NW-E016

Rate this topic

NW-E016%20with%20samurai.jpg

NW-E016%20close%20up.jpg

NW-E016%20cap%20off.jpg

NW-E016%20backside.jpg

NW-E016%20album%20jacket%20off.jpg

NW-E016%20size%20comparison%20with%20min

It's a Sony so the sound is fine. I'm a minidisc user and got this to give it a try. I like the size; like being plugged into a remote without having the MD player attached to that. The navigation is simple and direct USB hookup makes this easier than requiring a cable or cradle. A couple of times when I've been out, I've needed to recharge so I stepped into a department store I frequent and plugged into a computer for a few minutes to get the quick charge.

The info display is different than I'm accustomed to; it doesn't list track number and when transfering a single via SS, the file always gets put into a folder. I 'spose it isn't a big deal, just that I'm not use to it. The jacket display isn't important to me as it is quite small but if it is useful for others then cheers to them. Probably like anyone who uses something with a fixed memory size; I just wish it were larger.

• 2 weeks later...

The FM-equipped model isn't available yet and it will only be in the 2GB (NW-E015) version. You probably wouldn't want to import that model from Japan as it will likely be for Japan's FM band frequency of 76~90Mhz rather than world-band. I don't know if they will be going stateside; aren't they still trying to unload the leftover nw-e00 line there?

If you are wanting one from Japan, you can order them at NW-E016.info and from ebay vendors.

Edited by bland10000

The FM-equipped model isn't available yet and it will only be in the 2GB (NW-E015) version. You probably wouldn't want to import that model from Japan as it will likely be for Japan's FM band frequency of 76~90Mhz rather than world-band. I don't know if they will be going stateside; aren't they still trying to unload the leftover nw-e00 line there?

If you are wanting one from Japan, you can order them at NW-E016.info.

Hello and thank you for the short review. I'm actually interested in the E016. I'm kind of novice at this but I got to ask you 3 questions:

1. Did you ordered your unit from that page?

2. If yes, do the unit's default language is English even if you get the unit from Japan?

3. Which earbuds (or headphones) do these players come with?

Thanks a lot! :)

2. The units default language is English...I was expecting Japanese and then to have to switch over like we do with minidisc units.

3. All the players in this series come with the mdr-ex90sl canalphones. The black and violet players come with black-bodied 90's and the pink, gold, and blue players come with white-bodied canalphones.

1. That page is me, it is the store for my blog.

For a more thorough examination of the player read here.

Edited by bland10000

2. The units default language is English...I was expecting Japanese and then to have to switch over like we do with minidisc units.

3. All the players in this series come with the mdr-ex90sl canalphones. The black and violet players come with black-bodied 90's and the pink, gold, and blue players come with white-bodied canalphones.

1. That page is me, it is the store for my blog.

For a more thorough examination of the player read here.

Hey thanks for the quick reply. From what I can see, the A80x series have the MDR-EX082 headphones while these have the EX090 ones hmm...interesting. Oh yeah I already read the review over at the main page, pretty cool as it has every sound feature the A80x series have except for the DSEE feature which I don't need. So my mind is set for the E016 black one. Thanks a lot man!

P.S: About the store and the main page, I sort of figured it was all about you because of the similar pictures and writing style lol.

on the Sonystyle website in my country, the E01x is pictured with crappy earphones insted of the Ex90. I saw on Sony Japan that those players do indeed come with the EX90.

Here, the 1gb E013 is cheaper than the EX90. So i dont think it's likely that Sony'd bundle those earphones.

Hey bland quick question: do you know if this player natively supports Atrac Advanced Lossless? I read you normally use 352 kbps bit rate but I just want to know which file the player gets: the lossy or the lossless file?

Tech, are they offering all the colors at your SonyStyle? I just checked Sony UK and they aren't offering all colors on all models...'spose market research tells 'em certain colors won't sell in certain areas.

not all colours are available. For instance, we do not have the gold 2gb version.

I don't see any mention of atrac lossless on the Sony homepage nor in the booklets that came in the box. My 352 comes from copying in wav then transferring over in 352; never had tried the lossless function.

I see, so the only ones supporting that one are the S70x and A80x series. Nonetheless I'm gonna try it once I get mine, thanks for everything.

yes I have the FM one. The sound qualities as good as it goes and I believe reception has something to do with the earphones? I'm not too sure but sometimes I get noise in my reception but then I tie up my earphones at the end near the player to make it shorter.

Well, in otherwords, it's pretty alright for me. The reception should be fine most of the time.

hi, bland10000,a net-pal from横浜、 Thanks for sharing your pics.Nice walkman and pictures.

I like the size and the color of the walkman.And I was wondering that if you have compare this walkman with S600series,and if you do,are there any difference between them when sounding with their supplied headphone MDR-EX082 relating to sound quality?

Are the colors for the 4GB model in your store correct? I ask because on EBay the Japanese models have violet instead of blue for the 4GB model. I would like a 4GB blue if it was available =)

Clarification: The blue is actually violet. This is the name Sony has given to it that colour. It is darker than you would expect, but is suppose to be a very popular colour.

Violet NW-E016

The colour that you see on your computer screen is not the true colour. The NW-A800 series in Japan come in boxes that have a violet at its base. This is the closest shade of blue that matches the colour of the violet NW-E010 series. My suggestion is to go to your local Sony Walkman reseller, and get a look at the box the NW-A800 comes in. You can also look at the box for the NW-S600/S700 series, but the boxes are shinier. If the blue/purple on the box appeals to you then this is the colour that will get when you order the violet NW-E016.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I'm new to this site & really interested in getting myself a mp3 player. Been looking around but finally decide to go SONY. iPOD is too expensive for my budget but I believe the sound wouldn't be as good as SONY (though I haven't try listening to the SQ of SONY & iPOD before).

What made decide to go for SONY is because I used to own WALKMAN before & secondly the advertised battery life. But can it really last for 30hrs for playback? Is there a catch like u need to playback at certain settings? Also, is it true that a 3 min charge can last for 3hrs?!

I'm thinking very hard which to choose: the NW-E015F, the NW-E005F or the NW-A608. I know both the E005 & A608 are old models but I do see some places selling them at a discount.

The E015f has new improved sound (as in their advert) but there seem to be a lot of happy E005 users & all are very satisfied with the SQ. How about the SQ for the E015?

Does anyone have any comment on the A608? I know it's old as well but what about the SQ? Like the design. E015 looks more like a lipstick.

Any recommendations? :wave:

Kevio,

Welcome. The sound quality of the NW-A608 should be good. However the newer models NW-005F and NW-015F both support MP3, ATRAC, WMA, AAC, L-PCM file formats.

My recommendation would be the NW-005F since it is a more recent model, and from what I have read the sound quality is quite decent. As you have noticed that it is currently discounted, and since your on a budget it would be a good purchase.

NW-00x series have very noticable hiss. However, you might find on sale quite cheap. 1 biggest annoyance is that the unit lost resume position after charging with an AC adaptor.

NW-00x series have very noticable hiss. However, you might find on sale quite cheap. 1 biggest annoyance is that the unit lost resume position after charging with an AC adaptor.

So true, even more so than the S70x series which is leagues better sound-wise in my opinion.