OLED problems anybody?

Rate this question

chupacabra314

Question

Hi again everybody...

Ever since buying my e407, after coming across several publications about the short lifespan of OLED-technology displays, I kinda freaked out and kept watching my display expecting it to turn green or something :lol:

So I wonder when and if it is going to screw up...

I ask all you who have had OLED display players for a long time to share your experience with these displays...

11 answers to this question

I think that the problems with OLED are only related to OLED TVs (which is why you can't buy any yet). The blue component of these seems to fail quickly.

Since the OLEDs in the players are monochrome (right?), I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Well, NW-S600, NW-S700 and new NW-E010 series are not monochrome. These devices have color OLEDs. When people write about lifespan of OLED (OEL), they are very ambiguous; probably, most of those who write about OLEDs are not experts on this type of display. When they say the OLED has short lifespan, they are comparing to LCDs, though they don't give specific lifespans of either displays. Anyways, current OLED's lifespan is indeed shorter than LCD's; however, for the purpose of DAP uses, it shouldn't really be concern, since the display is not turned on all the time compared to TVs usage time.

It seems like the lifespan of OLED have been increased, considering the fact that Sony is bringing 11 inch OLED TV by the end of this year or early next year (they have mentioned bigger size OLED TV as well); also, Toshiba and Matsushita (Panasonic) are working together as well.

Edited by Zizone

I think that the problems with OLED are only related to OLED TVs (which is why you can't buy any yet). The blue component of these seems to fail quickly.

Since the OLEDs in the players are monochrome (right?), I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I would have to agree with lyris. The display on the NW-E400 series is a monochrome green. My is as bright as the first day I bought it. Unfortunately, .5 GB is not enough to store my audio files even at the lowest bit rate.

Zizone thanks for the update.

Zizone thanks for the update.

No problem^^b

I think read somewhere that Sony and Toyota are going to joint venture in OLED just like how Sony and Samsung worked together for LCDs. I was wondering, does Toyota have any electronic department?

Toshiba and Matsushita are also working together then is Sharp going to work alone? I was just wondering about this lately... I don't really think Sharp is going to work with any foreign company like Samsung though... Considering the fact that Sony had alot of pressure from the Japanese government for working with Samsung... though it worked great for Sony for re-taking #1 spot in TV market. This is just my random thought lately... Anyone who has more information, please share with me.

Thank you.

Edited by Zizone

I'm still using my A608 from last year and out of the 4 times I've had to send mine back for repair, 2 of them were due to the OLED display completely disappearing. It didn't grow dimmer as time passed, it just stopped displaying one day. Now, my warranty is over and it's happened a 3rd time and I'm stuck with a player that has no display, I can't even tell visually when the thing is low battery/fully charged. Maybe mine is just an isolated case :sad: .

Hope u have better luck than me!

I'm still using my A608 from last year and out of the 4 times I've had to send mine back for repair, 2 of them were due to the OLED display completely disappearing. It didn't grow dimmer as time passed, it just stopped displaying one day. Now, my warranty is over and it's happened a 3rd time and I'm stuck with a player that has no display, I can't even tell visually when the thing is low battery/fully charged. Maybe mine is just an isolated case :sad: .

Hope u have better luck than me!

Perhaps the problem is not in the OLED technology itself but somewhere on the board...

Btw exept for the memory and color are there any other differences between the A608 and the E50x?

Perhaps the problem is not in the OLED technology itself but somewhere on the board...

Btw exept for the memory and color are there any other differences between the A608 and the E50x?

I am pretty sure that they both use different processors, but I could not notice any sound quality difference between them. You can maybe check those japanse/chinese sites where they take apart the device and have dozens of high res photos of all the insides up close.

One month ago, I had the same problem .. suddenly the screen went dead! ..

I just pressed the small reset (hole) on the back!! The screen came back to normal state!

(note that the reset does not affect anything..)

Chris

I am pretty sure that they both use different processors, but I could not notice any sound quality difference between them. You can maybe check those japanse/chinese sites where they take apart the device and have dozens of high res photos of all the insides up close.

Thanks! But I was just interested in the feauters...As long as the sound quality is the same I don't care about the processor... :)