NW-E015 UK Review

Rate this question

doomlordis

Question

Ok so i had asked about euro volume limits on these players ..... no answer.

So i bought one.

Quick Impressions :

Build is solid , no buttons on front so no dust issues!

NO HISS AT ALL!!! tested with Ksc75, ed21lp and e2cs , none, not a jot - well done Sony.

NO EURO VOLUME LIMITS!!! This is as loud as my e005 at full when set to 20/30 - result, it can drive ksc75s no problem, my e005 struggled.

Sound quality is excellent , i have tested against my Iaudio X5 , i swear they are evenly matched.

Navigation is a little slow , scrolling through tracks could be faster.

The jacket search is cool , as well as seeing the covers it plays random parts of tracks and not from the start of the track , it can be halfway through, makes identifying the artist easier.

The screen is bright and clear , not an oled but nice all the same.

Its great value , my 2gb (without radio) cost £65 , a bargain in my eyes.

post-6863-1127294311_thumb.jpg

post-6863-1127294294_thumb.jpg

post-6863-1127294340_thumb.jpg

post-6863-1127294325_thumb.jpg

29 answers to this question

Had a bit longer with it now, this is a great release from Sony , its sound quality is excellent, its cheap and doesnt look cheap at all. The menu system is a little slow to scroll but thats the only negative i can really find.

The clear audio options are hit and miss, the L/R seperation option doesnt to these ears make any difference at all but the clear bass option is very good increasing the warmth of the tracks without distortion.

The screen is easily readable outside and in direct sunlight, probably due to LCD rather than OLED.

I like it so much i may upgrade to E016F when its available here!

Guest Stuge

The menu system is a little slow to scroll but thats the only negative i can really find.

Thanks for the review .So have you used S7xx series ? It is also affected by the same problem .

Glad t hear there doesn't seem to be any Euro-capping. I just got an S705 & I love it, no hint of Euro-capping. I really, really hope Sony have abandoned that.

Is the body on this plastic or is there some metal?

The screen is easily readable outside and in direct sunlight, probably due to LCD rather than OLED.

I like it so much i may upgrade to E016F when its available here!

NW-E010 series uses OLED not LCD. Anyways, it's good to hear the player is nice and you like it :)

This player looks really good in black and I really like Sony's stick model players like E and S series.

Thanks for the review.

Edited by Zizone

Its LCD im afraid...

"The 3 line colour LCD display makes navigating the menu a breeze. Album jackets are displayed on the colour screen or you can search by artist, album, genre or recent transfer. Fine tune the music experience with the 5 Band equalizer (Heavy/Pop/Jazz/Unique/Custom)"

From Sonys desription.

Its LCD im afraid...

"The 3 line colour LCD display makes navigating the menu a breeze. Album jackets are displayed on the colour screen or you can search by artist, album, genre or recent transfer. Fine tune the music experience with the 5 Band equalizer (Heavy/Pop/Jazz/Unique/Custom)"

From Sonys desription.

Following two sites claim that NW-E010 series uses OLED/OEL.

SONY UK

ATRACLIFE

That's odd though... Because many sites says NW-E010 series uses OLED/OEL while some others say it uses LCD... Is it possible some sites just confuse the display is LCD because it is color? Because many thinks if the display is color then it has to be LCD while it does not have to be. Anyways, I always thought NW-E010 series uses same display as NW-S700 series.

But then Sony Canada and Sony Hong Kong says it uses LCD while Sony UK says it's OLED/OEL...

Sony needs to work on their product information in all regions. Sony USA still says that NW-S700 series has rotating display...

I can't believe people for Sony are getting paid for their false work.

By looking at your first picture, your player displaying time, it seems like LCD. Because the all the display seems to be lighted; if the display were OLED then only the numbers would light up and not the surrounding (since LCD uses backlight while OLED/OEL does not use backlight).

Bottom line, Sony needs to get their work together.

Edited by Zizone

Weird, looking at it i think its an lcd. Weird they cant get it right!

I love this player , i performed an experiment yesterday and the result was surprising. Most of my music is 320kbps Lame MP3 , so i cant get a lot on a 2gb player, yesterday i converted my tunes on transfer to Atrac3+ 96kbps, wasnt expecting to find it acceptable but it is fine for portable use!!!

Through my KSC75s the difference is very hard to spot on some tunes whilst others it is more noticable, mainly a slight loss of detail and minor pre-echo.

I will be using 96kbps from now on , i tried 64kbps but the pre-echo is much more noticable, i now get about 720 songs on the player.

Weird, looking at it i think its an lcd. Weird they cant get it right!

I love this player , i performed an experiment yesterday and the result was surprising. Most of my music is 320kbps Lame MP3 , so i cant get a lot on a 2gb player, yesterday i converted my tunes on transfer to Atrac3+ 96kbps, wasnt expecting to find it acceptable but it is fine for portable use!!!

