S705 Dynamic Normalizer

Rate this question

Terence Kelly

Question

I have a relatively new NW S705 that I got from ebay after the Woot.com blowout pricing. I fiddled with many of the options and did not find that they had much impact, but the dynamic normalizer does. I listen mostly to classical music and Sony's 5 mw output is often a little low for music with a wide dynamic range unless the headphones are really efficient. I had a pair of headphones that I used and liked a lot with my Sharp 722 minidisc, but most of my Sony units have to be close to or at max volume to drive them. So I have used them sparingly with my Sony HD5. The S705 was a little louder that the HD5 but still getting near the max with those phones until I chose the dynamic normalizer. Now I can use my less efficient, but nice sounding headphones with the S705 at medium volume levels. The sound is excellent. Does anyone know exactly what the normalizer does? I'm guessing the volume of the digital signal is being altered before the D/A conversion. Without the normalizer on, the volume is nowhere near as loud even at max volume. The music still seems to have a normal dynamic range. Is this something like scale factor edit on the old minidisc decks only in real time?

TK

12 answers to this question

Basically all it does and setting the mean volume the same for all tracks on your player.

Now if your music was recorded on rather low volume (happens with classical music because extra headroom is needed for finales and climaxes) you would have to raise the volume and eventually run out of headroom, as you encountered. The normaliser would raise the volume digitally before sending it to the built in amplifier, giving a louder basic signal then before.

well i have also this feature on my nwe005 sony 2gb mp3 player and when i turn on dynamic normalizer on my pc and my walkman i really notice that it boosts the volume of track but it also losses the soundquality of track.so i use to listen to my mp3 with this feature off and now sound is more nice and real. in other words dynamic normalizer forces the recorded level of all tracks to the same volume hence sacreficing the sound quality of the track

well i have also this feature on my nwe005 sony 2gb mp3 player and when i turn on dynamic normalizer on my pc and my walkman i really notice that it boosts the volume of track but it also losses the soundquality of track.so i use to listen to my mp3 with this feature off and now sound is more nice and real. in other words dynamic normalizer forces the recorded level of all tracks to the same volume hence sacreficing the sound quality of the track

That's curious. I don't see that feature listed on the 005 nor do I remember seeing it in 005's menu. (My daughter has one.) The normalizer doesn't cause any distortion on the 705, but I am listening to classical Atrac files. There might be a difference between how it handles Atrac and mp3.

TK

well u probably dont have got in to deapeer in your nwe005.well it also have d normalizer under sound menu chek it out. it works same. well i m not talking abt distortion i m talking abt the quality of original file and the change file when u on this feature. it changes the sq of the music even if u on it on wmp11 it does the same effect that it changes the recording quality + dnormalizer takes more battery power

no 5 mw output is enough u see that how long their battery last not any mp3 can compete with sony in term of battery and sq. no that depends on the nature of mp3 files and recording quality

I would have to disagree, the cowon d2 has 78 mw output power and the battery is 50 hour playing music, better than the nw-a806

why man? what is the problem?

Maybe because large animated graphical sigs are annoying? If everyone was so rude as to have them, it would require a lot of scrolling and examination to find the actual messages. I've browsed many 'juvenile' forums where this was a major issue--a couple of lines of text with a half-page of sig junk. ANd it will stretch a thread to many unnecessary pages. For example, my post shows up on page 2 of this thread already. Without your sig, it would still be on page 1, along with another post or 2.

BTW, check out the other posts in this thread. Not one has a large graphical sig attached. Much easier to read.

Because you asked. ;)

Edited by drmoze

Maybe because large animated graphical sigs are annoying? If everyone was so rude as to have them, it would require a lot of scrolling and examination to find the actual messages. I've browsed many 'juvenile' forums where this was a major issue--a couple of lines of text with a half-page of sig junk. ANd it will stretch a thread to many unnecessary pages. For example, my post shows up on page 2 of this thread already. Without your sig, it would still be on page 1, along with another post or 2.

BTW, check out the other posts in this thread. Not one has a large graphical sig attached. Much easier to read.

Because you asked. ;)

hmmm. actually i am using this sig and avatar in all the forum i go. if there is any problem, and mod will warn me, than i will change it.

hmmm. actually i am using this sig and avatar in all the forum i go. if there is any problem, and mod will warn me, than i will change it.

Not a big problem here because, as you may note, yours is the *only* large graphic sig (but not HUGE like some I've seen!) on this thread. There are very few in the forum. But that is what the other poster was referring to, I believe. I peruse other sites where it is almost impossible to read the actual threaded discussion because of huge, animated sigs everywhere.

BTW, sorta related but I was checking out the S-703 that I got my gf, and the normalizer does help with the classical music she listens to. You may lose some dynamic range from the original recording, but it's more "listenable" when walking around, as soft passages are still audible.