More NW-A800 Reviews

Rate this topic

My impression after using the NW-A808 for several weeks is that it is designed to be an audio player. The NW-A800 uses two types of menus, a hierarchical and pop up menu, for operating the NW-A800. Traversing these menus are done by using the 5-way, back/home and option buttons. This system may not seem as intuitive as it should be, but does work quite well.

Sony has designed the NW-A800 as a music player. Using the option button will allow you to quickly return the music screen. You select how you play your music by using playlist, intelligent shuffle, and other options. A playback range can be defined by selecting an artist from a specific album, or year. With the selected range it is possible shuffle only songs in that range, which can not be done with the NW-S700. Additionally, you can play all your songs.

Creating playlist are the quickest way of copy audio content to your player. Playlist can be created on the NW-A800 quickly using bookmarks without interrupting the audio playback. However, there are only 5 bookmarks that can hold upto 100 songs/audio files. SonicStage can transfer bookmarks created on the NW-A800 back to my library and renamed in my library.

Many of the features that makes the NW-A800 an excellent player who be missing if it allowed drag-and-drop. When the player is connected to SonicStage, the NW-A800 play history is updated and any songs placed in the trash bin are deleted from the NW-A800.

As a music player the NW-A800 excellent, and SonicStage enhances this. The sound quality is also excellent.

There are many more features that this player has. Any questions about this player will be welcomed.

There are more reviews of the NW-A800 by both Reg Hardware and TrustedReview.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/04/12/review_sony_nw-a800/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/r...kman-NW-A805/p1

Both reviews give the NW-A800 high marks for sound quality.

well,

I have a question that's on my mind since the release of this NW-A80x.

I see that you own a NW-S706 too. How does the soundquality on the NW-A80x compare to that of the NW-S70x?

I'm really curious about this.

Does NW-A80x have Clearbass, Clearstereo, VPT, Dynamic normalizer??

thanks in advance!!

greetz

well,

I have a question that's on my mind since the release of this NW-A80x.

I see that you own a NW-S706 too. How does the soundquality on the NW-A80x compare to that of the NW-S70x?

I'm really curious about this.

Does NW-A80x have Clearbass, Clearstereo, VPT, Dynamic normalizer??

thanks in advance!!

greetz

First, the NW-S700 series and NW-A800 series are both excellent players. The sound on the NW-A808 seems to be clearer and crisper than the NW-S706. This is with DSEE off on the NW-A808, and the Noise Cancellation on in a quite environment.

To help improve the sound quality the NW-A800 series has Clear Stereo, Dynamic Normalizer, Clear Bass and DSEE.

from the pictures, it would appear that the A800 comes with...the EX85 canalphone?

MDR-EX82 13.5mm headphones supplied with the NW-A800 series, which makes this player a very good deal.

Some additional notes about the NW-A800 series.

The NW-A800 series allow the user to turn the player on by pressing any button. This however does not start playback, but returns to the last content played. Also, the unit can be forced of with the power off button.

The NW-A800 series uses a circular list. While proceeding down a list item or a menu when the last item on the list is reached then the NW-A800 will go to the first item. This also works in reverse when proceeding up the list or menu. It is also possible to jump up or down a list or menu for faster access. This concept is so simple it is surprising that other media players have not implemented this.

Nice Review. What carrying case do you have, and does it come with one? Also what accessories come with this baby?

Thank GQ Smooth. Sony provides headphone (MDR-EX082) with extension cable, USB-WMPORT and stand. The stand is used for connecting it to some models of Sony's stereos.

Sony also provides SonicStage and Image Converter. Image Converter is used transfer pictures and videos to the NW-A800 series Walkman. Image Convert has a feature for subscribing to RSS channels, so that you can download video podcast. Additionally, SonicStage allow you to import audio podcast. If the MP3 files are correctly defined by the author all information (title, release year, genre) and album are will appear in SonicStage.

