser countdown on the German site - http://www.sony.de/view/View.action?site=odw_de_DE - made me think that it might actually be full size with a huge screen... Dunno' really, just guessing. But maybe it'll be that thin through the use of an OLED screen?

Just ramblin'...

-Nav

Edited by navsimpson

I was thinking - could 'smaller than the Nano' actually mean thinner than the Nano? That little teaser countdown on the German site (http://www.sony.de/view/View.action?site=odw_de_DE) made me think that it might actually be full size with a huge screen... Dunno' really, just guessing. But maybe it'll be that thin through the use of an OLED screen?

Just ramblin'...

-Nav

According to that site the announcement will be made in 2 weeks. From the teaser it loks very similiar to NW-A1000 just more rectangular (as described). Interesting times ahead!

The recent announcement states that the device will be 6.5mm thick. That is the same as the current nano so on that basis it is probably unlikely that when saying the device was smaller than the nano they were referring to its thickness. But you never know I guess. Will definitely be interesting to see the actual specs and see the device.

Yea... It will be interesting how the Video Part is introduced in Software..... And will Sony really sell Content through Connect...? I think in the teaser the form factor looks really good.... So let`s hope those 2 weeks end fast... :-)

theFanboy:

Hey still hoping...? I think there will come a release a bit like we would like it.... But I think competing with the Nano is a good first beginning...

Yeah i'm picking that they're going to release new software with the latest walkman. I think Sony's lack of marketing is tied to the fact that they know their software is lacking. Maybe if they feel they've got that right it will be game on with Ipod.

Also maybe they are being a bit tricky and at the same time they release this nano-ish one they will also release a HDD version???? Nah I can't see that hapenning but it would be cool!!

the image(form factor)shown on sony.de is accurate.

Thickness is around 6-7 mm,totally flat design,screen printed -(long hold icon)'pwr off',at 2 oclock key,and screen printed '-home' at 5oclock button.

volume rocker switch at top right edge of unit

very small in hand,big (long,widescreen) gives great first impression.

Holding(seeing even)this in person is the only accurate way to describe this.

March 1,global announcement.

honestly, I don´t really like the silhouet on the german site.It looks a bit odd to me.

I hope they come up with a better design. Otherwhise you´ll get the same thing as with ipod. Practically the same design for years. I hate that.

Sony has always had the power to come up with a special design time after time.

I hope sony is really preparing to go and fight the ipod. I mean, good codec support, good battery life, drag n drop, nice screen, good navigation and what aout 16GB flash?! It´s possible, so if the could do that it would really sell!!! And release the damn thing 1 week after anouncement in stead of 1-2 months!

but I guess we´ll just have to wait 2 weeks and see what the big S bringing to the battle field: a soldier with a hand gun or an armored tank with a real big gun on top.

@ biozet: where did you get that information from????

greetz

Edited by DSP

bob123 - Yeah, I agree, I think Sony has had to hold off on marketing until their software is bug free. While SS has continued to get better and better, we know that it still has all sorts of problems. Maybe this is the end of Sonicstage?

Maybe it will have the XMB after all - if biozet's info is correct, then perhaps the home button and d-pad will lead to the XMB menu system?

-Nav

Bastib,

competing with nano is good but sony is yet to learn some fundamentals.

though s7 is a great product, the u/i is real crap. i wonder if it is designed for human beings or not. the menu button is in unusable position and that awful throttle button.....I hate it. If I want to change the album or song, i have to go thru lot of painful switching. before I get to main menu my fingers shd go thru lot of gymanistics......

this is just not only for walkman but also with sony ericsson. w880 looks awesome, but the control buttons look terrible.....

still hoping on video walkman but if u/i is terrible.....it is not for me....

Edited by theFanboy

well, I think UI on S700 series fair enough.

OK, sony hasn´t got the best UI designers in the world. That´s the only thing where ipod scores points from my point of view.

The NW-A series UI is pretty neath, but it could be better.

I will do a comparison in ease of use of the UI between Sony NW-A1200 and Creative Zen Vison:M.

I ordered a zen today and I think it´ll be here tomorrow.

he UI of the zen is pretty neath too, so I´m very curious how user convenience is since I don´t like touchpads that much.

we´ll see about that by tomorrow.

greetz

well, I think UI on S700 series fair enough.

OK, sony hasn´t got the best UI designers in the world. That´s the only thing where ipod scores points from my point of view.

The NW-A series UI is pretty neath, but it could be better.

I will do a comparison in ease of use of the UI between Sony NW-A1200 and Creative Zen Vison:M.

