HD5 lost by FedEx, now what?

Rate this question

RobA

Question

I just got a message from the seller on amazon about my recent HD5 purchase, and fedex has lost the package, I was refunded my $190. For those of you who don't know, my beloved HD5 was stolen recently, so I had to purchase a new one. Now that this one has been lost by fedex, my options are limited. I cannot find the HD5 ANYWHERE! Not even ebay. However, there are a couple brand new HD1's on ebay.

So should I try to go for one of these HD1s that will probably go for about $180? I don't need mp3 playback at all. Besides the fact that the battery is not removable, are there any major differences between the hd5 and hd1? Is the sound quality the same? Battery life relatively the same? Does the HD1 automatically alphabetize all tracks when they are put on it? (this is what my HD5 does, very convienant) Do the controls work the same way?

Thanks for any replies, I'm even more frustrated now than when my hd5 got stolen...

Edited by Rob A

34 answers to this question

HD5 is definitely the choice, but HD1 like other people have mentioned, it's not bad at all. I have read before some reviews on HD1, so i attached them, maybe u already know about these facts, either way u are buying a good player

30959614-2-300-overview-1.gif

From its greenish backlighting and the familiar font labeling its tiny buttons to its sleek, metal-and-plastic casing, there is no doubt that the Network Walkman NW-HD1 is a Sony product. At 3.5 by 2.5 by 0.6 inches and 3.9 ounces, the 20GB HD1 is much smaller than the iPod and breaks the mold with a style and philosophy all its own.

The player is set up by pressing Menu, but holding the Menu button turns the player off, and no, this wasn't clear at the outset. The menu includes Repeat, various Play modes (Shuffle, 1 Track, Play Unit), Sound, AVLS, Beep, Audio Out, Contrast, Backlight, Reverse Display, and Format controls. Play Unit simply means that all tracks within a selected artist or album will be played. Sound includes the EQ settings (four presets and two custom) and V-Sur virtual environments such as Studio, Live, Club, or Arena.

The HD1 boasts bright and powerful sound quality despite the fact that MP3 files were converted to the ATRAC3 format. The various EQ and virtual surround settings are also top-notch, and users can really crank up the volume.

One of the HD1's bona fide selling points is its rated battery life of 30 hours. CNET Labs was able to best that figure with 30.6 hours in its drain test. Over USB 2.0, transfer times were equally impressive at 8.3MB per second. However, the same 100MB of MP3 tracks took a pathetic 0.06MB per second--nearly 27 minutes--to complete a dual transcode-and-transfer process.

http://shopping.msn.com/Specs/shp/?itemId=24759638

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/sony-n...7-30959614.html

Edited by gotthat

I just got a message from the seller on amazon about my recent HD5 purchase, and fedex has lost the package, I was refunded my $190. For those of you who don't know, my beloved HD5 was stolen recently, so I had to purchase a new one. Now that this one has been lost by fedex, my options are limited. I cannot find the HD5 ANYWHERE! Not even ebay. However, there are a couple brand new HD1's on ebay.

So should I try to go for one of these HD1s that will probably go for about $180? I don't need mp3 playback at all. Besides the fact that the battery is not removable, are there any major differences between the hd5 and hd1? Is the sound quality the same? Battery life relatively the same? Does the HD1 automatically alphabetize all tracks when they are put on it? (this is what my HD5 does, very convienant) Do the controls work the same way?

Thanks for any replies, I'm even more frustrated now than when my hd5 got stolen...

The NW-HD1 does not alphabetise all your tracks. There's no playlist function. According to Sony, the NW-HD1's battery can last up to 30 hours, compared to the NW-HD5's 40 hours. I can't comment on whether the sound quality is the same as I've never listened to a NW-HD5 before. I'm not sure what you mean by the controls working the same way . . . If you want to switch from, say, Artist to Album, you press the MODE button.

If you can live with all of that, go for the NW-HD1. :)

Edited by kerfuffle

The NW-HD1 does not alphabetise all your tracks.

Rats! The other stuff I can live with but that is pretty important to me. I was able to just throw all my tracks on my HD5 in any order, and when I to sort through them using the "tracks" search under menu, they were automatically alphabetized by track name. I also use artist search alot too, but both are pretty important to me. Are you sure there is no Track Search option in addition to the Artist Search option (the track search would show all tracks, all alphabetized).

