• NW-HD3
    • NW-HD5
    • NW-A3000/1200/1000

Question

Choices are:

1. NW-HD1

2. NW-HD3

3. NW-HD5

4. NW-A3000/1200/1000 (included in one as they are basically the same players w/ different capacities)

My vote goes to the HD5 for the stellar battery life, size, interface, sound quality, removable battery, build quality, etc, etc. The HD1 and HD3 also look great, but without a removable battery and 10 hrs less battery life, it does leave a little to be desired. And I'm completely turned off by the NW-A series, being much bigger, shorter battery life, and easily scratchable. Sony made a mistake going away from the small, all-metal units.

23 answers to this question

I picked the NW-HD1 Had it for years, most beautiful HD-DAP ever made IMO. Compact, stylish magnesium house. Soundwise, later palyers are porably slightly better, though I found the HD1 quite enjoyable. Latter i had the A3000. Sexy thing, very good sound, better then the HD1, but sloooow, unreadable screen in daylight, ridiculously short batterylife.

I think NW-HD1 is one of the most stylish MP3 players in the world....

I'd really love a NW-HD1 remake with a colour screen (LCD) and the new functions like Clear audio etc.

I'd be the best DAP!!

But my vote went to the best MP3 player so far.... or at least the most complete..: NW-HD5!!!!

greetz

A little bit worried about what people are saying about the A3000.Every1 seems happier with the HD5 than the A3000.I just bought one for 150euro.I hope it´s good..

The A3000, in my opinion, just isn't that good of a player compared to the HD5. So really got it right with the HD5, easily the best HDD DAP ever made. The battery life is longer than the A3000, the HD5 is much smaller, and is all-metal so it won't scratch like the A3000, which scratches very easily. The A3000's screen also cannot be seen well at all in daylight, the entire A series leaves much to be desired.

This is simple. I don't have any of those, yet I can say the answer is HD5. It's metal, has standard USB port, removable battery. The A3000 lost because of propietary connector and non-metal body. The only problem with the HD5 is the cracking buttons.

I voted for the NW-A3000 simply because I think its the sleekest looking mp3 player on the market and it's easy to use. I think sony are struggling to find a way of improving on the look of this player and thats why they havent as yet released a successor as yet. The only drawback of this player is that the volume is quite low on some albums (even with the volume unlocked) and it scratches very easily. Even repeatedly putting it in (and taking it out) of the soft case can produce very thin scratches which you can see under a bright light.

I voted for the NW-A3000 simply because I think its the sleekest looking mp3 player on the market and it's easy to use. I think sony are struggling to find a way of improving on the look of this player and thats why they havent as yet released a successor as yet. The only drawback of this player is that the volume is quite low on some albums (even with the volume unlocked) and it scratches very easily. Even repeatedly putting it in (and taking it out) of the soft case can produce very thin scratches which you can see under a bright light.

clearly hd5 imo, as a 1000/3000 (1200 may be different ,dunno.) had not so great baseline sq, useless screens in sunlight, and a price tag to high in comparison to the competition. hd5 had the exterior of a mini hd, sturdy, sexy shell and great, removable battery. Had Sony only improved evolutionary on this player, things would have been brighter. I still remember a lot of reviews in Germany audio magazines that lauded the lab results. I figured Sony´s path for the future was clear cut but they chose to go a different route...

Edited by ceres

i go for the NW-A series, great quality inside and out, attractive design and the whole A series is very advanced like what it stands for, it has received many rewards and praise from many asian countries, which these countries are still supporting the sony brand, not completely taken by ipod, however i do find the hd5 to be just as good, all these sony HDD dap are better than anything else on the market

so is it true that the SQ of HD5 is better than NW-A series?????

Hi & welcome to ATRACLife.

The NW-A3000/A1000/A1200 sound is a little brighter & crisper than the HD5. One advantage the NW-A series has on the HD5 is that it's graphic eq works on both ATRAC and mp3 files, while the HD5's graphic eq doesn't. It does however have bass & treble settings that work on all codecs. I would say the sq is about the same.

Well after getting my HD5 stolen then the new one lost by fedex and now owning the NW-HD1. I have to say that although I don't think I'd revise my vote, the HD1 is one magnificent piece of hardware. The HD5 still gets the nod for some functionality advancements (initials search, removable battery, etc.), but I love my HD1! The HD1 with the brushed metal just looks so much cooler than my old HD5, love having a cradle, and it sounds fantastic (just as the hd5 did). Although in a couple yrs I may wish I had the removable battery, when looking at the manual it seems that replacing it is very simple. And $13 batteries on ebay make it even better.

So would I change my vote? Probably not just because of the functionality, but I love my HD1! Made in japan really does mean quality, the brushed magnesium shows it.

Edited by Rob A

both lines of the NW-HD1,3,5 and NW-A DAP are stylish and smart, they maybe not 100% perfect from different taste or liking, after all we expect sony to give us some new DAP soon. Despite HDD or flash memory, sony is good at designing great SQ DAP, maybe the software part will get resolved as we read the news....well at least some change can take place.

i just got my HD5! it's greatt. just wondering which earpiece best fit this machine?

Test around with different headphones and pick the ones that fit your budget and sound the best to you, it's all subjunctive.

And congrats on buying the HD5!

In case anyone is interested, here is a little comparison I made on HD1 vs HD5.

Pros of HD1 over HD5

- magnesium body instead of aluminum

- brushed metal

- lighter (3.9oz vs 4.8oz)

- made in japan (instead of mayalsia)

- cradle

Pros of HD5 over HD1

- improved battery life (40hrs vs 30 hrs)

- removable battery

- initials search

It's basically HD1 form factor vs. HD5 functionality. And I love my HD1, and have no regrets on getting it, especially because HD5s can be had nowhere, even now. I really like having the higher quality unit made in japan, sony hardly ever makes their products there anymore.