I ordered a zen today and I think it´ll be here tomorrow.

he UI of the zen is pretty neath too, so I´m very curious how user convenience is since I don´t like touchpads that much.

we´ll see about that by tomorrow.

greetz

Actually, I think the A3000 has a very good interface, more intelligent than the iPod's in many aspects. The use of horizontal browsing to jump whole pages is a smart way to compensate for the lack of a scrolling wheel, and I love the ability to jump to a genre, album or artist list just by clicking on the respective item in the now playing screen. I also find much more useful to be able to change volume when browsing lists than to be able to jump tracks. The iPod's navigation is very dumbed-down, annoyingly so sometimes. It's a advance, advance, advance, go back, go back, go back all the time. The big difference is that the iPod's UI works much more smoothly, because the player has a bigger cache memory. Besides, having a higher resolution screen also helps, by providing more information. If Sony put all the database information in the cache memory, avoiding hard-disk access for browsing and thus speeding it up, and if they had a higher resolution screen, I think it could well be a great interface. Spicing it up with cover art etc. would also help. Oh, and please, it's time some company added Album Artist among the items to browse (not to mention Sony needs to put composer there as well).

@ navsimpson:

yeah, no problem! I´ll do that. personally i think it´ll be on par with nw-a series, but it won´t come close to nw-s700 series.

But i could be all wrong. I´m expecting it to be here round 3 PM. so I´ll be able to give a quick review by tonight. stay tuned :)

@ beethovian:

NW-A series UI is indeed very good. That´s true. But Ipod´s UI is just more simpel and more easy.

If you give the ipod and a NW-A1000 to an old noob, I think he´ll figure out the ipod first. see what I mean. Personally I like Sony´s UI better, for the

exact reasons you´ve just mentioned. But i´m just trying to say that the UI is the only strong/good point about that whole ipod thing.

And that very same UI will be on my zen too!! :) But the zen features much more and better features!

greetz

Edited by DSP

well,

I´ve played around with the zen for an hour.

I can say that overall SQ is indeed on par with NW-A series. The A-series does have a bigger bass and a bit more warm sound.

the zen has a nice warm sound too, but it can sound cold if it has to. The bass is good, though not as heavy as on A series.

he zen des have 25 Mw per channel whereas the A series has only 5 Mw. the SNR of the zen is really good, and it´s quite noticable using the sennheiser CX300´s. Therefore the zen sounds much clearer and sometimes ´´spacier´´.

So all in all, as far as I can say for now, the zen sounds really good. Sometimes I kinda miss that tight bass of the A series but I tend to get used to it´s bass as I enjoy the zen´s crystal clear sound. (the nw-a series have a little distortion and hiss in the sound occasionally) If I keep in mind that the zen has some sort of normalizer and an apart bass boost function, plays various video formats on a gorgeous 2.5 inch 265K QVGA LCD screen and has FM radio wich you actually can record and many more features I have to say that the zen is just a bit better than my beloved NW-A1200.

greetz

since navsimspon requested a review of my zen, or comparison between zen and nw-a1200, I could give a little review/comparison on the zen vision:M

in ´´pictorials and reviews´´.

But I´m just asking if any-one would like this and if it´s aloud, since it´s an atrac-related forum and teh zen doesn´t play atrac.

just let me know and I´ll give a little review.

greetz :)

well,

in that case I´ll go and get a better camera somewhere (probably from my dad) and give a quick review in ´´reviews and pictorials´´ this afternoon.

I hope it´s not a problem that it´s not a sony or atrac device? If it is, you just warn me. :)

Stay tuned for the review.

greetz

well,

unfortunately my dads´ camera is in use. So I have to wait ´till tomorrow to do a review.

I´m a little bit short in time this evening, so sorry guys. I promise I´ll post the review/comparison tomorrow!!!!

I can allready say that I´m gonna test the SQ with MP3 (LAME 3.98, 320Kbps 48.0Khz Stereo CBR) and WMA (have toc heck what settings).

Off course I will also test it with WAV/PCM. All encoded directly from an original CD.

I´ll do (as promised) a in-dept review/comparison to nw-a1200 on the zen tomorrow. I´ll (as requested) pay special attention to the sound.

greetz and sorry for the delay

Edited by DSP

According to previously credible sources, Sony is readying a video walkman which can play mini blu-ray discs.

Each mini blu-ray disc can hold 20GB........... Just kidding..............!!

get ready, just one more day to see the first video walkman. This may not be our expected stuff.....still it may throw some light on upcoming real video walkman.