Interesting PS3-Walkman functionality blurb

Rate this topic

navsimpson

This is a snippet from 1up:

"The goal is to have complete control over the devices interacting with your PS3, says Sony Computer Entertainment Europe spokesman Jonathan Fargher. "We're hoping to incorporate that functionality in the very near future -- from a local level at the moment to a global level probably within the next six months," said Fargher. "If I have my MP3 Walkman or my iPod, or digital camera connected to PS3 then I can access those devices too."

What this seems to suggest is that the new video walkman (that was *not* announced at the 2007 line show!!!) might have some PS3 interactivity. 'Course, it also mentions the iPod, so it may not at all - but it's still an interesting idea, particularly if one could access content wirelessly or even over the 'net.

Also - is there any point in us having a PS3 forum? Or would it get overrun with non-ATRAC discussion?

-Nav

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157547

Interesting snippet there. After seeing the flurry of new devices today from Sony, I was also really hoping that there was a possibility of BT 2.0 (A2DP) being included in this new player... just think of the possibilities.... stream music from your fancy new NW-A800 to your car stereo, bookshelf system, wireless headphones, - maybe even the PS3? Hey, it has Bluetooth built-in too!

Yes this would be really cool...... Bluetooth Connection to several kind of media stuff..... and especially the PS3

Sony wants to make a PSP all over the world Connection between PS3 and all the Devices connected to PS3.... like location free.. I think.... so let`s wait and see... Can`t wait till tomorrow... :blink:

Until now, I am really disappointed with the functionality of the PS3 towards other Sony devices (besides the PSP that is). I have ripped various CD albums to Atrac music files on the PS3 hdd, but it is not possible to transfer these to your (minidisc) walkman. If you connect your walkman, the PS3 states: "Unknown USB device connected". You can't even use it as an external memory device.

In an ideal world you should be able to playback your songs from your walkman on your PS3. And it should be possible to use your PS3 to connect to the connect store to buy songs, not only for playing on PS3, but also for transferring to your walkman. And don't get my started about how you should be able to upload your songs from your walkman to the PS3 hdd.

In conclusion: Sony has the potential to make the PS3 the Online music hub that they are talking about for a long time now. They just should implement the functionality into one of the next firmware updates.

This is a snippet from 1up:

"If I have my MP3 Walkman or my iPod, or digital camera connected to PS3 then I can access those devices too."

Accessing info on ipod's can only be through itunes, correct? Sorry I am in no way associated with ipoos.

JSP62 - No, if you plug an iPod into a PS3 or 360, you can play the files off the iPod. I'm not a 100% sure on this, but I think the iPod doesn't wrap music files in the same way that Sony ones do.

Also, Aran - I thought you *could* play songs back from a Walkman. At least, that's what other people on the board have said. Perhaps you have to hit some button to bring up a directory structure and then go from there?

-Nav

Yes navsimpson, you are right. You can browse and play the contents of your walkman, but not (yet) the minidisc walkman. And indeed, you have to choose "view all" from the PS3 media bar to browse all of the folders.

The biggest problem I have with the PS3 is the fact that it could and should be so much easier to use your (Sony) USB devices with it!

PS3 recognizes USB mass storage devices. iPods ARE USB mass storage compliant, and unlike HiMD/MD, music are stored in iPods as plain MP3 files (albeit with randomized filenames and random folders). This means the PS3 can simply read the MP3s as is. I mean, the PS3 simply reads the iPod as a USB hard drive. Now, on HiMD/MD, MP3s and Atrac files are stored differently, not jsut as plain MP3s. So even though most Sony devices are USB mass storage compliant, the PS3 won't be able to read the music files since they are not stored as standard MP3s. navsimpson is right. MP3s on iPods are not "wrapped," unlike Sony's.