NW-A800 EQ Discussion

Rate this question

hign n mighty

Question

• Answers 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Are the E4S Etymotics? If so that would explain the cold sound. I have never tried the E500s but UE Super Fi 5 Pro are a lot less expensive and cut it quite nicely for me.

It will be hard to duplicate 706 sound signature because Sony implemented quite a bass spike beginning at around 30 hz and ranging to around 100hz.

I was using the Shure E4c which I'm selling as well. They are fantastic for acoustic and classical, but I need something for all styles. I'm re-buying the super.fi's and can only hope they'll be OK. I'll report back if there's any joy!

When I first got my A806 3 weeks ago, I wasn't too impressed by the sound compared to my S706. I do agree, the sound of the A806 is cold compared with the S706's sound which is warm & full. However, the A806 is more detailed. I used the S706 this morning on my daily commute and can now say I prefer the sound of the A806.

So it's grown on you. . . interesting. Maybe it's just about giving it time to acclimatise to the different sound. Well, I definitely was not impressed with the E500s on it, even though I know the 500 is an excellent headphone. And the supplied headphones are out because of the lack of isolation. So it's one more try with the super.fi and then I'll make a decision whether to sell the 808.

I wish I wasn't so hung up on having to have the 'right' sound, but I've always nit-picked about SQ since I was 10! Fingers crossed that I can salvage something from the 808!

Thanks for the input

ppau, definitely interested to hear your views. I've got the E500's up for sale now and just got the UE super.fi 5 pro (which I also had with the 706 and sent back as was too 'warm' and 'thick')

And Ceres, you were right, the UEs with 808 are a good combo. The extra warmth the phones provide make it sound a lot closer to the 706, and that's with EQ off. The volume differences between the 500s and the UEs is strange as I only need to set the volume around 12 for the UEs and around 14/15 with the 500s - the only difference between the phones that I can see is the UEs have 21ohms impedance, and the 500s have 36ohms impedance.

Seems the Sony is more efficient at driving phones with a lower impedance - I found this to be true with the 706 as well. Also, the UEs still sound really good at lower volumes, whereas the 500s need to be turned up for them to sound good, except that too much started to distort (for me).

Of the two, I prefer the clarity of the 500s with the 808, but prefer the warmth of the UEs. The UEs are definitely more bassy without being too bassy. I think it's difficult to get something absolutely 'perfect', and having tried so many different headphones, I think the UEs are a good all-round match for the 808 and I think the 808 now sounds closer to the 706.

Waiting for your views on the 808 + 500s!!!

cb+3 0,-1,+1,+2,+3 with dynamic normalizer

I can't see why alot of you are complaining about the bass on this player. It's amazing and the eq is all about balance..duh..I suggest most of you try my setting if you want to be able to feel the bass punch...I am also using my e005 headphones I should note and wow the sound even on these is amazing.

Did you mean the E500??

I've had my a808 for 2 weeks and with my Sensa 2Xs there is no need for me to play around with the EQ. Very nice option to have, but so far I have only played around with it. I keep the EQ flat.

Regards - reynman

ive listened to the a808 with the se530 for well more than 50 hours, and i have to say that while it is a definite imprevement over the supplied head phones it is still not as warm as the s706f.

that said the 530 has tremendous amount of detail and you will definitley go through entire library just to hear things you never thought where there. the 530s also grow on you and you slowly appreciate the accoustic clarity. but it is still a "cold" headphone and i prefer warm ones.

i think i will go back to the s706 ( saw a couple real cheap on ebay ) or i might have to get a warmer headphone. but im keeping my 530 cause they really are good headphones.

i was just going through head-fi and the initial impressions of the westone 3 are really interesting. almost everyone who has listened to it agrees that they are darker than most and they have very deep bass without muffling other parts of the frequency range. it seems that it was supposed to be released on the 21st but there has been sevral delays.

im definitely lookin at these headphones to suppliment my se530 and hopefully they will produce something nice and warm! :)

i think i will go back to the s706 ( saw a couple real cheap on ebay ) or i might have to get a warmer headphone. but im keeping my 530 cause they really are good headphones.

It's a 'cold' headphone when paired with the 808 but I found it much warmer with the 706 because the 706 tone is warmer in the first place.

