Quirks of Sonicstage, help appreciated

Rate this topic

RobA

I've been really curious of this lately, hopefully someone can shed some insight on the subject.

1. I currently have my entire library (474 tracks) in Sonicstage, all of which have already been converted to ATRAC3plus @ 64kbps. However, in sonicstage under the "format" column where all the tracks are listed, it still lists them as "MP3" even though when I transfer then to a player it reads "ATRAC3plus Hi-LP." I have the transfer mode specified at 64kbps so they always stay that way, but no conversion takes place as they transfer as I have already previously converted all the tracks to ATRAC3plus 64kbps. What is weird is, it still reads MP3 in my library. How do I get my library to show all my ATRAC3plus converted files and not the original mp3s? I find it strange that during transfer, it does transfer the correct ATRAC3plus 64kbps file, but doesn't actually show the file in that format in sonicstage. I've even tried batch converting all the mp3s in sonicstage again to ATRAC3plus 64kbps again, took an hr, then afterwards it says all songs have been converted, but in my library it still just displays the mp3s and not the ATRAC files (which is what I want to see in my library).

2. On some of my songs (older ones for the most part), no matter what I edit in sonicstage for the Album Name or Artist Name, it transfers the song to the DAP the same way it was before I edited it. In Sonicstage, a song may read "My Happy Ending - avril lavigne - under my skin" for Track Name - Artist - Album, then I edit the song in my library to read "My Happy Ending - Avril Lavigne - Music Files". However, when transfering the song, the original artist name and album name appear on the DAP instead of the edited file in sonicstage. Anyone know why this happens? I end up having to change the ID tags for album name and artist name on the transfered screen of the player itself to fix it for every song that this happens to. I'd love for sonicstage to use the ID tags that I changed in My Library for all songs, not sure why it doesn't, if anyone knows how, please post. However, if I edit the Track Name, that appears changed after transfering it to the DAP know matter what song it is.

Thanks in advanced for any replies, this is quite frustrating at times.

Edited by Rob A

For the first question - Sonicstage transcodes your MP3s into ATRAC files for the purpose of transferring to your device. It keeps the original files in the library and kinda' 'hides' your ATRAC files. One benefit of this is that you can keep the better sounding files on your PC and save space on your portable device. If you really just want to get rid of your MP3s - which I wouldn't recommend given how proprietary and odd Sonicstage can be - you would actually have to go in and delete those files from Sonicstage's library or actually delete them fully.

For the second, are you adjusting from the album view? Sometimes, you need to go in and edit the track properties themselves, rather than the album name etc.

-Nav

For the first question - Sonicstage transcodes your MP3s into ATRAC files for the purpose of transferring to your device. It keeps the original files in the library and kinda' 'hides' your ATRAC files. One benefit of this is that you can keep the better sounding files on your PC and save space on your portable device. If you really just want to get rid of your MP3s - which I wouldn't recommend given how proprietary and odd Sonicstage can be - you would actually have to go in and delete those files from Sonicstage's library or actually delete them fully.

For the second, are you adjusting from the album view? Sometimes, you need to go in and edit the track properties themselves, rather than the album name etc.

-Nav

1. I don't want to delete my original mp3's, I have all my mp3s stored in a dedicated mp3 file folder on my desktop. I just don't want them in my sonicstage library, I want my transcoded ATRAC files in my library.

2. I adjusted them in all tracks view and album view, doesn't make any difference, they still transfer as if they were unedited. What track properties are you referring too?

1. I don't want to delete my original mp3's, I have all my mp3s stored in a dedicated mp3 file folder on my desktop. I just don't want them in my sonicstage library, I want my transcoded ATRAC files in my library.

2. I adjusted them in all tracks view and album view, doesn't make any difference, they still transfer as if they were unedited. What track properties are you referring too?

Hello Rob A.,

Hopefully you are using the latest version of SonicStage. That will be version 4.2/4.3.

This is how SonicStage can seem strange. By checking the properties of a converted track, under the File Info tab, you should see two file formats. One format for MP3 and another for ATRAC. If you were to delete the MP3 file then it will be removed from your computer at the path indicated in location. This will result in under file type for ATRAC3plus to be listed.

I have not been able to extensively test this, but this is how SonicStage works. When a converted track is transferred using Standard transfer mode, SonicStage will transfer the MP3 file. However, if converted track is transferred using Specified bit rate mode, SonicStage will not convert it if it is the same type (ATRAC3 Vs ATRAC3plus).

How do I get my library to show all my ATRAC3plus converted files and not the original MP3s? You will have to backup all your original MP3s by copying the to a different folder (this could be a sub-folder). Then you must manually delete all 474 tracks. I wish there was an earlier way.

Relating to the ID tags you should be using the most recent version of SonicStage as listed above.

One last question. What hardware are you using that has this problem?

Hello Rob A.,

Hopefully you are using the latest version of SonicStage. That will be version 4.2/4.3.

This is how SonicStage can seem strange. By checking the properties of a converted track, under the File Info tab, you should see two file formats. One format for MP3 and another for ATRAC. If you were to delete the MP3 file then it will be removed from your computer at the path indicated in location. This will result in under file type for ATRAC3plus to be listed.

I have not been able to extensively test this, but this is how SonicStage works. When a converted track is transferred using Standard transfer mode, SonicStage will transfer the MP3 file. However, if converted track is transferred using Specified bit rate mode, SonicStage will not convert it if it is the same type (ATRAC3 Vs ATRAC3plus).

How do I get my library to show all my ATRAC3plus converted files and not the original MP3s? You will have to backup all your original MP3s by copying the to a different folder (this could be a sub-folder). Then you must manually delete all 474 tracks. I wish there was an earlier way.

Relating to the ID tags you should be using the most recent version of SonicStage as listed above.

One last question. What hardware are you using that has this problem?

Wow that's weird how it just grabs the ATRAC file but shows the MP3 file. I'll probably just leave it alone, no need to go through manually deleting and moving my mp3s, etc.

And yes I'm using sonicstage 4.2 CP. Just yesterday I was transfering with my MZ-RH10, but I believe it happened with my NW-HD5 also before it got stolen.

For the second question, I believe that when you're changing the tags of your songs, it's only changing the tags of the MP3 file, not the converted ATRAC3plus file. That's why the changes are being registered on SonicStage, as your MP3 files are in the Library.

For the first question, you can always delete the MP3 from the Library (not from the computer itself), then re-import the song so that when you look at the format, it'll show ATRAC3plus Hi-LP instead.

That makes a little more sense, odd that it only edits the MP3 file.

One more question on Sonicstage, I've also been wondering this for awhile

On all of my units (hd1, rh10, 600D), after transfering songs, I try to put all the songs in ABC order manually. I just added 6 new songs today to my HD1. All the others are already alphabetized (set sonicstage to do that before transfer), but the new ones just become the last 6 tracks on the player. I can easily drag them to where they should be, however, when I try to drag them it takes FOREVER to drag it to wear I want it. Trying to get a song that starts with B from the end of a 500 song list to the top takes a few minutes, for just one song. There must be a quicker way to do this, anyone have a clue how to easily drag/place the song where I want?