Through my KSC75s the difference is very hard to spot on some tunes whilst others it is more noticable, mainly a slight loss of detail and minor pre-echo.

I will be using 96kbps from now on , i tried 64kbps but the pre-echo is much more noticable, i now get about 720 songs on the player.

My head is about to explode :blink: .

I also thought that the display on the NW-E010 series was OLEC. I decided to do some digging because of the conflicting information. I was trying to see the similarities between LCD and OLEC. On the SonyStyle Japan site the display for the NW-E010 series is listed as have a colour LCD [えきしょう 液晶~ekishyou]. The Display is indeed a colour LCD display and not OLEC.

Sony like many manufacturers make some changes to the specification on new products they are releasing. It can be frustrating in a wired world, when old information about a product.

It is very suprising the Sony place a LCD in a NW-E series Walkman, but the NW-S700/S600 series seem to have longer battery life.

So it seems that Sony is serious about re-establishing the Walkman brand with there current line of Network Walkman.

Doomlordis,

Did Sony include a contrast or brightness setting on your new Walkman? Oh-ya, like the review.

It has settings for brightness and contrast, i have to say that the screen , oled or not is very good.

I had a listen to a s705 today , i was offered it for £60 , i tried it with my ksc75s and the included noise cancelling phones, i hate to say it but i detected some hiss with or without noise cancelling and the E series is a little louder - i didnt buy it.

When using MDR-NC022 headphone, I also find hiss whether NC feature is on or off; however, I find that hiss is reduced with other headphones like MDR-EX90SL though the hiss is still there but reduced. It is really good to hear that NW-E010 series does not have much hiss as NW-S700 series. I really hope that Sony will fix this issue in their S series.

NC is very useful feature though... especially if you travel a lot via plane. Oh and I like Sony's Jog Shuffle which I hope they will implement on their E series again and keep it on S series as well. It is really useful and easy to use.

Edited by Zizone

Dear Doomlordis,

How good clear bass is if you compare with usual mega bass ?

Or if you compare overall sounds of NW HD 5 vs E015 ?

I would appreciate if you can share your experience about this as you also have HD 5.

Is E015 drag and drop capable ?

This is important as if we plug E015 to any hi-fi which provide USB slot but if the MP3 file is under OMG.

Believe the hi-fi won't be able to read/play it

Thanks a lot

Guest Stuge

Is the screen LCD or OLED?

On Sony's site it says LCD and on Sonystyle's site it says OLED it can't be both.

Welcome to AtracLife!

Sony site many times give wrong information regarding their own products .Its OELD .

Thank you for your answer Stuge.

I used to have a NW-E005, I can't see OLEDS in sunlight LCD would have been better.

£49 is very tempting for the 2GB I want the 4GB but at £78 it is 60% extra for 2GB more.

Edited by SP1

Welcome to AtracLife!

Sony site many times give wrong information regarding their own products .Its OELD .

Thank you for your answer Stuge.

I used to have a NW-E005, I can't see OLEDS in sunlight LCD would have been better.

£49 is very tempting for the 2GB I want the 4GB but at £78 it is 60% extra for 2GB more.

According to Sony Japan, it is LCD. If there is one Sony site that is most accurate, it is Sony Japan.

Also, by looking at picture, one can say it is LCD since the display shows backlight which is not present in OLED.

Edited by Zizone

Hi all!

Got my NW-E015 on Saturday (30 June) and so far am loving it.

Thought I would post here with some info in case anyone found it useful.

to TS:

did you try testing for hiss when volume is at 1/30?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I listen at really low volumes when I'm working and stuff.

I tried some cheap Sony in-ear phones and thought the player was very noisy. However, switching to a decent pair of semi-closed headphones confirmed that the player is indeed extremely quiet, in fact almost silent (with regards to noise).

I tried the volume at 1/30 and could not hear any noise or music come to that! Increased the volume on a pair of headphones with volume control and discovered the only noise was coming from the headphone volume control. So, to Techno Pride, the answer is the player is extremely quiet. (Hmm, didn't think you could listen to techno quietly! :D)

I didn't know there was a 4GB version, have looked on internet but can't find it. In any case, the shops don't have it. Shame, I would buy one if there was one. Mine was also £49 at Comet, currently reduced by £10 though it didn't say so on the display but the till correctly charged me £49.

For those that are curious about the display, it looks to me like LCD though I couldn't say for 100%, not having ever seen an OLED display. None of the shop models were charged and as usual the sales assistant didn't have a clue, though she was polite. I told her that I needed to see the screen in operation as I might not be satisfied with an OLED screen, and since she didn't know what an OLED screen was, could I return it if I wasn't satisfied? She checked with her manager who said OK and wrote this on my receipt in case I did want to return it. As it turns out, I'm very happy with it, I did not want a large handheld player with a screen that played videos but being able to see a thumbnail of the cover art is surprisingly handy, so it's perfect for me.

Hope some of that's useful to someone as I've found this forum very useful to me!

Kind regards,

mcv