Is NW-E407 really USB 1.1?

Rate this question

chupacabra314

Question

I bought a NW-E407 three days ago after a thorough market research. Everywhere I looked they said that the model supports USB 2.0. I also asked a friend of mine who owns one and she said that it really does. However no matter what drivers and SonicStage versions I installed I couldn't reach the speed of even USB 1.1!!! I am sure that my USB port is 2.0 because when I insert a thumbdrive or my girlfriend's iPOD in it the transfer speed is really 2.0-like.

Then I thought that maybe my old NW-E103's driver could be the problem and that it thinks that i plugged-in a 107 for example. I compared the data transfer speeds of both drives and they were exactly the same :( .......

I talked to the kind people in the sony support site but they just told me to reinstall SonicStage which didn't work before or after.

Please somebody tell me what to try next and if there is a point at all...Or I will just have to wait half an hour every time I want to fill up the 1G 407.

6 answers to this question

Everywhere I looked they said that the model supports USB 2.0. I also asked a friend of mine who owns one and she said that it really does. However no matter what drivers and SonicStage versions I installed I couldn't reach the speed of even USB 1.1!!! I am sure that my USB port is 2.0 because when I insert a thumbdrive or my girlfriend's iPOD in it the transfer speed is really 2.0-like.

The E407 is USB 1.1 only, period. The word "compatible with USB2.0" just means that you can use a USB1.1 devices with USB2.0 ports, but the speed is still USB1.1.

The E407 is USB 1.1 only, period. The word "compatible with USB2.0" just means that you can use a USB1.1 devices with USB2.0 ports, but the speed is still USB1.1.

Does this mean that the E507 is also a USB 1.1 device? I ask this because a friend of mine owns a 507 and says that he can fill up the whole 1 GB for just around 10 mins.

I just talked to the people at sony.com and they were positive that USB 2.0 transfer speeds can be achieved....Are they really lying????? :blink:

Yes, they lied. If you check Sonystyle website frequently, you'll see errors in specifications very common. 1st line of tech support/customer service are usually not very knowledgable, and only depends on manuals/theiy own website for info.