I'm still using the super.fi's which are much warmer than the E500 but slightly too uncomfortable to wear for long periods.

Can you get to try the 500s with the 706 before you go and buy another one?

It's a 'cold' headphone when paired with the 808 but I found it much warmer with the 706 because the 706 tone is warmer in the first place.

I'm still using the super.fi's which are much warmer than the E500 but slightly too uncomfortable to wear for long periods.

Can you get to try the 500s with the 706 before you go and buy another one?

yeah thats what im gonna do, try the e500 with the s706 and hear how it sounds. but i dont want to go back to the s706 because of the clunky interface, and especially after using the a808 that will be much harder.

have you tried the westone um2s? i heard that they are warmer than the e500 without sacrificing too much detail. and do the super.fis make the a808 as warm as the s706f?

have you tried the westone um2s? i heard that they are warmer than the e500 without sacrificing too much detail. and do the super.fis make the a808 as warm as the s706f?

I have um2's coming next week, just sold the super.fi's today. If I can't get on with um2's I'm giving up as this Goldilocks is fed up looking for just the right headphone!

The super.fi's do make the 808 sound warmer, (and God knows, the 808 needs it!!) - but it still doesn't make the 808 sound like a 706.

The 706 was warm without being 'thick' and the vocals were lovely and clear - whereas with the super.fi's the vocals sound like a thick layer of honey has been added. They sound almost foggy. After listening to the E4/E500 I really miss the clarity of the vocals and I didn't find EQ helped.

I was going to wait for the Westone 3, but the release date is still unknown, and I'm sure I'll nit-pick about those too. It's hard to choose a headphone based on other people's reviews, because although the Westone 3 is hailed as the 'God' of new headphones, so were the E4s and the E500s when they were released.

I do like the Shure sound for vocals and acoustic, it's so clear and detailed - and I found the super.fi's altered the balance too much for my liking. I have too say they were great for rock, and sounded really good at lower volumes. E500s and E4G (for me) needed to be set much louder to bring out the good bits, but I need an all-rounder due to the different styles of music I listen to.

I ordered the UM2s for $279 (including postage to the UK) from Earphone Solutions which was about $50 more than the super.fi's and $100 less than the E500s. They've got a 15% sale on all headphones from 26th June to July 4th, which was very fortunate for me, as I 'saved' $44 by ordering yesterday and not the day before!

I'm glad you like the E530s - it is a good headphone, but the 808 is so cold (to those of us who preferred the 706 sound) that it deperately needs a warm headphone - one that can closely match the clarity of the E4/E500, and smooth out the harshness of the 808.

It sounds like you're happy with the clarity but not with the 'coldness'. Well, my UM2's should be here in a few days - Royal Mail strike allowing! - and I will post my comments if you're interested, as we both seem to be in agreement about the coldness of the 808.

Much as I loved the 706 (which I haven't got anymore), I have to admit it's nice to see a screen as vivid as the 808 after squinting at the 706!

Edited by juli

I'm glad you like the E530s - it is a good headphone, but the 808 is so cold (to those of us who preferred the 706 sound) that it deperately needs a warm headphone - one that can closely match the clarity of the E4/E500, and smooth out the harshness of the 808.

It sounds like you're happy with the clarity but not with the 'coldness'. Well, my UM2's should be here in a few days - Royal Mail strike allowing! - and I will post my comments if you're interested, as we both seem to be in agreement about the coldness of the 808.

Much as I loved the 706 (which I haven't got anymore), I have to admit it's nice to see a screen as vivid as the 808 after squinting at the 706!

well im really interested in your views on the um2, as i did consider them but there was no way of trying them so i decided to go with the se530. any way i think that the um2 would be a better match for the a808. post back your views.

well im really interested in your views on the um2, post back your views.

I certainly will. If they sound clearer than the super.fi's and less 'cold' than the E500, I'll be happy.

They're also a lot cheaper than the 500s and only a little more than the super.fi's (with the July4 discount). I sold the 500s for exactly what I paid for them, so didn't lose anything.

Would hope to get UM2's by Saturday if the postmen are back at work. and will post once I've had a few hours with them.