All of these are used. I'm looking for new or refurbished, plus it looks like they are all from other countries.

Edited by Rob A

Rats! The other stuff I can live with but that is pretty important to me. I was able to just throw all my tracks on my HD5 in any order, and when I to sort through them using the "tracks" search under menu, they were automatically alphabetized by track name. I also use artist search alot too, but both are pretty important to me. Are you sure there is no Track Search option in addition to the Artist Search option (the track search would show all tracks, all alphabetized).
I hate to be the bearer of bad news (especially for a Walkman I love), but there's no Search function whatsoever on the NW-HD1. Edited by kerfuffle

I hate to be the bearer of bad news (especially for a Walkman I love), but there's no Search function whatsoever on the NW-HD1.

I'm aware of that, I worded that wrong. I know that the HD5 has an "initials search" function to search tracks by letter. What I meant to say, is after clicking the "mode" button on the HD1, is there a "Tracks" that shows all tracks in ABC order? I know the the option has Artist, Group, Album, Genre, etc. On the HD5, it shows Tracks, Artist, Playlist, Album, Genre, etc.

You can see it here: 31417605-2-300-DT1.gif

See how there is a "Track" option? Choosing that lets you navigate through all tracks, in ABC order, automatically organized by the HD5. Does the HD1 have the "Track" option under the mode menu?

Edited by Rob A

Darn that's no good. So all tracks are just sorta placed on there in any random order? Doesn't seem very smart.

Sounds like my old NW-E407, the tracks stay in the order you put them on. It doesn't sort them into alphabetical order :sad:

Sounds like my old NW-E407, the tracks stay in the order you put them on. It doesn't sort them into alphabetical order :sad:

Yeah, even my MZ-NH600D has an option to view all tracks in alphabetical order.

Well I took the plunge and placed a bid of $120 on a brand new NW-HD1. Although it lacks the ABC order thing, I found a way to sort them in sonicstage alphabetially, so I will just transfer them over to it that way, and they should stay in the order I transfer them. The thing is just way to sexy looking and at the price it's hard to not bid on it. Especially being brand new and not a refurb like the HD5 I had (and the one I would've gotten).

Edited by Rob A

Yeah, even my MZ-NH600D has an option to view all tracks in alphabetical order.

Well I took the plunge and placed a big of $120 on a brand new NW-HD1. Although it lacks the ABC order thing, I found a way to sort them in sonicstage alphabetially, so I will just transfer them over to it that way, and they should stay in the order I transfer them. The thing is just way to sexy looking and at the price it's hard to to big on it. Especially being brand new and not a refurb like the HD5 I had (and the one I would've gotten).

Good luck with the new player, hope you enjoy it. It's qiute a few dollars less than the refurb HD5. Maybe you can buy some new phones to go with the player or some new tunes. At least now you know what your getting and won't be dissapointed :)

Good luck with the new player, hope you enjoy it. It's qiute a few dollars less than the refurb HD5. Maybe you can buy some new phones to go with the player or some new tunes. At least now you know what your getting and won't be dissapointed :)

Yup, just gotta wait and see if I win the auction now. Ends Monday afternoon.

Yep, the tracks in the NW-HD1 stay in the order you put them on, in folders (or groups). You could make 26 folders for each letter of the alphabet, with all the tracks beginning with A in the A folder and so on. :) Edited by kerfuffle

I just located a brand new HD3 for $175. If I fail to win my auction for the HD1 (ends in about 20 hrs), I'll go for that most likely. Is the HD3's casing metal or hard plastic? And is the sony logo on the back engraved or printed? Is it made in japan like the HD1, or in Malaysia like the HD5? And does it offer any signifigant differences over the HD1? (I don't mean mp3 playback, that is useless to me)

Edited by Rob A

Converting that to Australian dollars, which comes to about AUD$250 (I'm assuming you're American), it's a pretty good deal for a brand new one; I paid twice that two years ago. :lol:

Yeah I think I got a good deal.

Kerfuffle, another question since you own the HD1. After transfering tracks, what does sonicstage show for the track transfered on the HD1? With my HD5, it would show all the names of Artists, then you would click the artists name, which would give you the album, and clicking that would open all of that albums songs by that artist. However, just show all the tracks, not sorted or anything, the same way they were before transfered. Does the HD1 organize them into artists/albums in sonicstage, or just transfer them as is?

