Will there be new firmware for the E-005?

Rate this question

wichi

Question

It's getting close to Christmas, and I was just wondering whether Santa..oops....I mean Sony will be presenting new firmware for the NW Exxx models. Or will v2 be the last version?

I don't know how you guys think, but for me, being able to install new firmware and stuff like that really "freshens" up the player and keeps it modern/up to date.

What wouly you like to see incorporated into v3, or whatever it'll be called? Will Sony finally unlock the volume? Any bonuses like an intelligent shuffle? Or how about a update of ATRAC3+, so we can fit even more songs onto our players without loss of quality?

Lots of questions here, but it would be nice to know what you think/if you know something :)

Thx

7 answers to this question

yeah wassup. Iono for sure but i highly think there will be update but it will happen in a very very very long time. I highly think that it will not be before christmas because i have the nw-e507 which is last year's model like urs, and the first updated came out middle of this year. That is an xtremely long time. so im guessing next update will be forever. oh, yeah i get that nice and happy feeling too when i update my devices like my nw-e507 and psp, its good to update it. just a quick question, where are u from? im asking because u mentioned the volume, i wanted to know if u were in Europe or North America. Europe should be the one with the volume limiter. reply with the answer if u can, ty.

I'm European (Austria/England)! I bought the E005 in Austria and didn't know anything at the time about the volume limit put on all European players.

Although I've kinda got used to the volume the way it is now and have bought great sennheiser CX-300 phones, I still think unlocking the volume would benefit the quality of the sound, because I unlocked the volume on the NW A-1000 and it vastly improved the sound, even at moderate levels...made the sound more defined and not as "muddy".

Does anyone have any tips on squeezing all the juice out of the player without distorting the sound? EQ to max just doesn't work.

Has anybody increased the volume on mp3s using an external mixer/recorder and then transferred them to SonicStage? Does it work? I can guess it would be a lot of work to do!!!

There is too much compression when you put all EQ bars to full - it overloads, (because of the volume limiter) and that's why the player compensates and supresses the lows and covers it in mud.

This is where the volume unlock would solve the problem and let the sound run it's course, as the bands intended, and not get to twenty five on the volume bar and think, "oh my god, it's getting too loud...i have to sap all the life out of the song now!"

Still, like I said, i bought some in-ear headphones, which are great, and have had to settle for lower volumes, (but i'm still hoping for that genius who can solve this problem - or for Sony to give us the choice to listen to our music louder.)

Why is it that the French (who enforced the law) have to spoil things?.....by French I mean the government....

WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO DECIDE, NO? (This subject doesn't really get me worked up....you've not noticed, right? ;) )

My European nw-eoo5 volume goes all the way up to 30 which for me is loud enough. In traffic I can not hear it so I turn the volume up a little past 10. However if I still do not hear it then I do not bother and turn it off. I do not want to go deaf. What you/I need is some noise canceling headphones preferably not the inner ear type. Then one should be able to hear it at acceptable levels. In addition there is an AVLS(ADVANCED VOLUME LIMITING SYSTEM) FUNCTION THAT CAN LIMIT THE VOLUME TO 17 HOWEVER THIS CAN BE TURNED OFF IN THE SOUND OPTIONS. yAY HAPPY DEAFNESS TO ALL lol NOT!

I don't know how you guys think, but for me, being able to install new firmware and stuff like that really "freshens" up the player and keeps it modern/up to date.

Since when Sony did that with its Network Walkmen? The only significant firmware update they did was for the Vaio Pocket, adding MP3 and gapless playback. Other than that, firmware updates are extremely few and far in between, and those are only for bug fixes, not to "freshen" the player.