Is your only complaint about the E530 that's it's 'cold'? I had an issue with the quality at higher volumes with them on the 808, (too bright) I think it's something to do with the 36ohms impedance - the 808 seems to function better (for me) with lower impedance phones.

The UM2s are 27ohms so might be better match.

They're also a lot cheaper than the 500s and only a little more than the super.fi's (with the July4 discount). I sold the 500s for exactly what I paid for them, so didn't lose anything.

wow. that is amazing. where did you sell them? i find that you cant really sell anything for the original price,no matter how little you've used it. usually buyers expect half price or simliar.

Is your only complaint about the E530 that's it's 'cold'? I had an issue with the quality at higher volumes with them on the 808, (too bright) I think it's something to do with the 36ohms impedance - the 808 seems to function better (for me) with lower impedance phones.

yep. in fact after listening to them ( se530) for more than 3 days straight i find that the bundled phones are warmer, although they are lacking in detail and bass response ( but still good for bundled 'phones). thats why im looking at the 2 westones and i hope you give some valuable in sights into them once you get yours.

wow. that is amazing. where did you sell them? looking at the 2 westones and i hope you give some valuable in sights into them once you get yours.

I sold them on Amazon.co.uk as 'used' but with unused earpieces as I was using my own ones that Shure sent me a few months ago for the E4Gs. They were sold within hours. Of course I'll post back comments about the UM2's. More 'research' seems to place them somewhere between the super.fi 5 pros and the E500/530 so I'm hopeful I'll like them. :)

PPAU - check this link to someone who compared the E500 with the Westone 3

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.p...147#post3071147

Very brief, but you might find it useful to read before you fork out for the Westone 3 in haste!

hmm that gut there doesnt really say anything about the westone 3, he just seems to be praising the se530. any see how you go with your um2s and then ill have to wait for proper reviews of the w3.

Juli look for my post on headfi.org about using EX earbuds on UM2... it makes them sound soo much better. The foams that come with the UM2 sound like rubbish!

Enjoy your UM2s I do :)

Thanks - I've got some spare EX buds plus I've also got the new Shure black foam tips, so won't need to the use the regualr tips if they're that bad!

juli ,after reading what u have experienced on a808 ,i gotta say i feel u man ,i can't stand the sharpness of a808 that i sold it a couple of days ago .i think i might go back to s706 .but i still iffy whether the s706 can saticify me ,r u sure the s706 sound different without bringing any sharpness?

thx in advance

high n mighty - I honestly feel that the 706 has a much nicer sound than the 808 - it's smooth, clear, detailed and rich, and doesn't grate on the ears the way the 808 does.

If you read some of the views, you'll find people want to know how to make the 808 sound like the 706 - not the other way round. . .

When you said: "Go back to the 706", I thought you'd owned it - but if so, you'd know the sound of it, so maybe I misunderstood you. So I'm assuming you haven't tried it before. If you're one of those that felt the 808 was too harsh (and you obviously are) - then I'm pretty sure you would love the 706. Just because it is smoother sounding doesn't make it any less clear or detailed than the 808 - I found it extremely detailed with more clarity than the 808, and a much more 'liquid' tone which is much smoother on the ears.

As you'll notice from the posts - the 808 and 706 do have different sound signatures - it's really down to what your ears prefer. I found that I could listen to the 706 for hours and hours and never tire of it - with the 808 I need to give my ears a rest every hour or so just because I'm more sensitive to it's sharpness compared with the 706. Maybe this is why you didn't get on with the 808 either, in which case you'd almost certainly like the 706, no sharpness at all.

If you get the 706, be sure to post back your views on it.

Edited by juli

high n mighty - I honestly feel that the 706 has a much nicer sound than the 808 - it's smooth, clear, detailed and rich, and doesn't grate on the ears the way the 808 does.

If you read some of the views, you'll find people want to know how to make the 808 sound like the 706

- not the other way round. . .

When you said: "Go back to the 706", I thought you'd owned it - but if so, you'd know the sound of it, so maybe I misunderstood you. So I'm assuming you haven't tried it before. If you're one of those that felt the 808 was too harsh (and you obviously are) - then I'm pretty sure you would love the 706. Just because it is smoother sounding doesn't make it any less clear or detailed than the 808 - I found it extremely detailed with more clarity than the 808, and a much more 'liquid' tone which is much smoother on the ears.

