MDR-A34SP/L series headphones

Rate this topic

BIGHMW

Anybody still, even 10 years later after their first production, remember the old-school MDR-A34SP/L headphones (SP series was stock-supplied with older MiniDisc Walkmans such as the MZ-R50/55/70/90 series)??? I'll tell you, these babies can PUT OUT some serious bass, and a whopping 108dB :excl: in only a 16 ohm impedence with a 16mm driver!!!

I just want to hear what some of you out there remember about them, as well as remind you if you want to get them that Sony STILL makes them even to this day. I have used MANY types of Sony stock series units, such as MDR-E808, 027, and even the "aftermarket" Sony pipes such as the Q66/67LW, and the notoriously-low-volume EX71/81 series, which cost me 40 bucks a piece, and I have always gone back to my A34s because they put out loud volume with less drive from my Walkman units (see left side of my posts for details on my units), and for in-line skating or cycling (due to Washington State laws requiring safety helmets whilst doing these activities), I actually prefer (even though the jury is kinda out on them since they are stock-supplied units with the NW-S200/203F/205F) the MDR-J011 clip-on pipes simply because they have a +4dB over the EX81 units (-J011 put out 104dB compared to EX81's miserable 100dB), and don't forget, today's Walkman units ONLY put out 5mW (1.5mW for Euro-capped units) as opposed to the ones from just 20 years ago.

What are your best (and worst) moments on these legendary pipes that are still made to this day? I remember back in the day they all came from Japan, before Sony went cheap and started making headphones in China, if you ask me, NOTHING Sony makes today will EVER rival the performance and quality of these (and most other pre-2000 MDR-Series units) babies.

What do YOU think?

Edited by BIGHMW