Unfortunately, fortunately, the NW-A800 series does not come with a case. Sony however has three types of cases that can be purchased (silicon case, plastic case, and leather case). The leather case has a flap that protects the screen, and prevents accidental operation. I am using the leather case. Getting one would be good insurance for protecting the NW-A800.

A review of SonicStage and Image Converter should be coming soon.

Some additional notes about the NW-A800 series.

The NW-A800 series allow the user to turn the player on by pressing any button. This however does not start playback, but returns to the last content played. Also, the unit can be forced of with the power off button.

The NW-A800 series uses a circular list. While proceeding down a list item or a menu when the last item on the list is reached then the NW-A800 will go to the first item. This also works in reverse when proceeding up the list or menu. It is also possible to jump up or down a list or menu for faster access. This concept is so simple it is surprising that other media players have not implemented this.

Thank GQ Smooth. Sony provides headphone (MDR-EX082) with extension cable, USB-WMPORT and stand. The stand is used for connecting it to some models of Sony's stereos.

Sony also provides SonicStage and Image Converter. Image Converter is used transfer pictures and videos to the NW-A800 series Walkman. Image Convert has a feature for subscribing to RSS channels, so that you can download video podcast. Additionally, SonicStage allow you to import audio podcast. If the MP3 files are correctly defined by the author all information (title, release year, genre) and album are will appear in SonicStage.

Unfortunately, fortunately, the NW-A800 series does not come with a case. Sony however has three types of cases that can be purchased (silicon case, plastic case, and leather case). The leather case has a flap that protects the screen, and prevents accidental operation. I am using the leather case. Getting one would be good insurance for protecting the NW-A800.

A review of SonicStage and Image Converter should be coming soon.

I look forward to that. Another question. I know that is doesn't come with a remote, but I wondered if anyone had tried it with an old Sony one. I have the RM-MC40ELK, which, once purchased, I will have a go with. I'm after the 4GB, either in Blue or Black. Not to fussed about video playback, but wouldn't mind podcasts. Can you purchase podcasts in SS?

Edited by GQ Smooth

I look forward to that. Another question. I know that is doesn't come with a remote, but I wondered if anyone had tried it with an old Sony one. I have the RM-MC40ELK, which, once purchased, I will have a go with. I'm after the 4GB, either in Blue or Black. Not to fussed about video playback, but wouldn't mind podcasts. Can you purchase podcasts in SS?

Hi GQ Smooth, no remote socket on this model I'm afraid. Probably wouldn't need one as the unit is quite small and it would be a shame to hide that great colour screen away. Let us know what you think of it when you get it. :)

Edited by ANGRYBADGER

Hi GQ Smooth, no remote socket on this model I'm afraid. Probably wouldn't need one as the unit is quite small and it would be a shame to hide that great colour screen away. Let us know what you think of it when you get it. :)

Will do. Just getting the funds together to buy one. Do you know if their are other reviews of this product on ATRAClife?

My impression after using the NW-A808 for several weeks is that it is designed to be an audio player. The NW-A800 uses two types of menus, a hierarchical and pop up menu, for operating the NW-A800. Traversing these menus are done by using the 5-way, back/home and option buttons. This system may not seem as intuitive as it should be, but does work quite well.

Sony has designed the NW-A800 as a music player. Using the option button will allow you to quickly return the music screen. You select how you play your music by using playlist, intelligent shuffle, and other options. A playback range can be defined by selecting an artist from a specific album, or year. With the selected range it is possible shuffle only songs in that range, which can not be done with the NW-S700. Additionally, you can play all your songs.

Creating playlist are the quickest way of copy audio content to your player. Playlist can be created on the NW-A800 quickly using bookmarks without interrupting the audio playback. However, there are only 5 bookmarks that can hold upto 100 songs/audio files. SonicStage can transfer bookmarks created on the NW-A800 back to my library and renamed in my library.

Many of the features that makes the NW-A800 an excellent player who be missing if it allowed drag-and-drop. When the player is connected to SonicStage, the NW-A800 play history is updated and any songs placed in the trash bin are deleted from the NW-A800.

As a music player the NW-A800 excellent, and SonicStage enhances this. The sound quality is also excellent.

