NEW: NW-A805/A806/A808 Firmware Update 1.02

Rate this question

Ishiyoshi

Question

NW-A805/A806/A808 Firmware Update 1.02

514038615_0b7f7075d9_o.jpg

A new firmware update for the NW-A805/A806/A808 is available as of May 24, 2007 from Sony. The firmware update is of version 1.02 and amount to approximately 10,407 KB

Problems fixed with firmware 1.02:

★ Noise may occur when user activates Equalizer or VPT (Surround), and playback.

★ On rare occasion, user cannot operate the player when playing back a transferred MP3 file.

Affected units:

Network WALKMAN NW-A805/A806/A808 with firmware version less than or equal to 1.01.

*NOTE: It is not advisable to revert to previous firmware version upon update of firmware version 1.02.

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

Sony Asia-Pacific | Sony Japan

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

UPGRADE PROCEDURE

Download procedure

1. Set up the folder [FWUP] in C drive of your hard disk for storing the downloaded file.
  2. Save the downloaded file (A800_V1_02.exe) in this folder.
  3. When the download is completed, use Windows Explorer to browse to the folder where the file is saved. Click View and click Details.

* If the file size is the same as the download size (10,407 KB), the download is successful. If the size is different, please delete the file and download it again.

Update procedure
  1. Connect the unit to the computer.
  2. Quit all software running on Windows.
  3. Press the RESET button of the unit with a small pin, etc.
  4. Go to Start button on the task bar and click Run. The Run dialog box opens.
  5. Type C:\FWUP\NW-A800_V1_02.exe in the Open text box and click OK.
  6. The firmware upgrade program will be started.
  7. Please follow the instructions that appear to carry out the firmware upgrade.

* Please do not disconnect the unit from the computer during updating.

* During updating, USB connection is automatically controlled and "Connecting"? indication is off with the control. The USB disconnect message may appear on some computers.

8. When the message of completing upgrading is displayed, click Finish button.
Note:
  1. During this upgrade process, the unit requires a minimum of 15MB of free space.
  2. Please transfer all tracks and data from the unit to the computer before carrying out the firmware upgrade.
  3. It cannot be guaranteed that during the upgrade process, the tracks and data stored in the unit would not be damaged or deleted.
<HR noShade SIZE=1>

AFTER UPGRADE

Please confirm the version when the upgrade program is installed successfully with the steps outlined below. The upgrade program installation is succeeded when "1.02" is shown on the screen.

1. Press and hold the BACK/HOME button until the Home menu appears.
  2. Press the directional button to select (Settings), and then press PLAY/PAUSE button.
  3. Press the directional button to select Common Settings, and then press PLAY/PAUSE button.
  4. Press the directional button to select Unit Information, and then press PLAY/PAUSE button.
  5. Confirm the Firmware version is displaying 1.02.
Note: Please consult the local authorized Sony service facility for assistance with the Firmware Upgrade if there are any problems.

<HR noShade SIZE=1>

I've updated my NW-A805,

Damn this FW rocks!!.. all the distortions and noises I was hearing when playing ''The Fugees - killing me softly'' with EQ onwere just deafening....

Very annoying,

Bur now.... It's very clean. no distortions at all, and even the well-known background noise has become pleasantly quiet!

Thank you very much sony for the effort in making this FW update! Really appreciate.

It as like they read my thoughts: I just found out about this and was like damn, could they solve this with a FW update? And before I could speak, BAM! there was FW 1.02!

Now my Cowon F2 (wich I used for quiet songs due to its 95Db SNR) is going to eat dust now since my good'old Walkman is deadilent too.....

Superb work guys!!! It's the best and most usefull FW update I've ever done on any device!!!

And Ishiyoshi, thx for the great explanation!

greetz

Edited by DSP

Nevermind. I just ran the update and everything was fine. Things are looking good. Hope they continue to bring on more firmware updates in the future and maybe even add features! :-)

More functionality would be great. Even though this is an excellent player to begin with.

Hi there, checked on the Europe, UK site but it doesnt appear that there is an upgrade for Europe. are any of the upgrades useable for Europe player A808?

Thanks!

AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have just seen the light! i got mixed up with the picture of the new A808 (which I have) and the update for A608. Sorry guys! next time i'll read it moreclearly :huh:

Edited by 1TrackMind

Guest Stuge

AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have just seen the light! i got mixed up with the picture of the new A808 (which I have) and the update for A608. Sorry guys! next time i'll read it moreclearly :huh:

It is actually update for NW-8xx series ,Not for A608 .Actually there is no such model called A608 .

ok, so can i use this with my Europe UK version? also, do you know why the old Connect player software doesnt seem to work witht eh new video A800 series? or is there something i' not doing? it says A808 player failed to initialize and could not play error code: 82040308

I used to use connect for my A300 model

thanks

x

ok, so can i use this with my Europe UK version? also, do you know why the old Connect player software doesnt seem to work witht eh new video A800 series? or is there something i' not doing? it says A808 player failed to initialize and could not play error code: 82040308

I used to use connect for my A300 model

thanks

x

Which version of Connect (SonicStage) software are you using? I advise you upgrade to 4.3. or use the installation disc that came with your A800 so you also have access to Image Converter.

LOG

ok, i got 4.3 and this works fine, just that i have to import all files from Connect player, which i thought was different from sonic stage. apperently not then? so sonic 4.3 is working fine. i geuess i should stick with that then. do you know why there is no mention of the new firmware on sonys site? or is it ONLY for pacific/asia andJapan?

thanks

:)

Edited by 1TrackMind

ok, i got 4.3 and this works fine, just that i have to import all files from Connect player, which i thought was different from sonic stage. apperently not then? so sonic 4.3 is working fine. i geuess i should stick with that then. do you know why there is no mention of the new firmware on sonys site? or is it ONLY for pacific/asia andJapan?

thanks

In my version of SonicStage (4.3) for a device sold in Canada (and on my previous versions of SS) Connect refers to the online store. When I first started using SonicStage (way back when I got my MD, probably in 2002) there was no Connect store as it could not be accessed in Canada.

Not sure why there is no mention of the firmware at the Sony site. I asked this question in another thread but no explanation yet. BTW I upgraded my firmware on my A806 (Canadian version) and have had no problems at all.

Can you explain what you mean by "Connect Player"?

LOG

ok, connect player seem sto be another transfer file piece of software very similar to sonic. i think they brought it in 'cos of the problems soem people were having with sonic. but it seems that this time around with the new players they have reverted back to sonic. with my A300 i could use either sonic or conenct. and yes conenct si the music stor too. so its a little confusing. but yeah, there was also the software called conenct to get music onto your player.

i'll download the firmware then. does it matter which version to use, asia or japan?

:huh:

ok, connect player seem sto be another transfer file piece of software very similar to sonic. i think they brought it in 'cos of the problems soem people were having with sonic. but it seems that this time around with the new players they have reverted back to sonic. with my A300 i could use either sonic or conenct. and yes conenct si the music stor too. so its a little confusing. but yeah, there was also the software called conenct to get music onto your player.

i'll download the firmware then. does it matter which version to use, asia or japan?

I didn't even notice there were two versions! I just downloaded whatever the link posted here and installed the d/l. Yikes!

Where did you buy your device? Look on the back and see where it was manufactured. For example, my A806 was made in China so I would go with the Asia one over the Japan version.

LOG

OK, DOWNLOADED THE SOFTWARE. sorry 'bout caps. and the size is 10,657,792 bytes. in the post on the previous page it says if its not excatly 10,407 KB then download again. is this really true? i'm only a couple of bytes over is it necessary to do this again? i downloaded the asia one.

thanks

Guest Stuge

@1TrackMind:I will suggest you to download it again.As file size is quite important because you will be upgrading the players firmware .

or else you can confirm the file size from the members who have downloaded it ?

Hi all, downloaded the software again and tried the japan version and they are both 10,657,792 bytes and not 10,407 KB . Did anyone else notice this and did it matter in the end?

thanks guys

What are you using to check the byte size? Are you right clicking on the file and using "properties"? If I do this on the firmware upgrade for the e000 series firmware update (NW-E000_V2_0.exe) I get 4.43 MB (4,646,552 bytes). If I look at the "details" layout using Windows Explorer I get 4,538 KB.