SonicStage just transfers them as is, into a folder (known as Groups). If you don't specify what folder you want to transfer the song to, it'll make a new folder called New Group. If you want the tracks and groups to be sorted into a specific order, you have to do it manually. Hope that explanation helped. :)

I have an NW-HD3, and I *think* that the main differences from the HD1 is the keypad position (central on the HD3, mid-upper on the HD1) and the native ability to read MP3 (which you won't need).

On sorting the tracks, they keep on the order you throw them, BUT if you fill in the TRACK NUMBER field on sonicstage, the tracks will follow that order instead of the order you throw them in.

That's how my NW-HD3 behaves though.

I have an NW-HD3, and I *think* that the main differences from the HD1 is the keypad position (central on the HD3, mid-upper on the HD1) and the native ability to read MP3 (which you won't need).

On sorting the tracks, they keep on the order you throw them, BUT if you fill in the TRACK NUMBER field on sonicstage, the tracks will follow that order instead of the order you throw them in.

That's how my NW-HD3 behaves though.

I'll keep that in mind, I got an email on Thursday saying my HD1 was shipped via USPS. Kind of weird that I won it on monday and they waited till thursday to ship it, no biggy though. It will probably be here on tuesday or wednesday, then I will find out what it is all about. I'm very excited to get the HD1. The brushed magnesium looks sick, and I love the fact that it comes with a cradle, that's just so cool. The only real downsides I see so far is I'm going to dearly miss initials search, but everything else I can work around.

Another downside - if you want to transfer anything to the NW-HD1 you must connect the power adaptor to the power socket, otherwise you'll get a message on the Walkman when you connect it to the computer asking you to connect the power adaptor.

Another downside - if you want to transfer anything to the NW-HD1 you must connect the power adaptor to the power socket, otherwise you'll get a message on the Walkman when you connect it to the computer asking you to connect the power adaptor.

I expected that, not a big deal at all, it's not like I don't have power socket near by my computer.

My HD1 has arrived! Wow is she a beauty! It's charging now, will transfer songs over to it when it's done. Looks great at first sight except that "please recycle" sticker on the back, tried to remove it but it won't come off, no biggy though. Oddly enough the player kind of looks "dirty" on some spots, like a little bit of dirt or something was worn into it, as there are some very light gray spots on parts of it. Probably just developed over time from being in the new sealed box for so long, but otherwise, it looks fantastic!

Congratulations! ^_^

I didn't have any 'Please Recycle' sticker on my Walkman - must be an American thing. :lol:

Your NW-HD1 has black spots too? So it's not just mine, then. They were there from the beginning. :(

Well that makes me feel better, lol, I thought it was some defect.

edit - Does anyone know how to safely remove this recycle sticker?

Edited by Rob A

I've got a problem, hopefully someone can help me here.

After pressing MODE it brings me to the ARTIST mode to search by artist, which is what I prefer to use to find my favorite tracks. However, after picking a song from ARTIST mode, then I went into MENU and turned on TRACK SHUFFLE, to shuffle all of my tracks. But, it only shuffles the tracks from the Artist of the song I selected via ARTIST mode. I then tried UNIT SHUFFLE but it did the same exact thing. I then switched to GROUP mode, and then it shuffled all tracks in TRACK SHUFFLE.

Problem: How do I get ALL TRACKS to shuffle from the ARTIST Mode.

Thanks for any replies, this is the only problem I'm having. After solving this, the HD1 will be perfect.

You pick an artist from the Artist mode - don't go into their albums or tracks. Going into their albums or tracks will just shuffle the songs by that particular artist. Not the best solution if you wanted to listen to a particular song from the 5th album listed of a particular artist first, but it's the only one I came up with so far.

Edited by kerfuffle

You pick an artist from the Artist mode - don't go into their albums or tracks. Going into their albums or tracks will just shuffle the songs by that particular artist. Not the best solution if you wanted to listen to a particular song from the 5th album listed of a particular artist first, but it's the only one I came up with so far.

That's no good. What I like to do is go search through Artist Mode to find a paticular track (not all tracks by that artist), then let it continue to shuffle all songs.

Why is there both track and unit shuffle if they just do the same thing? Seems odd to me, there must be a way to shuffle all tracks after picking a song in artist mode.