Sony NW-A3000 - replacing the battery

Rate this question

sonyk

Question

28 answers to this question

Guest Stuge

I tried that earlier, but there's no manual for the NW-A3000 just the 1000 model.......

You can refer that Service manual as well ,but becareful or

See how to remove the built in rechargeable battery of A3000 , Page no 84 of Operational manual(pdf) of NW-A3000.

post-6863-1125579226_thumb.jpg

hiya,Mine is about the same only sometimes I only get 2 hours ,mainly when charged from mains.SonyK What battery did you get from ebay ,I cannot find an nwa 3000 battery anywhere ,did it firt okay and does it now work.Please let me know before I bin my player as useless..Thanks

hiya,Mine is about the same only sometimes I only get 2 hours ,mainly when charged from mains.SonyK What battery did you get from ebay ,I cannot find an nwa 3000 battery anywhere ,did it firt okay and does it now work.Please let me know before I bin my player as useless..Thanks

There's a seller called DMC-Batteries on ebay based in the UK. Have ordered and installed said battery and its working a treat. The total cost including shipping was approx €21. Took ages to arrive but money well spent.

I was getting around 4 hours from my player and this has now solved the problem.

Just follow the instructions for removing the battery as above. When you have removed the four screws from the little "tray" that holds the battery, pull the cord to remove it. Then slide a knife, screwdriver or other object behind the battery to remove it - its been stuck into place. The reason for this is that you dont want to be pressing on the harddrive (which is directly underneeth the silver "tray". Then attach the new battery connector and screw the tray back into place. Pop the battery into the tray (no need to glue it stays in firm enough) and then put the rear cover on.

lol now sure what you guys are doing, but screensaver off, 15 sec display, EQ on to custom 1, and volume at 12-14 battery life easily lasts me 8-10 hours

Those were pretty much my standard settings.The battery would drop to the 3/4 indicator within about 20 minutes of playback so as far as i am concerned i had a faulty battery, however i had also opened the case and assumed i'd voided the warranty by doing so and have been stung for standard charges in the past so i done a DIY replacement and am all the better for it.

There's a seller called DMC-Batteries on ebay based in the UK. Have ordered and installed said battery and its working a treat. The total cost including shipping was approx €21. Took ages to arrive but money well spent.

I did the same and just got a battery from the same seller. I have yet to install it, though, as I'm concerned that it's smaller in size (its width is about 2mm narrower) than the original battery.

The replacement battery type seems to be correct, although there are some minor differences in the part no details:

New Battery:

Model No: CS-SA3000SL

Part No: LIS1356HNPA

1-756-608-21

5Y30A1697

Original NW-A3000 battery:

LIS1356HNPA(SY6)

1-756-608-21

5X12A0745

You reckon I should go ahead and do the swap?

When you have removed the four screws from the little "tray" that holds the battery, pull the cord to remove it. Then slide a knife, screwdriver or other object behind the battery to remove it - its been stuck into place. [...] Pop the battery into the tray (no need to glue it stays in firm enough) and then put the rear cover on.

I'm surprised you say there's no need to glue the new battery back. As I wrote above, mine seems quite narrower so it's hard to imagine it would stay firm.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks for all your tips.

lol now sure what you guys are doing, but screensaver off, 15 sec display, EQ on to custom 1, and volume at 12-14 battery life easily lasts me 8-10 hours

I've been enjoying decent battery life for about 10 months after I got the NW-A3000, where 'decent' is 8-10 hrs at best (so still a far cry from the advertised 30+hrs). That was OK, since most of my tracks were transfered as MP3s (not ATRAC) and I couldn't possibly tolerate the Brightness set to anything other than 'Maximum' (otherwise I couldn't see the screen during daytime). Screensaver off, EQ set to default, 15 sec display, new song pop-up OFF, volume 20-28.

So I had accepted that the max battery life I would get from the NW-A3000 with the above settings would be around 8hrs. Which was fine..

..UNTIL, 10 months later, I decided to play around with the ArtistLink feature. My original thought was to make 'custom' Artist Link associations so that I could get dynamic (sort of) playlists from artists that I had grouped as 'similar'. A huge mistake, as it turned out. This never really worked as intended.

ArtistLink adds a ridiculous amount of time and overhead when plugging the device to the PC and while loading the device's contents (I use SonicStage CP 4.3) it is 'processing' Artist Link information for about 10 mins and doesn't allow you to skip that step if you're in a hurry. Note that this was regardless of the amount of ArtistLink data. Nevermind whether I had just one small ArtistLink 'group' or several hundreds, it would still take ages to load. Furthermore, once I did that, it seemed to irreversibly mess up the Library database. It now took ages to navigate from one track to the next and from one artist to the other (at least 5 seconds for each 'step') and the battery LITERALLY didn't last for one whole song! If I just pressed play and never touched it again, I might've been lucky if it lasted for ~20 mins. If I used any controls or browsed within the playlist, the battery would drop down dead there and then, before I even managed to finish listening to ONE track!.

It could well be a coincidence, but the only thing that I could think as a culprit was my stupid idea to mess with ArtistLink. So, I exported my ArtistLink data to a txt file and removed every trace of ArtistLink information from the device & from My (PC HDD-based) Library, in the hope that things would return to normal.