As you'll notice from the posts - the 808 and 706 do have different sound signatures - it's really down to what your ears prefer. I found that I could listen to the 706 for hours and hours and never tire of it - with the 808 I need to give my ears a rest every hour or so just because I'm more sensitive to it's sharpness compared with the 706. Maybe this is why you didn't get on with the 808 either, in which case you'd almost certainly like the 706, no sharpness at all.

hey,

I actually prefer my slightly eq adjusted 808 although I can understand why you like 706 sound better. Last week I attended a queens of the stone age concert concert here in town. I absolutely loved the sound setup and color that was totally different from the washed-up cd sound. I find it very easy to duplicate this kind of tonality with the s7.

I think the "shrillness" of the 808 has been grossly exaggerated in this thread. It could very much be that the 706 sound better (i've never heard it so I can't judge on that) but even so the 808 is one hell of a good sounding player. Of the players I've owned this is easily the best sounding of them. (nano, nw-a1000 and Iaudio U3). Together with my ath-ck7 I get a sound that is amasing. Tight punchy bass and sparkling (not shrill) highs.

So maybe a little perspective here... :)

I think the "shrillness" of the 808 has been grossly exaggerated in this thread. It could very much be that the 706 sound better (i've never heard it so I can't judge on that) but even so the 808 is one hell of a good sounding player. Of the players I've owned this is easily the best sounding of them. (nano, nw-a1000 and Iaudio U3). Together with my ath-ck7 I get a sound that is amasing. Tight punchy bass and sparkling (not shrill) highs.

So maybe a little perspective here... :)

It's not exaggerated at all - if you'd heard the 706, you'd notice the difference. By the way, the 808 is a good-sounding player - no-one's saying it's bad - we're just discussing the differences in sound between that and the 706.

It's not exaggerated at all - if you'd heard the 706, you'd notice the difference. By the way, the 808 is a good-sounding player - no-one's saying it's bad - we're just discussing the differences in sound between that and the 706.

That's just my point. Maybe it is "shriller" than 706 (do you by that mean more powerful highs?) but it is *not* a shrill player compared to much of the competition like nano, cowon's and so forth

That's just my point. Maybe it is "shriller" than 706 (do you by that mean more powerful highs?) but it is *not* a shrill player compared to much of the competition like nano, cowon's and so forth

Yes, it is 'shriller' than the 706. I still don't know any technical speak, but I need to set EQ to CB+2 0, 0, -1, 0, -1 for it to sound smoother. . . does that help you understand which parts I find 'shrill'? I think it's only noticeable to people who've used the 706. If I had never heard the 706, I would be OK with the 808, as the presentation is still very very good compared to anything else out there - it's only that I preferred the sound of the 706. If you were able to try one, you'd know exactly what I mean.

Like I said before, I am getting used to the 808 the more I use it - but coming from the 706, it takes some getting use to.

Juli what headphones are you using with the A808 - if you using stock ones - cover the 3 vents with about four layers of clingfilm then pin prick the centre hole.... you will find things warm up and be less harsh.

I'm waiting for the UM2's to come through hopefully tomorrow. I remember you said they would be better with 'bright and lively' players. I did try the super.fi 5 pro's but found them to be only OK with rock, not so good with acoustic etc. Plus the vocals seemed altered somehow.

Veggie, I'll try the clingfilm as I'd use the stock buds as backup anyway. I'm hoping the UM2s will be clearer in the vocals than the super.fi's

I'm waiting for the UM2's to come through hopefully tomorrow. I remember you said they would be better with 'bright and lively' players. I did try the super.fi 5 pro's but found them to be only OK with rock, not so good with acoustic etc. Plus the vocals seemed altered somehow.

Veggie, I'll try the clingfilm as I'd use the stock buds as backup anyway. I'm hoping the UM2s will be clearer in the vocals than the super.fi's

juli,imo u don't have 2 look 4 another headphone just 2 get a more similar sound as 706,coz i also tried many headphone 2 get rid of the shrillness that a806 brings,but anything i do seems to be in vain . so i suggest u just go 2 cop an s706 instead which i ve been considering 2 purchase.