There are many more features that this player has. Any questions about this player will be welcomed.

There are more reviews of the NW-A800 by both Reg Hardware and TrustedReview.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/04/12/review_sony_nw-a800/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/r...kman-NW-A805/p1

Both reviews give the NW-A800 high marks for sound quality.

Will do. Just getting the funds together to buy one. Do you know if their are other reviews of this product on ATRAClife?

I don't know if you saw the links Shinji Ikeda kindly provided in his original post? I have quoted his post with the links. Hope it helps. Also it has been reviewed in the blog. You can find it if you go back a few pages. :)

The NW-A800 does not have a port for a remote. The NW-A800 series however does have a WM-PORT that allow the attachment to other equipment such as a Sony Stereo system and BlueTooth headphones.

SonicStage depending on your region allow you to connect to Connect, Sony's online store. Connect sells music and allow you to listen to 'Radio'. So, it is currently not possible to subscribe to or purchase podcasts though SonicStage.

More reviews/previews

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3332

Here is Lyris Lite Review

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?...3332&st=30#

http://www.lyris-lite.net/2007/03/sony_nwa...go_get_one.html

I don't know if you saw the links Shinji Ikeda kindly provided in his original post? I have quoted his post with the links. Hope it helps. Also it has been reviewed in the blog. You can find it if you go back a few pages. :)

Yes thanks I did read these links, just wondered, as the post title was More reviews, if i had missed some, some where. I will check out the Blog. Thanks again

The NW-A800 does not have a port for a remote. The NW-A800 series however does have a WM-PORT that allow the attachment to other equipment such as a Sony Stereo system and BlueTooth headphones.

SonicStage depending on your region allow you to connect to Connect, Sony's online store. Connect sells music and allow you to listen to 'Radio'. So, it is currently not possible to subscribe to or purchase podcasts though SonicStage.

More reviews/previews

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3332

Here is Lyris Lite Review

http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?...3332&st=30#

http://www.lyris-lite.net/2007/03/sony_nwa...go_get_one.html

Thanks again. I'll look these up

Can you not subscribe to RSS feeds through Image Converter? Or is that only 'vodcasts' that works with - i.e. Ricky Gervais' video podcast? I had assumed that's how things work.

Also, all the podcasts I listen to are free - am I missing something?

-Nav

With subscription, it's just means that any new podcasts are downloaded automatically. They are still free. I know through itunes, i can do this, but not sure if I can download a podcast in itunes, and then transfer to SS.

Yeah, you can download a podcast in iTunes and transfer to SS - it's just an MP3 right? I was curious as to whether or not Image Converter allowed you to also subscribe to podcasts using the rss/xml feed that most podcasts use. I know it can do this with video rss feeds, I just wanted to clarify that it does the same for audio.

-Nav

Can you not subscribe to RSS feeds through Image Converter? Or is that only 'vodcasts' that works with - i.e. Ricky Gervais' video podcast? I had assumed that's how things work.

Also, all the podcasts I listen to are free - am I missing something?

-Nav

Yes, it is possible to subscribe to RSS feeds through Image Converter. However they can only be video casts Image Converter, can be imported. Image Converter will present an error message stating that the content is not a video (content can not be download). I have not encounter any subscription based podcasts.

With SonicStage the audiocast need to be downloaded then imported into SonicStage.

Thanks again. I'll look these up

With subscription, it's just means that any new podcasts are downloaded automatically. They are still free. I know through itunes, i can do this, but not sure if I can download a podcast in itunes, and then transfer to SS.

Exporting podcast from iTunes to SonicStage should work if it is possible to export MP3 files.

GQ Smooth is this possible, since I will starting looking for a RSS downloader and would like to consider all products.

Yes, it is possible to subscribe to RSS feeds through Image Converter. However they can only be video casts Image Converter, can be imported. Image Converter will present an error message stating that the content is not a video (content can not be download). I have not encounter any subscription based podcasts.

With SonicStage the audiocast need to be downloaded then imported into SonicStage.

