Transferring SonicStage library from one PC to another

Rate this topic

sunking101

Blimey is this hard work! :huh:

I've just bought a new pc and want to transfer my 20GB library of ATRAC files from my old pc. This is proving harder than anticipated...

I've tried the backup tool, it said that dvd+RW discs aren't acceptable. Great, I just spent a tenner on them.

Now I need to know, what's the best method to do this transfer?

The details retrieved from 'properties' of my SonicStage program are:

SonicStage : 3.4.01.13062

SonicStage Add-on for Personal Audio Download : 3.4.00.12140

OpenMG Secure Module : 4.4.00.11241

MagicGate Memory Stick Device : 4.4.00.11241

NW-E2, NW-E3, NW-E5 and NW-E8P : 4.4.00.11241

OpenMG CD : 4.4.00.11241

M.S. PRO : 4.4.00.11241

CD Walkman : 4.4.00.11241

Hi-MD : 4.4.00.11241

Music Clip, NW-S4, NW-E7 and NW-E10 : 4.4.00.11241

HDWM : 4.4.00.11241

Net MD : 4.4.00.11241

EMD Plug-in: 1.2.0.9

CD-R Writing Module(Audio CD/ATRAC CD/MP3 CD) : 3.4.00.12140

Px Engine: 2.4.35.500

(I don't know if the above helps at all)

Anyway, are there any other discs I can use - I realise CDRs will be far too small. Can I join my two pcs together somehow? Other than that, I am prepared to buy a cheap external hard drive but need to be sure this transfer is going to work before I do that!

I've read horror stories of people not being able to transfer their libraries full stop! How can this be true? People DO change their computers, the fact is I own every single compact disc that I've loaded to my library and none are CDRs and no tracks are downloads. Why shouldn't I be able to move my songs from one pc to another? I have over 500 albums, I sincerely hope I don't have to upload every single one again! That will take me days!

So please kind people, can you advise me? Thanks in advance!

Hey sunking101,

Did you try to see if regular DVD+R/DVD-R discs will work or not? If not, is it possible to update sonicstage to version 4.2 before you do the backup? In SonicStage 4.2 I went into the backup utility and it looked like I was able to use a DVD to do my backup. (It warned me that I could not add anymore files to the disc after backing up). I didn't try out the backup, but it looked as if it did allow the use of DVDs to do it..

backup.jpg

Edited by aznbro85

So please kind people, can you advise me? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to ATRACLife! I have just answered your query at MDCF! :)

Anyhow, this is most peculiar. Sony claims that removable media such as CD-R/CD-RW, DVD+R/ DVD+RW, and DVD-R/ DVD-RW can be used as backup media for SonicStage Backup Tool. Concerning your present music library registered with SonicStage, are they 100% DRM free? If they are, you can simply copy them over to a new external HDD. I maintain a large ATRAC library via an external 320GB HDD and it works just fine with any desktops and notebooks that has SonicStage installed.

Thanks for your replies! How do I find out if the tracks in my library are 100% DRM-free? Also, with regard to the DVD+RW issue, my 3.4 version of SonicStage suggests that I can use them too (in the help pages) but when it comes down to selecting my E-drive with the DVD disk in it, SonicStage says "cannot back up data to the inserted media" :sad:

Edited by sunking101