If you read some of the views, you'll find people want to know how to make the 808 sound like the 706

- not the other way round. . .

juli i never owned a s706 nor did i give it a listen,

it 's all about ur post on the sq compasion between a706 n 808 which convince me the sq of ll about ur post on the sq of s706 is what i want.coz i found the only thing i m not saticified with on a806 is the shrillness(sharpness).

whitch can't happen on s706

i will post my views ASAP

juli,imo u don't have 2 look 4 another headphone just 2 get a more similar sound as 706,coz i also tried many headphone 2 get rid of the shrillness that a806 brings,but anything i do seems to be in vain . so i suggest u just go 2 cop an s706 instead which i ve been considering 2 purchase.

The only problem is the 706 is only 4GB, and I needed the extra capacity - if I didn't, I would have kept the 706.

But the UM2's are here now so I'll give them a try

Yes, it is 'shriller' than the 706. I still don't know any technical speak, but I need to set EQ to CB+2 0, 0, -1, 0, -1 for it to sound smoother. . . does that help you understand which parts I find 'shrill'? I think it's only noticeable to people who've used the 706. If I had never heard the 706, I would be OK with the 808, as the presentation is still very very good compared to anything else out there - it's only that I preferred the sound of the 706. If you were able to try one, you'd know exactly what I mean.

Like I said before, I am getting used to the 808 the more I use it - but coming from the 706, it takes some getting use to.

yep i will have to agree with juli on that the a808 seems to have a more shriller sound when compared to the s706. i have both and i can vouch for the warm sound of the s706 although with a little bit of eq tweaking the a808 can be rid of the harshness although no eq can give it the warm sound of the s706 , IMO.

The only problem is the 706 is only 4GB, and I needed the extra capacity - if I didn't, I would have kept the 706.

But the UM2's are here now so I'll give them a try

i found not the 4 gb capacity the problem but the clunky interface. after using the a808 there is really no way i can go back to turning nobs!!

I don't know the 7xx, but I too prefer the smooth sound of the NW-HD1 and A3000 I used to own.

But I did get used to the sound of my A808, it's still musical and, using atrac256 kbs, not really sharp, it misses the small but welcome midbassbloom of other Sonys. But in return you get more spatiality and more details, and not the fatigue that f.i. my friends 2G Ipod nano gives.

I can still listen to it for hours, and there are not many DAPs that od that for me.

I use Shure E4, settings now: no normaliser, no DSEE, no clearstereo, no CB either, +1,+1,0,-1,-2-,-1 .

In short, more bass, less midhighs.

I changed my mind about DSEE, it seems to smoothen the treble, but at the cost of reducing 'spark', it seems to take swomething away from the music, so I now switch it off. I'm also not very happy with Clear Bass (on the Shures), that gives more punch in the bass, which I do not like.

I don't know the 7xx, but I too prefer the smooth sound of the NW-HD1 and A3000 I used to own.

But I did get used to the sound of my A808, it's still musical and, using atrac256 kbs, not really sharp, it misses the small but welcome midbassbloom of other Sonys. But in return you get more spatiality and more details, and not the fatigue that f.i. my friends 2G Ipod nano gives.

I can still listen to it for hours, and there are not many DAPs that od that for me.

I use Shure E4, settings now: no normaliser, no DSEE, no clearstereo, no CB either, +1,+1,0,-1,-2-,-1 .

In short, more bass, less midhighs.

I changed my mind about DSEE, it seems to smoothen the treble, but at the cost of reducing 'spark', it seems to take swomething away from the music, so I now switch it off. I'm also not very happy with Clear Bass (on the Shures), that gives more punch in the bass, which I do not like.

to each his own. that´s the great thing with a function eq setting. personal taste and greatly varying phone setups can all be accommodated by one single device.

i´d never buy anything else (again)

yep i will have to agree with juli on that the a808 seems to have a more shriller sound when compared to the s706. i have both and i can vouch for the warm sound of the s706 although with a little bit of eq tweaking the a808 can be rid of the harshness although no eq can give it the warm sound of the s706 , IMO.

can u removew the annoying shrillness thru tweaking ?

i've almost tried every means to tweak my a806 right ,unluckily ,i just can't get the warm sound i want without losing any details.for me i don't think a806 is not as good as 706 in terms of tweaking