Exporting podcast from iTunes to SonicStage should work if it is possible to export MP3 files.

GQ Smooth is this possible, since I will starting looking for a RSS downloader and would like to consider all products.

yes i think it does. What I have done is too import into SS,as a folder. ( I have done this wth regard to getting toons fron itunes to SS) Lovely :)

Hi Shinji,

I know that you wrote briefly about the sound difference between NW-A800 and NW-S700F. But as for what I know, you used two different headphones for two devices. If you are not busy, could you try again two players with same headphone (one that is supplied from NW-A800). Because, by using different headphones, it adds another factor that contributes for the sound difference.

Thank you.

Oh, I had another question. Is it possible to extract PV (from DVD) by using ImageConverter 3? Because I have alot of PVs from singles and limited version album CDs I collected so far, and it would be very nice to watch PVs on NW-A800 with superb sound quality.

Thank you, again.

Edited by Zizone

Hi Shinji,

I know that you wrote briefly about the sound difference between NW-A800 and NW-S700F. But as for what I know, you used two different headphones for two devices. If you are not busy, could you try again two players with same headphone (one that is supplied from NW-A800). Because, by using different headphones, it adds another factor that contributes for the sound difference.

Thank you.

Oh, I had another question. Is it possible to extract PV (from DVD) by using ImageConverter 3? Because I have alot of PVs from singles and limited version album CDs I collected so far, and it would be very nice to watch PVs on NW-A800 with superb sound quality.

Thank you, again.

Image Convert is Sony's software. Image Convert only works with AVI, MPEG, QuickTime or Windows Media(WMV) files. You have to convert the you video files one of these format before importing into Image Convert. Yes, this is a long process.

Ziznone, I will revisit my tests with the headphones.

Edited by Shinji Ikeda

Image Convert is Sony's software. Image Convert only works with AVI, MPEG, QuickTime or Windows Media(WMV) files. You have to convert the you video files one of these format before importing into Image Convert. Yes, this is a long process.

Ziznone, I will revisit my tests with the headphones.

Thanks alot.

Question. The video files ripped from DVDs will have a .vob extension but in fact is of MPEG-2 type. Can we simply rename the extension to .mpg and imported to Image Convert? Or, it only supports MPEG-1? Also, does it support common codecs like DivX?

Question. The video files ripped from DVDs will have a .vob extension but in fact is of MPEG-2 type. Can we simply rename the extension to .mpg and imported to Image Convert? Or, it only supports MPEG-1? Also, does it support common codecs like DivX?

Yes, you can simply rename the extension .VOB to .MPG (this is possible since Image Converter 2 Plus). It works most of the time but you may encounter audio sync issue.

Yes, you can simply rename the extension .VOB to .MPG (this is possible since Image Converter 2 Plus). It works most of the time but you may encounter audio sync issue.

Thus Ishiyoshi,

PSP Video 9 is not need, since Image Converter converts files to both H.264/MPEG4 AVC Main and Baseline profiles. Is this correct, Ishiyoshi?

Thanks and that sounds rather appealing to me as I had quite a library of music DVDs and at present I ripped the audio from DVD and transferred to my E005/MD for portable listening. Just wondered how much space it will occupy for say a one hour concert. Audio sync issue probably not too much concern due to the small screen size (unless it is way off).

Oh, how about avi files encoded with say divx?

Thus Ishiyoshi,

PSP Video 9 is not need, since Image Converter converts files to both H.264/MPEG4 AVC Main and Baseline profiles. Is this correct, Ishiyoshi?

Yes, Image Converter does convert .VOB files that were renamed as .MPG directly to AVC format. However, I would still keep PSP Video 9 for conversion of other formats to AVC.

Hi,

I would like to know if the A800 displays of language characters (Chinese Traditional or Simplified) within the MP3 files and not the UI? I had a NW-MS90D in the past and it doesn't display any languages at all besides from English.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks alot.

