Question: Sony NW-E407 with MP3 File Manager

Rate this question

Ipecac

Question

Hey guys,

Finally found a forum that may be of some help. I bought this a year ago and worked great for pretty much a year. Then I went to transfer files on to it and they went on the player but wouldn't play. The weird thing was the older files I had on it would. It bothered me for awhile why any new files on put on it wouldnt play, but older ones would. So I reformatted - but now I couldnt get anything to play - all files and software - did the same as usual - transferred the mp3 over but again - cannot play - would always come up. I did everything I could to get this thing to work but to no avail. Finally sent it into sony - got it back last nite same &*^%*&^%*&^% thing.

Finally had a break thru - why I have no idea - but sonicstage actually works ( well as much as it can ) - now i can transfer files with sonic stage and - they actually play. I hate this thing and really rather not use it - I haven't looked in to it but if does lossless transfers I might be more willing to use it?

Now when I use MP3 file manger to transfer files over - it does - but again - cannot play. I was hoping that any has earlier versions of mp3 file manager 1 or 1.2 - I'm using version 2 - and I think that is where everything went wrong. I have looked around and cannot find earlier versions - every link I find I get Timed out or link is dead? So if anybody has earlier versions of file manager that could help me out - it would greatly appreciated. or maybe an alternative?

cheers....

5 answers to this question

You need the 2.0 version of the file manager for the e407. The older versions are made for other models. As for the MP3s - I sometimes get the <CANNOT PLAY> messege for some MP3s but that happens only with several files. Try to convert the MP3's to a higher bitrate. That usually works for me....Or you will have to use SonicStage...Didn't have any problems with it so far.

Hey guys,

Finally found a forum that may be of some help. I bought this a year ago and worked great for pretty much a year. Then I went to transfer files on to it and they went on the player but wouldn't play. The weird thing was the older files I had on it would.

Dude! I've got exactly the same problem! The thing with mine is, however that a while back my player (e507) was left in my pockets and went through the wash. :eek:

When it came out, I opened it up slightly to allow it to dry, recharged it, and to my releif it charged fine, and all the songs were still on the player and played fine.

I continued using the player for some time, keeping the same songs on the player, but recently I formatted, and put a whole bunch of new songs back on using MP3 File Manager- and NONE of them play!

They all give the "cannot play" message. I will try using sonicstage and let you know what happens.

OK. update:

out of sheer frustration I formatted the e507 to FAT using windows xp explorer.

halfway through the format I read another thread on this forum:

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3553

which describes basically turning the e407 into a shiny paperweight from doing the same thing.

I was worried, but let the format finish. Whe I unplugged the unit, the LCD screen said "Format Error". I formatted through the advanced menu, and then it displayed the sony walkman "blank track".

The unit was still blank in explorer - I tried installing MP3File Manager, but of course it did not work.

In the end I installed SonicStrage - transferred one track, and it played fine! It put all the missing folders back (NWWM, OMGAUDIO) and the track played OK.

I then copied a backup copy of MP3 File Manager back onto the unit, and it ran OK, displaying the tracks correctly etc. I uploaded one track to the 507 using MP3FM, but again.. "Cannot Play".

I deleted the MP3FM folder and ran the original installation program, but it could not detect the e507 to install the program. Weird.

Well, at least I can still use sonicstage for the time being - but I'd really like to work this out!