Things DID NOT return to normal. My NW-A3000 has been constantly plugged to the wall socket ever since. The battery just kept playing up.

Tried backing up with Acronis, formatting the device, importing OMGAUDIO again. No change. Defragged the device plenty of times (it did make some diferrence in browsing time but obviously no difference whatsoever in the battery life)

Firmware has been v3.0 for quite a while (before this incident). I didn't want to try downgrading to a previous version of SonicStage, having been tortured by all different incarnations of CONNECT through to SonicStage (I was one of those users who grabbed a NW-A3000 as soon as it came out in Europe). The first two versions of CONNECT were a disgrace and I never really enjoyed the NW-A3000 until SonicStage/CONNECT came along. I think SonicStage CP 4.3 is, so far, the "best" version out there. (hard to say this about such a big, cumbersome, slow, memory-hog, CPU-hungry piece of software, but IN COMPARISON and in my opinion, it is). So I didn't want to go through all the hassle of converting the library again.

I accepted that it's a battery problem.

Now I finally got a new battery off eBay and I'm keen to try it out.

Sorry for the long post, I just thought I'd share my experience with you.

Anybody else ever had trouble with ArtistLink and browsing times/battery life?

I got rid of my A3000 exactly because of the ridiculous short batterylife, right from the start is was less then 10 hours, while my NW-HD1 lasted for ~25 hours (ATRAC 3+ 256kbs, shuffle).

I might be wrong but my theory is that the electronic memory is too small, making the thing slow because it has to access the HD far more often then f.i. the NW1. And this also leads to excessive batterydrain.

So I doubt chancing the battery for one with the same capacity will help a lot, it is not battery-aging but a designerror.

But again, I might be wrong.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my A808, that gives very long batterylife in a very compact package, but at the price of less memory (got the 8Gb version).

With the help of this thread, I have bought a new battery for my NW-A3000. However, when I came to fit it I found that the small plug which attaches the battery to a corresponding socket inside the device is smaller (thinner) than that on the original battery. With the original battery, there is a positive tight fitting, whereas with the replacement the plug remains loose when inserted into the socket.

The effect is that there is no electrical contact - when attached to the charger the device constantly accesses the hard disk, and the red charging light does not stay on. This is exactly the same as it is with the battery totally disconnected. I can be confident the problem lies with the replacement battery since I have been able to refit the original and use the device successfully.

The replacement battery seems to be correct - the same as quoted earlier in this thread:

Model No: CS-SA3000SL

Part No: LIS1356HNPA

1-756-608-21

5Y30A1697

Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe there are slightly different manufacturing variants of the device.

POSTSCRIPT

I pushed ahead and installed the replacement battery anyway. The battery wires are actually just a push fit into the small white connectors. So I was able to swap the connector from the old battery to the new by carefully pulling the wires off the old and pushing them tightly into the new with the blunt edge of a Stanley knife blade.

So there's no need to pay Sony £61 and no need for any cutting and soldering!

Edited by John S

I got the same battery with the wrong connector, it also came with the wrong tool for unscrewing the cover. Luckily I had the correct driver and a soldering Iron. I cut the wires from the old battery and soldered them to the new one and it all works fine now

I was a bit wary of buying a battery from ebay so I thought i'd try and get an official Sony replacement battery. After being passed around and told to phone quite a few different numbers they said it would cost £61.74, thats including tax with P&P. Haha bargain don't ya think !!!

So if anyone wants one call the Sony hotline on: 08702406354

I was a bit wary of buying a battery from ebay so I thought i'd try and get an official Sony replacement battery. After being passed around and told to phone quite a few different numbers they said it would cost £61.74, thats including tax with P&P.

Haha bargain don't ya think !!!

Bloody hell, that's tantamount to theft! You can pick up a brand new 4GB Sony player for close to the price of a battery :o

I bought my Sony NW-A3000 purely based on looks, i seen it and though it was cool as hell looking. Previously i had a Creative Zen Jukebox which i never had any problems with (other than when i forgot it was in my back pocket, sat on it, and busted the HDD).

However, for the past few months i get barely 2 hours of battery life out the wretched peice of crap. I wish i'd never bought the thing tbh, the software is slow, and terrible for managing anything, and INCREDIBLY slow for people like myself who have very large amounts of music.

I started putting only what id be listening to for that day/few days on my player, which is usually no more than 10 albums, and still its slow as hell navigating through them, and i have to pause my music before skipping to the next track/doing anything else because the player cant seem to handle doing two simple operations at once without slowing down to snail speed.

My advice: if you own this player, promptly launch the thing off a brick wall, and go get a Creative player. Ipod's are over rated to hell, nevermind them. Creative is the way to go.

Hi - I managed to get the casing off, but unfortunately, at the very last moment as I was easing the old battery out, I jerked on it and snapped the two tiny wires (one black, one red). Is it toe-tag time or is this situation recoverable? I have a new battery with a two-wire connector very much like a scaled-down version of a cpu-fan plug say, and these two wires, but also a rather obscure and tiny pcb that these wires were soldered to. Can I just twist the wires together like I did when I brought that crippled B2 bomber home? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :wave: