PSP2 Confirmed by Sony

Rate this question

DSJ

Question

Its been a long time in the coming, but Sony has finally confirmed that a PSP2 is on the way.

See: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74069

What would you like to see on a PSP2?

Personally, I'd prefer it to be slimmer (which it is going to be), have better build quality (the buttons are a bit shaky) and have a mini hard drive of at least 8gb or an equivalent flash unit. A touchscreen for easier internet surfing and dedicated walkman buttons would be a bonus.

Other than that, I think it is brilliant and a redesign can only make a brilliant product even better.

14 answers to this question

Storage is key, at least 40 GB would be good. Maybe have a modular hard drive or flash unit assembly that makes it easy for people to get the exact amount of storage that they want.

Bluetooth would be good for linking with headsets and cell phones.

Finally, something that Sony should be doing already with the PSP: MORE AND BETTER GAMES!!

Edited by Akai Kenshi

I agree.

If it took SIM cards, that would be the icing on the cake. The iPhone would be crap alongside it. However, Sony may not go down this road lest it damage its Sony Ericsson phone business.

Having thought about it more today, I think the ability to connect it to a TV or PC monitor would help, as would a USB connection to connect a standard PS2 controller. So, you have the best of both worlds. Its a portable when it needs to be and can be a console and a bit more relaxing on the eyes when you are at home. It could be a PS1.5 of a sort (thats what I classify the PSP as anyway, as it is better than a PSOne, but not quite a PS2 - although the new Virtua Tennis 3 makes it look like a PS2.5!!!)

PDA functionality and the ability read common file types - word, etc - would be other extras that I'd pay that bit more for. But then who needs the Vaio.....

I agree.

If it took SIM cards, that would be the icing on the cake. The iPhone would be crap alongside it. However, Sony may not go down this road lest it damage its Sony Ericsson phone business.

Having thought about it more today, I think the ability to connect it to a TV or PC monitor would help, as would a USB connection to connect a standard PS2 controller. So, you have the best of both worlds. Its a portable when it needs to be and can be a console and a bit more relaxing on the eyes when you are at home. It could be a PS1.5 of a sort (thats what I classify the PSP as anyway, as it is better than a PSOne, but not quite a PS2 - although the new Virtua Tennis 3 makes it look like a PS2.5!!!)

PDA functionality and the ability read common file types - word, etc - would be other extras that I'd pay that bit more for. But then who needs the Vaio.....

Please re-read the Eurogamer article. It´s going to be a redesign along the lines what sony has done with the ps2. New, slimmer shell etc, not a groundbreaking shakeup of built in hardware or feature set. Sony needs the latter though imo.

Its been a long time in the coming, but Sony has finally confirmed that a PSP2 is on the way.

See: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74069

What would you like to see on a PSP2?

Personally, I'd prefer it to be slimmer (which it is going to be), have better build quality (the buttons are a bit shaky) and have a mini hard drive of at least 8gb or an equivalent flash unit. A touchscreen for easier internet surfing and dedicated walkman buttons would be a bonus.

Other than that, I think it is brilliant and a redesign can only make a brilliant product even better.

It's not really a confirmation...

Edited by ageha

Jeez, guys, no need to be so pedantic. I only used the PSP2 moniker as that is what most websites were referring to it as at the time. In retrospect, and having read more material on the matter, I understand that it is to be only a light redesign with perhaps a built-in hard drive or flash memory at the most.

Totally agree with comments though - games need to be cheaper and it should offer support for AA batteries out of the box. Nothing worse than being stranded without batteries during a bit of stealth action in MGS-POps. Incidentally, HMV in the UK do have an external power pack for the PSP that plugs into the mains connector and gives an extra 4 or 5 hours play via 4 x AA's. Around 8 hours combined play - or more if you carry AAs - would be good.

The most important thing for me, though, has to be loading times. They are silly at the mo, especially in Midnight Club. It puts you off playing it. Indeed, I havent played my PSP for more than an hour in total since April because of this. Its just too slow!

It would be more likely that Sony will find ways of extending the battery life, than add support of AA batteries. Not all disposable batteries keep a steady flow of power when discharging. An external battery back however would need extra circuity to ensure that the battery discharges evenly.

If the PSP supported cold swap for batteries would be the ultimate bonus. Just place the unit in sleep mode, change the batteries, and continue playing.

Improved processor speed and more internal memory would be good additions. Currently having a large MS DUO/DUO Pro memory card gives not additional advantage for game play, other than the ability to save some games.

Actually, now that I'm giving this some serious thought, what about full-screen anti-aliasing? Some of the jaggies in PSP games can be a bit tiring at times. Ok, its only a handheld (and a mighty fine one at that), but a bit of smoothing never hurt nobody. I guess playing the PC equivalents of some games makes you a bit fussy (how sweet is Test Drive Unlimited on the PC - when it doesnt crash, that is!)...

Agree - a faster processor would be a God-send!

It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft copes with jaggies when they come to release their Xbox handheld.

Ciao.