Try using Windows Explorer/My Computer and see if the file size is the same as what is listed in the post.

LOG

since this is from japan, im wondering would this firmware remove the noise level limiter thats present on the UK models? just wondering whether I shall need to buy one from Japan. I also like the violet one, however it seems in the UK you can only get this in 4GB, whereas japan you can have it in the 8GB ver, correct? Also seems strange to me that play.com have the 808 ver for 179 whereas if you go on sonys site to get a leather case too you have to pay £215!

thanks

Now I see what you are referring to! The post has two servers (one with Sony Asia-Pacific, the other Sony Japan) for the same file! There is no difference between the file found at these two links, they are just using two different servers to distribute d/l'ing.

LOG

Now I see what you are referring to! The post has two servers (one with Sony Asia-Pacific, the other Sony Japan) for the same file! There is no difference between the file found at these two links, they are just using two different servers to distribute d/l'ing.

LOG

Thanks for the clarification, you learn something new everyday! there's me thinking i had to make a choice and wondering whether it mattered having bought the unit in london! thanks lulu :D

1. Set up the folder [FWUP] in C drive of your hard disk for storing the downloaded file.
  2. Save the downloaded file (A800_V1_02.exe) in this folder.

can't we save it somewhere else or do we HAVE to save it there?

Update procedure
  1. Connect the unit to the computer.
  2. Quit all software running on Windows.
  3. Press the RESET button of the unit with a small pin, etc.
  4. Go to Start button on the task bar and click Run. The Run dialog box opens.
  5. Type C:\FWUP\NW-A800_V1_02.exe in the Open text box and click OK.

after pressing RESET, can't you just go to where you saved the file and double click it? or do you HAVE to do that?

thanks in advance

Edited by DudeOnFire

can't we save it somewhere else or do we HAVE to save it there?

after pressing RESET, can't you just go to where you saved the file and double click it? or do you HAVE to do that?

thanks in advance

no you can save it where you want and then run it from there. :)

Has anyone tried this on a A808 bought in Canada. Currently the update is not posted on the Canadian Sony site so I am wondering if it is compatible... should be but I do not want to chance it.

Thanks

I posted the answer to this question in a previous message in this thread.

LOG

I just downloaded and installed it. Very easy, click on the blue square on the botom of the page. Instructions are in English, everything went smooth, and my settings have not altered.

Thanks dura, I'll download it. When I clicked on the link, I could only see Japanese characters so I was trying to find the download elsewhere, but maybe the English instructions are further down the page? I could only see ???????????????????????????????????????????????

Thanks dura, I'll download it. When I clicked on the link, I could only see Japanese characters so I was trying to find the download elsewhere, but maybe the English instructions are further down the page? I could only see ???????????????????????????????????????????????

Since the firmware is the same for all countries you can download it here too. Instructions in English.

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/...site=hp_en_AP_i

From the instructions for the 1.03 update:

1. "Please transfer all tracks and data from the unit to the computer before carrying out the firmware upgrade."

2. "It cannot be guaranteed that during the upgrade process, the tracks and data stored in the unit would not be damaged or deleted."

Well, I can't transfer any Atrac files back to the computer, as I always receive the message: "cannot transfer files back to library" - the only files I can transfer back to the computer are ones that are not Atrac. The Atrac ones remain on the player unless I delete them.

So I'm not sure I want to take the risk of updating if there's a chance all the data could be damaged. How big is the risk?

And has everyone who's updated managed to successfully transfer all their files back to the library?

Edited by juli

From the instructions for the 1.03 update:

1. Please transfer all tracks and data from the unit to the computer before carrying out the firmware upgrade.

2. It cannot be guaranteed that during the upgrade process, the tracks and data stored in the unit would not be damaged or deleted.

Well, I can't transfer any Atrac files back to the computer, as I always receive the message: "cannot transfer files back to library" - the only files I can transfer back to the computer are ones that are not Atrac. Atrac has to be deleted before it can be removed from my 808.

So I'm not sure I want to take the risk of updating if there's a chance all the data could be damaged. Has everyone who's updated managed to transfer all their files back to the library?

I would update/create a backup of your songs using the "Backup My Library" feature in SS. Then install the patch. If anything happens to your songs then just re-install them from SS.