Zizone,

The sound difference between the NW-S700 and NW-A800 series is very insignificant. The NW-S700's noise cancellation feature does exactly what it is suppose to do at a reasonable price. The design of the headphones create some addition noise. This has no relationship with the player, or the microphone in the case of the NC21 headphones. I use both the NW-A800 and NW-S700 everyday. The design of both units have their advantages, and are utilized differently. Only when comparing the sound is the difference is notice noticed.

Hi,

I would like to know if the A800 displays of language characters (Chinese Traditional or Simplified) within the MP3 files and not the UI? I had a NW-MS90D in the past and it doesn't display any languages at all besides from English.

Cheers

Tony

The NW-A800 displays both language characters. You need either Microsoft AppLocale or another computer. With AppLocale the target language is selected. SonicStage does not support UniCode or similar technology. However the NW-A800 does. Using the language setting on your computer it is possible to install SonicStage on that computer in the target language, without the need for Microsoft AppLocale. To get full support in Chinese a different computer is required.

Hi,

Cheers

Tony

You need not worry about 漢字, since the player displays Japanese... though I am not sure about some characters, since some are simplified in China and some are different in Japan or Korea though they all have same meaning... But, if you follow Shinji's advice, I don't think you will have a problem.

I think the device itself should have no problem in displaying Chinese charactersn, but it is Sonicstage which might cause some problems.

The NW-A800 and other DAPs are just a devices, and work just like a computer. Although the menu can be changed on the NW-A800 to another language, SonicStage controls the languages displayed. Selecting the language the menus will be displayed in has not effect on the information displayed for the song. There is absolutely no difference between a Japanese NW-A800 or a Korean or English version. What is different is the version of SonicStage. SonicStage controls what languages can be displayed on the NW-A800.

Your Chinese friend has a NW-A800 and you nice how intelligent the Chinese songs and artists are arranged. Then you realize that the Chinese songs and artists are not arranged on your NW-A800. They are all clumped under etc.. There are tricks that can be used, but they are only tricks.

These same problems exist under Windows. Sony should make SonicStage bilingual, even if it is just a niche market. English may be the dominant language, but most English speakers speak English as a second language.

>> Oh, how about avi files encoded with say divx?

> You can definitely convert AVI files (with DivX Video Compression) to AVC format with Image Converter.

You sure about that? As I posted on another forum here, attempts with Image Converter to transfer various DivX files unfortunately result in the file being upside down and mirrored left to right :-(.

Cheers,

spann

• 3 months later...

i'm a new user of NW-A808

i want to know if i can change the music title with chinese chararcters???

how???

thanks

You need to use a program call Microsoft Applocale. You will be required to run SonicStage through this program. There is alot of help full information on this sight on how to use it. A word of advice, when using AppLocale you must connect the NW-A808 then execute Applocale. You may require re-importing you tracks, but I doubt this.

i'm a new user of NW-A808

i want to know if i can change the music title with chinese chararcters???

how???

thanks

You need to use a program call Microsoft Applocale. You will be required to run SonicStage through this program. There is alot of help full information on this sight on how to use it. A word of advice, when using AppLocale you must connect the NW-A808 then execute Applocale. You may require re-importing you tracks, but I doubt this.

thx for your guide

i have another question

i bought this player from the display. so they've already used it for demo.

the problem is in the home menu there are a word demo instead of home in the upper screen.

and in the setting format and reset all setting option cannot be selected.

do you know how to solve it??to change it to home again.

i just want to know

thx

Edited by winz_boy

thx for tour guide

i have another question

i bought this player from the display. so they've already used it for demo.

the problem is in the home menu there are a word demo instead of home in the upper screen.

and in the setting format and reset all setting option cannot be selected.

do you know how to solve it??to change it to home again.

i just want to know

thx

try to reinitialise the player by pressing the little reset button with a pin or such.

if that won´t do the trick install the latest firmware.

You sure about that? As I posted on another forum here, attempts with Image Converter to transfer various DivX files unfortunately result in the file being upside down and mirrored left to right :-(.

I had the same problem and it was the codecs that were messed up. I reinstalled the divx codec and that solved the problem.