Replacement for NWHD1

Rate this question

AlwaysTired

Question

Hi all,

Id much appreciate your advice on this. My NWHD1 has just collapsed and Sony has said that they wont/cant repair it.

No big problem I thought as I was prepared to buy the NWA3000, but as you all know that has been discontinued.

Im loathe to buy something that will probably cease to be supported soon so Im left with the question of what do I do with all my ATRAC tracks? Are there players out there that have a 20gb capacity (or more) that I can buy to replace the NWHD1 or am I going to be foreced to re-rip everything into another format and buy another brand player?

Thanks in advance

Mat

6 answers to this question

Hey Mat,

Welcome to ATRACLife Colloquium, hope you enjoy your stay here :)

As of right now, Sony does not have any high-capacity players. Depending on where you are located, I think the largest capacity right now is 6GB (NW-A1000) or 8GB (NW-A1200)

If you don't mind waiting, there should be a "video walkman" coming out in the next few months...

In the meantime, you could take a look at the flash based ones. The NW-S7xx series looks pretty good. Though the highest model tops off at 4GB, I think it's a great player. I kinda like my Sony flash based Network Walkmen more than the HD based ones. Even though they're smaller in capacity, the seek time between changing tracks is much quicker, and the battery life generally is much longer.

So yeah, I guess you can either wait it out, or look into a flash based network walkman.

Hey Mat,

Welcome to ATRACLife Colloquium, hope you enjoy your stay here :)

As of right now, Sony does not have any high-capacity players. Depending on where you are located, I think the largest capacity right now is 6GB (NW-A1000) or 8GB (NW-A1200)

If you don't mind waiting, there should be a "video walkman" coming out in the next few months...

In the meantime, you could take a look at the flash based ones. The NW-S7xx series looks pretty good. Though the highest model tops off at 4GB, I think it's a great player. I kinda like my Sony flash based Network Walkmen more than the HD based ones. Even though they're smaller in capacity, the seek time between changing tracks is much quicker, and the battery life generally is much longer.

So yeah, I guess you can either wait it out, or look into a flash based network walkman.

Thanks for the fast reply (and the welcome). Being fundamentally lazy I want a large capacity one so I dont have to keep refreshing the selections on the player - so Im stuck with needing one with at least 18gb capacity.

I have read around the web and I think I know the answer to this one but Ill ask anyway - Do any other manufacturers support ATRAC or is there conversion software that I can use to convert from ATRAC to another format?

TIA

Mat

Thanks for the fast reply (and the welcome). Being fundamentally lazy I want a large capacity one so I dont have to keep refreshing the selections on the player - so Im stuck with needing one with at least 18gb capacity.

I have read around the web and I think I know the answer to this one but Ill ask anyway - Do any other manufacturers support ATRAC or is there conversion software that I can use to convert from ATRAC to another format?

TIA

Mat

Hey Mat,

As far as I know, I don't know of any other company that utilizes ATRAC formatted music, as it is a proprietary format that was created by Sony, which was either not licensed to any other company, or no company wanted to obtain a license for... lol

ATRAC is a really 'secure' type of format, and I think there are no ways (easily) to convert it from .OMA to a different format. Hopefully somebody else in this forum can validate that for you, but im pretty sure it's not possible :lol:

Hi all,

Id much appreciate your advice on this. My NWHD1 has just collapsed and Sony has said that they wont/cant repair it.

No big problem I thought as I was prepared to buy the NWA3000, but as you all know that has been discontinued.

Im loathe to buy something that will probably cease to be supported soon so Im left with the question of what do I do with all my ATRAC tracks? Are there players out there that have a 20gb capacity (or more) that I can buy to replace the NWHD1 or am I going to be foreced to re-rip everything into another format and buy another brand player?

Thanks in advance

Mat

You can always try EBay. That's where I got my HD3. You can probably still find HD3s and HD5s...maybe even an NWA3000. I got my HD3 as a sony factory refurb and it works great. It looked brand new!!

Hey Mat,

As far as I know, I don't know of any other company that utilizes ATRAC formatted music, as it is a proprietary format that was created by Sony, which was either not licensed to any other company, or no company wanted to obtain a license for... lol

ATRAC is a really 'secure' type of format, and I think there are no ways (easily) to convert it from .OMA to a different format. Hopefully somebody else in this forum can validate that for you, but im pretty sure it's not possible :lol:

it's really easy. just make sure you can edit extensions, edit the name of an .oma file to .wav and there you go...

works fine for me.

greetz