CPU usage of Sonicstage

Rate this topic

navsimpson

I'm curious to know - is something wrong with my PC given that Sonicstage is often at 20 - 40% CPU usage when it's doing absolutely nothing i.e. just open, not even playing a song. My venerable old laptop gets hot quickly and using SS just heats it up for no good reason.

Is anyone else having this problem? Or is this just the way the software works?

-Nav

It depends on how modern your CPU is. I have a P4 2.6GHz. SS when idle gets 0-2% CPU usage. Playing a song will jump the CPU usage to ~10% and go back to ~2-4%. Scrolling the library/tracks will hit up to 50% CPU usage. I find iTunes to have similar activities, hitting the CPU to about 48% during scrolling the library/tracks. My older AthlonXP 1700+ will have 100% CPU usage during the same activity(scrolling the library) in iTunes. If you notice CPU usage when SS is idle, check the task manager to see if it's caused by something else (eg. Firewall, virus scanner, or maybe virus/trojan/adware).

Thanks for the feedback guys... I check for viruses/spyware pretty regularly, and nothing has showed up. Perhaps it's because my PC is old? (P4m 1.8GHz). Well, I guess I'll have to suffer with it until I can afford a new laptop...

Why? Even though you see higher CPU usage, do you see any slowdowns? If not, the CPU can still handle the job just fine. Personally, I'm not wasting money on new PC just because I see my CPU usage jumps.

I was just using task manager - omg jukebox was the process I was checking. While when you first open SS, it's doing nothing (1 or 2 percent) after a while, it spikes for no reason - and, thus, so does my fan.

-Nav

Hmm something weird is happening there it seems. How long are you waiting before the useage spikes? Your computer's CPU is not that slow. Considering 0-1% useage of a P4 2.6Ghz, that's still nowhere near 50% of a P4 1.8Ghz. Given we don't know the bus speeds here and there are slight differences with P4 generations, that isn't really a big deal talking about a 1% CPU load.

• 3 months later...